Sandboxie Technologies (SBIE Open source) (VERSION 5.33.6 ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by bo elam, Apr 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

No, doing that is not possible with one setting.

Bo

2. EspressoGuy

EspressoGuy Registered Member

When will a Windows 10 executable be released? I hope it addresses the problem I've been having with recent releases--Chrome doesn't remember websites or 2FA (I have to enter password and 2FA code each time I close and restart Chrome). Problem doesn't occur outside the sandbox.

Rolling back to 5.31.2 seems to have solved the problem but I want to be on a more recent release. 5.31.2 requires registration verification every 180 days.

3. Buster_BSA

Buster_BSA Registered Member

First thing I must say is I didn't take a look to BSA for many, many years. I just checked if I'ld be able to compile the source (no problem) because I even didn't know if that was possible at this point.

When I stopped BSA development was for two reasons: major changes to underlying architecture on Sandboxie that made me to consider Sandboxie was not suitable anymore for malware analysis and because all features I wanted to include in BSA were done already.

I just looked for what I wrote when I announced I was stopping development and this is what I told: "After a few tests with Sandboxie version 4 and due the major changes to underlying architecture I have considered Sandboxie is not suitable for malware analysis anymore, therefore Buster Sandbox Analyzer development will be discontinued."

I can't remember exactly what changes were that or if Sandboxie was improved and now that changes that made me think that way are solved.

First thing I want to do is to check if LOG_API is working fine on Windows 10.

4. bo elam

Good news. The Cert has been approved. So, that part of Tom setting himself up is all done. The first release by Tom will be a Sandboxie version without any changes to the Sandboxie code and will be released just for testing the Cert (to make sure the Cert is OK with Microsoft requirements). The only change in this initial version is going to be the Sandboxie version number. :)

Bo

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  5. plat

plat Registered Member

bo elam, do you estimate or foresee a new version coming out that would be better compatible with Windows 2004? This would ideally be prior to its (v. 2004's) general release at the end of May.

No pressure or anything. :shifty:

6. SandboxieDev

SandboxieDev Registered Member

Good news! Sandboxie Technologies has just been approved to receive an EV-Cert. Once I get the hardware dongle with the private key I'll be able to sign the Sandboxie driver. So the first open source "signed" version of Sandboxie will happen soon. I'm planning to do a clean build of the open source code base as delivered with no changes. Also, I'd like to bump the version of the first open source release to 6.0. A beta version 6.1.1 with some minor fixes will follow.

7. bo elam

According to Tom, Version 5.33.6 is compatible with W10 2004. So, we should be fine even if no new SBIE version is released before the upcoming W10 upgrade. I ll add something else. Version 5.33.6 also works with FR W10. With FR, there is a minor issue between SBIE and IE, but I know Tom is aware of that (he told me about it) and is working on fixing it.

Bo

8. plat

plat Registered Member

Thanks, bo elam. This was actually on Insiders build 19603 (Fast Ring). Opera was taking 6-7 sec. to open, versus virtually instantly on 18363. It seems minor "on paper" but it in reality, it got to be a real drag. No changes or additions to the system either way. It was the only issue.

Reading what you wrote, it seems something particular to my machine--but there's very little besides Windows installed. At least for now, it works as intended--Windows build 18363 with Vivaldi instead of Opera in the Default box. That's my mindset: "at least for now."

9. focus

focus Registered Member

Great news! Thanks!

10. bo elam

I think its probable that is something in your machine that triggers the issue in 19603 with Opera.. Anyway, we should be all set for the coming upgrade.

What Tom told me is that he tested Sandboxie in 19613 (and is working ahead) and the only issue he found is with IE (high cpu usage and very slow). He didn't mention any problems with Edge or Chrome. He uses Chrome so he must have tested Chrome and is probably doing it continuously.

