Sandboxie recovery problem

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Zyrtec, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

I running the latest version of SBIE [version 3.68] on Windows 7 Pro SP-1, 32 - bit.

The problem I'm seeing is when I download files from, let's say FileHippo or MajorGeeks from a Sandboxed Mozilla Firefox [version 11.0] SBIE prompts me to recover the downloaded files to my default download location "C\Users\User\Downloads". So far so good. The problem is, when I finish my browsing sandboxed session and close Firefox, SBIE, again, prompts me to "recover" the same exact files I had already recovered when it had prompted me for "Immediate Recovery" earlier. Furthermore, I have it set to delete all the contents of the sandbox once the last browser window is closed.

So, why is that happening? Is it a bug?

Thanks,

Carlos

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Zyrtec, I don't know what to tell you but when I tried what you describe, on 3.67.03 and 3.68, immediate recovery worked perfectly. So, I guess it is not a bug, I am on XP SP3 32Bits.

Bo

3. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Thanks for your response but, I think you misunderstood what I posted originally.
    I'm not saying I'm having problems with "immediate recovery"; that feature is working as it's intended to. The problem is, once I have recovered each one of the downloaded files marked for "immediate recovery" and, I finish and close the sandboxed Firefox, Sandboxie prompts me to recover the SAME exact files I had recovered earlier through "immediate recovery".

If I have already recovered those files, why are they still in the sandbox prompting me again for recovery upon closing my sandboxed browser?

Something must be wrong here.

Carlos

4. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Hi Zyrtec, are you using anything else with SBIE?

Thanks

5. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi, chris1341

No, I'm not using anything else besides Sandboxie [latest version 3.68] on Win 7, 32-bit SP-1.

I usually just right-click Firefox v11.0 icon on my desktop and select "run sandboxed" from the drop-down menu. Then, I browse to MajorGeeks and download some executable files from there. Sandboxie prompts me to "immediate recovery" of those files once FF finishes downloading them. The files are placed on the default location I've setup for this: "C\Users\User\Downloads" and, I can see the files icons [along with file size and properties] on that folder through Windows Explorer.

When I'm done, I just close FF and see the yellow diamond-shaped Sandboxie icon on systray changing to a red X while emptying the contents of the sandbox.

The problem is that SBIE again, prompts me to recover those files before purging the sandbox.

Could this problem be because Windows Defender is [was] accessing the sandbox to scan the files while they were being downloaded?

I'm not using any AV or AS on my system other than WD [default, Windows] and AppGuard [SBIE has rights on AppGuard already, just in case, before you might ask].

So, I'm clueless why this is happening. That's why I'm guessing this might be a bug on newer versions of SBIE.

Regards,

Carlos

6. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Oh well, bang goes that idea! I had an issue with OA run safer causing similar results by stripping Sandboxie processes of rights to delete.

Does it still happen with AppGuard disabled? Where is the sandboxie container - default or somewhere in 'user space'? If the default are you adding it to user space or allowing guarded apps to write to it?

Right click/send to sandboxed processes are invoked by start.exe just wondering if it is being restricted by AppGuard and thereby preventing proper deletion?

If it's not AppGuard related maybe need to report in to Tzuk as a fault?

Cheers

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I was saying, when I tried immediate recovery, I did not get the extra prompt for recovery that you are getting.

If you are only using one sandbox (default box)and I think you are, create a new one and using default settings, run your browser and see if you still get two prompts for the same download. That really is the first thing you should try when you have a problem with SBIE.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.