Sandboxie+ Roadmap

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, Jun 6, 2022.

1. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

Really! Perhaps you should just unistall SB as you have other options.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@Brummelchen
    I am grateful that David offers a free version for users.
    All devs have to make money somehow. The amount of time and effort he puts in has to be applauded.

You can use Plus in the same way you use Classic to test new software, there is no difference in how it is done. I can test new software without using any of the options in Plus. Just a simple right-click on the new software and select run sandboxed

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Out of respect for you and to avoid issues with Plus fans, I won't tell you what I really think of what you call great new plus functionality but I will tell you that I wouldn't be using SBIE anymore if there was no Classic version. Thank you, David. Thank you for Classic.

Bo

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  4. plat

plat Registered Member

"bloated"--I don't understand how that applies to the Plus UI. If some features aren't used or are idle yet have no impact on the performance of Sandboxie (at all), why would this be considered "bloat" here and not elsewhere, in another software like an antivirus for eg. Or Windows (good night).

I mean, if it's OK, I'd like to maybe say something along the lines of: incorporating the key features of Classic into a sub-heading in the Plus UI. Like make salient features from the Classic UI a tab in the Plus UI. That way, users who are used to Classic will still find what they need without giving it up. Something like that, that doesn't require a month of Sundays to develop.

I mean, I apologize if I'm being impudent or out of line as a regular user. I just love this software, you know? :)

5. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

Better to brace yourself for the inevitable. And why not? Sandboxie is one of the best apps ever developed to counter viruses, malware, etc. One could hope but never expect
    Sandboxie to remain the humanitarian equivalent of a nonprofit Goodwill or Salvation Army. And Sandboxie blows any freebie AV you could possibly download out of the water.
    Perhaps @DavidXanatos will be gracious enough to consider offering a reasonably priced lifetime license in the mix. And since I'm the bloke that broke that bad news in advance, I would humbly accept from David a pro bono lifetime license with all due consideration. :D

It should be rather obvious in light of the versioning and ramped up development, and the developer's poll taking for the best "final" touches/embellishments that Sandboxie is a ripe candidate for a yearly subscription status. May Sandboxie live long and prosper.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  6. StillBorn

Please share the alternatives you have in mind.

7. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

And what features would that be? As I said numerous times now there shouldn't be a single feature in the classic UI that is not already ported to the plus UI.
    Somehow people when thinking about the plus UI always thing of pre 0.5.0 builds which does not include things like recovery and other features, but these were incomplete work in progress builds as noted by the < 1.xx version number.

I have looked over the classic build and found 2 minor things that it seams I missed
    "Send to" integration
    and
    Recovery Log

These are very minor and will be added in 1.1.2

If there is anything else I might have missed, post it in this thread please, the first user to point me to any classic functionality that is still missing in plus (except the aforementioned once) will get a free medium supporter certificate.

Let the hunt begin!!!!

8. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

So you dont appriciate the ability to by default protect all your personal files, or the nice ui to configure network restrictions?

Why would having more options/abilities/features to you be a bad ting?

What UI changes to sandman would you require in order to use it instead of sbiectrl.exe?

9. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Sorry if I dare to speak for plat1098, but I think he does not mean that he misses certain features of the Classic build in the Plus build. I think his statement refers to the location: He would like to have placed the (important) "Classic features" on a specific place of the Plus-UI where they can be easily found by "conservative" users. ("[...] incorporating the key features of Classic into a sub-heading in the Plus UI. Like make salient features from the Classic UI a tab in the Plus UI").

Just as remark to avoid misunderstandings.

10. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Okay fair enough, and which features would that be exactly?

Its fine to claim classic it better for once work flow, but its not fine NOT to say how plus should change (or ratter what classic view it should add) in order to be a great replacement for the classic UI.

11. Peter 123

@DavidXanatos: I think plat1098 will tell you. I have no opinion about it (for me the UI of the Plus version is o.k. as it is now).

12. bo elam

I appreciate your work, David, but regarding protecting personal files by default, I don't see any reason to change settings that have worked forever. Beside that, I create the folders were I save my personal files, and don't use any of the folders that come with Windows that are designed for us users to use for saving files. So, in my computers, and I am sure in many other users computers, you can not protect personal files by default. It is impossible for SBIE to automatically know the folders I use for saving files and the specific files that I want to block from being accessed or being read by programs that run in the sandbox..
    Dave, I don't want changes. Changes are not needed. Sandboxie got its UI around mid 2008. Since then, the UI never changed, I am so used to it, that to me, it is the perfect UI. It might not be pretty, or modern but it is perfect. I don't want this design to go.
    Regarding new features. I don't want any. In all the years I used Sandboxie, I seen people asking for all kind of features and changes for SBIE, including adding some sort of AV, or behavior blocker, or have SBIE work like a firewall. Tzuk and later, Curt and other developers stood firm and kept Sandboxie as a sandbox program. Personally, thats all I want. A sandox program that works. Adding features doesn't make SBIE stronger or easier to use. One thing that really annoys me with plus is this. Why change the Sandboxie lingo?

