Sandboxie-Update of Browser Software

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TheKid7, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I just started using Sandboxie essentially all of the time on all three of my PC's. I am wondering how Browser related software such as McAfee SiteAdvisor, Finjan Secure Browsing, WOT, etc. can do updates if I have the Browsers "Forced" to Sandbox almost all of the time. Are the updates of these programs done outside of the Sandbox or do I have to update it somehow with the Browser un-Sandboxed?

Are there any other potential problems that I need to know about that would be caused by running Sandboxed essentially all of the time.

Thank you.

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I believe you'll have to update them when the browser is not sandboxed. Sandboxie copies whatever is in the program files, so if it's updated it will copy the updated files.

3. MitchE323

MitchE323 Registered Member

You create openfilepaths to those programs folders, and only apply the openfilepaths to those programs executables. You use Windows Automatic Updates for Windows and IE updates. You should be able to surf continuously sandboxed at all times with no problems. There may be a program (Firefox), that keeps files outside of the program folders - such as a user profile. In those cases that folder is set as the openfilepath and again is only applied to that program executable (Firefox.exe). So it is really a matter of you discovering what it is that needs to be updated and creating an openfilepath to that, and importantly, only applying that openfilepath to that programs executable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.