Bo

11. wissec

wissec Registered Member

Good news, thanks for informing us. Waiting for the first releases. :thumb:

12. plat

plat Registered Member

OK, thanks for the info. I was getting cascades of various ESENT and Schannel errors/warnings while in 19603 so I wonder if that had anything to do with it. 99% of the time, I blame my machine in these matters, but it doesn't mean the issue isn't legit or that it's a snap to resolve. Just have to keep trying again when circumstances permit.

OK, looking forward to new Sandboxie developments, it's some good news for sure.

13. bo elam

Regarding ESENT errors. I read other people in W0 2004 report a bunch of those errors. So, you getting them doesnt surprise me and is likely your computer is not the culprit. Certainly, Sandboxie doesnt have anything to do with them.

Regarding Schannel errors or warnings. I think they are warnings. I never seen them in W10 but in W7, I did get them a few times while running IE. They come in bunches all at the same time. And look bad and scary the first time you get because you dont know what they are and they are a bunch, many. I investigated. And every time the culprit was a particular website that did not comply with some security standard in IE. So, if you visit a website that doesn not comply with IE's security standards or requirements, the Schannel Warnings will get issued. Is easy to reproduce the warnings, just try to figure which is the website that triggers the warnings when you visit it. As with the ESENT errors, SBIE doesn't have nothing to do with the Schannel Warnings.

Bo

14. Monica2000

Monica2000 Registered Member

Hi, I'm new here, thanks to all the people who make it possible for sandboxie to stay alive. I bought the license a few years ago and it's a must-have program for me.

15. camelia

camelia Registered Member

Hello,

Thank you @bo elam for this new Sandboxie thread :thumb:
    I prefer a Sandboxie with no big changes: Conservative.

Meanwhile I will download Sandboxie 5.33.6 from Sophos
    https://community.sophos.com/produc...ndboxie-5-33-6-release-and-open-source-update

Even if this build does not come with new features and is not an “official” build

Camelia

16. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

ofc its offical because that time sophos owns the code. the version number means beta or pre-release and such builds always had some corrections for windows 10 builds in the past (and maybe chrome or other little nifties).

the open source project is not official from my view, it has several (two) developers where build numbers may vary, David wrote about version 6 which is a huge jump. this thread may point out which build may succeed more.

17. bo elam

Hi Monica, Bienvenida a Wilders. I am glad you are here.

Bo

18. bo elam

You are welcome, Camelia. When I wrote that, I did it for most of us as I believe most old Sandboxie users feel as I do regarding what we want for SBIE in the future.

Bo

19. bo elam

Brummelchen. I don't know how many times I told you this but you are making me do it again: Please quit bringing noise and confusion to Sadboxie threads.

You are doing it again here when you say "David wrote about version 6....".

It is Tom's fork whose first open source release will be version 6, not David's.

Stop creating confusion.

Bo

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Spectacular news! Thanks a plenty and all the best. :thumb:

21. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

Thanks Tom!!! :)

22. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

@Brummelchen
    as bo already wrote it was Tom's idea to start with a version jump for the new open source releases of the conservative branch.

my future releases will be labeled sandboxie-plus and start with 1.xx so that should help to distinguish the two projects further.

23. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

sorry, who? but idd i missed #31. anyhow i will sit and wait and watch who resolve issues first ;)

24. GrDukeMalden

GrDukeMalden Registered Member

Currently using Sandboxie 5.33.6 I've used process explorer to see what integrity sandboxed applications are running as. Every now and then certain applications will be started as "medium" instead of "untrusted"

To rectify that error I need to terminate all processes in the box in question and then box that same application up again at least once.

I also have seen this happen with Mr Xanatos' 5.40.1

25. diversenok

diversenok Registered Member

It is a caching bug in Process Explorer. I reported the same bug in Process Hacker almost three years ago. Sandboxie swaps the security context of sandboxed processes right before they start. If Process Explorer happened to query and cache the integrity level before that, the column shows the wrong value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.