Bo

13. bo elam

David, I almost forgot. Someone in the forum took issue with an statement that I wrote in an earlier post. I said that I wouldn't be using SBIE anymore if there was no Classic version. He call me impolite for writing that.

I don't see why anyone would think is impolite to tell you that. If no one tells you, you might think no one cares about Classic. It makes no sense. But what am I going to do, stay quiet and be censor or tell you. Telling you how I feel and how I would behave if there was no Classic is not disrespectful.

And actually, it is to your advantage to know how I feel. As you know, I am one (if not the best) one of the best known Sandboxie promoters that there are. It has been like that for years. I believe it does benefit you to know my feelings about Classic. If I was to stop using Sandboxie, it would behoove you to know why that is. Pure common sense.

Once again, thank you for Classic.

Bo

14. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Yes I can, because Sbie does not have to know.

How you describe it is not how this feature works, may be you should read the changelog and make yourself familiar with the new features, the privacy enhanced mode is a fundamental change in how sbie handles access rules.
    Old Sandboxie applied a black-list approach, that is a virus can read anything and everything at any location it wants, unless the user specifically blocks them by setting them as WriteOnly or Closed.
    The new Sandboxie when a box is set to use user data protection uses a white list approach, so now by default boxed processes can only read "C:\Windows", "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)" and nothing else, so you see sbie does not need to know where you store your super secret data, It just protects everything except exceptions.

So if I would add a view mode to sandman that looks exactly like classic we would not need sbiectrl.exe anymore?

Well but a sandbox program can still have multiple levels of quality, protection, etc...
    And to be honest sandboxie as it was in the past really only prevented infection of a system, but did not prevent applications from stealing your data. That seams very insufficient to me!
    I want/need higher standards, a program I don't trust or I suspect might get taken over by malware should not be able to read my private data. Be that files on disk or the memory or let say my password manager. Old sandboxie did not prevent eider of those really bad things.

What is lingo or do you mean logo?

I don't know but I can speculate...
    one may assume just the UI not being enough of a reason to ditch such software like sandboxie, hence one may assume its an empty threat, so a means of coercion hence impolite.

I agree, but what would benefit me most would be insight how to make sandman.exe a viable replacement to sbiectrl.exe for all users, including you.

As said I can add a "classic" view mode and make it look like sbiectrl, but here it would of cause be helpful to know to what extent this should be done. I mean I could replicate the sbiectrl UI in Qt 1:1 but do I need to, what aspects of the old UI seam superior to you?
    Would it be enough to make the main window look the same, but let the variouse menu options instead of popping up barebone windows with 3 check boxes instead took you to the modern settings window to the right tab where you can find what you need?
    Probably the biggest question is would you insist on the box properties/options window look like in sbiectrl.exe or are you using it seldom enough that the modern plus version would be acceptable?
    What other windows could stay modern? Recovery, or do you desire an exact old replica of that? Resource monitor, come one that one is so bare boned no one can what to keep using that, surely taking the modern widget and lust putting it into a standalone window would be great, wouldn't it?
    What else?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  15. plat

plat Registered Member

Who's "he"? The concept I'm TRYING to define is shrinking the Classic user interface down and embedding it into the Plus interface. Sort of maybe having a pane with both as a button the user can choose between. Or, like I said, accessing the Classic interface thru a tab at the top of the Plus interface.

I'm not talking about "missing" features--where do you keep getting that idea? I'm (She's) talking about accessibility of one inside the other so that one wouldn't have to maintain two separate things. If it doesn't work, whatever. But the underlying idea was not to alienate Classic users if the decision to discontinue that prevails.

"As said I can add a "classic" view mode and make it look like sbiectrl, but here it would of cause be helpful to know to what extent this should be" quote per DavidXanantos--finally, this is more like what I've meant!

16. Peter 123

Oh, I am sorry. In fact, I had already considered to write "she" as I vaguely remembered that your username was combined formerly with a female head as avatar. But I was not sure about this, so I stayed with the more common (in computer matters) "he". But I will remember from now on (I hope). ;)

PS: Just now I see that in your description is written anway "Gender: Female". In the future I will better take a look into these descriptions before using a spontaneous "he" (or "she"). :)

17. StillBorn

@plat1098 "he" ....... I was waiting for that.:argh:

18. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

I just switched from classic to plus out of curiosity. So far it works nicely. As a none native english speaker for me it feels that there are sometimes a lot more options (with more text) to choose from.
    E.g I just wanted sandboxie plus to use my ramdisk G:\ path. I had to look at the help what was meant with the three option sandboxie plus had.
    Sandboxie file system root,Sandboxie registry root, Sandbox ipc root. So if I understood it right I only had to change the Sandboxie file system root for that?
    In classic you chose the path G:\ and would be done.
    Don't add to much option otherwise you could get stuck with only hardcore users and new ones are afraid to just look into the settings at all. (And the maintenance will be a nightmare).
    That being said thanks a lot for keeping sandboxie alive.

19. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

you (and Stillborn) noticed this?
    https://xanasoft.com/product-category/sandboxie/
    click into the "products" please. in special:
    There exist no hint in any place that business people need a licence, not when installing and not on github
    https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie

also the GPL3 agreement does not handle a business usage
    https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/blob/master/LICENSE

it is not only donation any longer. but this is anyhow far away from my personal use
    there is nothing like sandboxie, but i am able to use several other methods which i used before sandboxie existed. and this includes also other virtual environments.

i already paid for a license when tzuk owned it, so it does not matter for me. if this would come, and classic ends, he will lose a paying customer. if nobody tells him, he never will know (see bo).
    and ofc some people were able to crack it in the past, this will happen again because the code is open source. either the code is going closed source and paid, or the current way.

to clarify one thing, i am a gracefull user of sandbox for years now, paid and free. my earliest setup file in my collection is "Sandboxie-1.0-Beta", 1.0 was release 2004
    https://sandboxie-website-archive.github.io/www.sandboxie.com/VersionChanges-2.html#v_1_0

but i like to have a honest word and not to find out myself.

20. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

21. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i am not registered to github, but we talk about 5+10megs so i post it in private.

22. StillBorn

As this is your reply to my previous inquiry--"Please share the alternatives you have in mind."
    Now I'm sorry I asked.:confused:

23. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

GPL and busyness use cases works, see Googles Android, or RedHat Enterprise Linux, etc, etc...
    Also sandman.exe being completely new code has an own license, so if you are a GPL Maximalist you will have to stick to the classic build.

And just to clarify: no I'm not intending to make Sandboxie subscription based for personal use in the foreseeable future. That said I'm also not planing to offer any sort of not super expensive life time certificate for plus features. Sandboxie is perpetual work hance it needs to be perpetually compensated, well at least as long as one wants updates. Paying once and sticking to an archaic version without fixes and improvements but with plus features is fine, although not recommended security wise.

About cracking, you cant crack the driver without cracking Windows's Driver Signature Enforcement (DSE), which you can with https://github.com/Mattiwatti/EfiGuard the one rootkit you can trust. But that's something for a personal use case, no serious business will install rootkits or disable DSE by enabling the Test Mode on their PC's.

24. g17

g17 Registered Member

Hi David, I posted this in another thread a few days ago.

I use the classic version still by the way.

I use SBIE like most others to plug the biggest exploit holes in my security. I just did my semi annual Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner tests.

As usual it found zero issues because of SBIE.

The browser and email exploits are obvious uses of SBIE but I still have another one to go.

That is inserting USB drives or CD's from others to view the contents and/or run programs that are unknown risks.

I know I could create a new sandbox and add the drive letters and change the restrictions and program starts etc etc. but I don't have 100% faith in my abilities.

A simple right click on the drive to open a sandboxed explorer view would be ever so handy. There seems to be one there in the contest menu but it does not respond when I use it.

It's very likely I am missing something here, sorry if this is a dumb request. Thank you for your awesome work on this software.

25. StillBorn

From a logical standpoint, why not ditch the free-to-download (lack of) business model in lieu of an annual subscription? The donor list would have to range from depressing to an insult compared to a subscription based product. (And with respect to all 2,000 donors vs 20,000 subscribers... how's that bank account looking now!) Only you know how much blood, sweat, and tears you've poured into this project. And by the looks of it--- quite a bit. A subscription based product would give you more time, the resources, and idealistically more incentive to maintain a legendary app that's been on the map for over a decade.

From a mercenary standpoint, a lifetime license offer will help buffer the rancor, contempt, and ire that will inevitably follow after your announcement of a subscription requirement. Oh, it's never pretty reverting from a free lunch to a paid dinner; and yet Avira, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, et al, manage to wage (pun intended) on. Have confidence in yourself and Sandboxie and present it to the market as the paid for product it deserves to be.

Offer Sandboxie in a few more iterations and dot all of the tees and cross as many eyes as possible over the next several months. And then break out the most advanced Sandboxie ever created for a mere $30 a year with the staggering bargain of a lifetime license of $65. Apple pie and Chevrolet all over again.

Sincerely,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.