Sandboxie Plus (Sbie fork)

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

From my view you need to improve the installer script because it does not recognize previous installations based on sophos/tzuk. Querying the registry is very easy.

2. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

You mean the plus installer?
    It should, and when i tested it it said Classical sbie found and offered to uninstall it.

3. Survivor

Survivor Registered Member

I referred to the general sandboxing functions. I would't see the snapshots related. However if that and the obsolete routine removal was all, then I would rather point to the new function. Will fallback for now and see with the next release.

@Brummelchen For me it also asked, legacy exists, do you want to uninstall first.

4. Brummelchen

I spoke about the latest release → SandboxieInstall32-v5.43.exe
    It does not offer Upgrade as usual instead a pretty new installation which could mean it did not find the current installation (5.33.6). Either not the "Uninstall" tree or not the program tree.
    I don't want to perform this. Reason is that my scripts are able to find previous installations, either original or altered.

technically the sb script is on a high level but it lacks a lot of modern elements which are faster and it uses sometimes code where better routines are present are much more save. (in special all the registry stuff). But it needs a lot of time to get trough.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  5. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Ok let me know if it really works fine with the old build.

IF the issue is really the new build would you have time to install a few test builds with incremental changes to pinpoint the exact issue?

6. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

It should offer "overwrite" and "remove" and at a quick test from 5.33.6 to 4.43 it did that as expected.
    I'm not going to redo the installer for the legacy release branch as its legacy.
    The sandboxie plus installer though may get a option for the user to choose if SbieCtrl or SandMan should be used by default.

7. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

I don't know how, but I've installed your 5.43 without any issues on two Windows 10 computers.

I just needed to restart computers.

Thank you.

8. Brummelchen

No, it don't. It starts like a brand-new installation.
    - language, license, path

it should be:
    - language, upgrade|uninstall

those do right:
    SandboxieInstall32-v5.40.0.exe
    SandboxieInstall32-v5.41.0.exe

do wrong
    SandboxieInstall32-v5.42.1.exe
    SandboxieInstall32-v5.42.exe
    SandboxieInstall32-v5.41.1.exe

digged - you should revert this code adding and its dependencies later.
    maybe it won't happen when I install the builds one by one, but without sh*t happens
    or insert:
    and leave the rest as it was.

9. Survivor

OK, here we go, just a list of games
    5.42.1 all run fine (Of course with the known Unity delay, or you terminate the SBIERcSs.exe, then it starts normal)
    Stardew Valley
    Darksiders 1
    Darksiders 3
    Dishonored 2
    Outward (Unity)
    Desperadoes 3 (Unity)
    Excepton with last version:
    Noita crash no way to keep it running, some previous version let me run it, even when crashed, but the error message had to stay open. I love such error, where it tells you something crashed but in fact it still runs and in this case even showing running sandboxed. :cool: (SBIE2224 as below)

New version 5.43
    Startdew Valley
    Darksiders 3
    Outward (Unity)
    Dishonored 2
    Noita crash, but keeps running (SBIE crash error), later brings the RcSs service error.
    2020-09-06 20_45_06-Messages from Sandboxie.png

All the other games have the same common issue, they bring up werefault, then start the SBIE RcSs with werfault, after sometime, all of the games (programs) throw the following sandboxie error: Cannot start sandboxed service RpcSs (-1)
    2020-09-06 20_44_02-Messages from Sandboxie.png
    The problem is, does the werefault which comes immediatly stops then the service to run, or is an issue with the service the trigger for werefault. Old Egg-Hen problem :confused:
    Hope that helps. If you have any idea, I can try.

@Brummelchen I was installing the previous version again 5.42.1 and then upgraded with SBIE+ with this question coming, then I stopped and tried the legacy
    2020-09-06 20_33_28-Sandboxie-Plus Setup.png

and legacy asked me to overwrite. So all as expected. But honestly due to the reboot all the times, this can get confusing at times. Though I guess you were very thorough if I see the list you made. ;)

10. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

hmm and non game programs work fine liek firefox chrome etc?

I can create some intermediate builds with, for example with only the snapshots but roll back the change to the changes hooking mechanism.

11. Brummelchen

your image shows a dialog after i would have clicked "Install" and thats not acceptable. i precisely want the same dialog as before - NO decision in between, only BEFORE. that is common behavior of installers, not those what your images show.

what else shows your image!? "Do you want to continue?" means what? continue uninstalling or installing anyway? it is not precise enough what is done next. thats reason why tzuk designed the old script as it was and not like now.

Dont know if David is aware of such confusion but I am.

12. Survivor

Gotcha, yep I see your point.
    The only clean one is, do you want to continue, should be in context of it, continue to uninstall first. If no, the options are not that clear.
    So yes, it should be more clear and as we try to help make it easier too, I am with you.
    First before you install, it should already warn you that legacy is installed.
    However there is another issue with the installer, as there is no autoupdate search once it starts, which would then update before SBIE was once used, it makes it more complex. As soon as you one time used the sandbox, uninstall and overwrite will fail. Due to the sys files locked in memory.
    So it would be good to check first if the driver is active. If it is, not sure if the installer can unload and stop the service then. I am not 100% with how I name it, never made drivers. If not a suggestion to reboot and then direct start the installer is an option.
    One more question, isn't the difference between legacy and plus more or less the other interface with new options? Besides this both are the same, why do we need to remove the legacy then? Do I miss anything?

13. Survivor

Well, I use it for Game isolation, but no prob, I think there is no issue with normal programs. Games are not normal, they are freaks of extremes.
    Here you go Firefox, Gimp no issue, all fine. I wonder, if the message rings any bell, while the SBIERpcSs brings up, as the program werefault, after some time this error message about the windows service rpcss equivalent which can't be started. I would guess this worked before.

14. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

please try this build: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L3GjBGc-jnpo7VB4FSHBWC_Q-DgwjtXr/view?usp=sharing
    its with the snapshot facility but without the changed to the hooking mechanism

15. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Because the legacy may be outdated and we need the right driver version. An alternative would be to update the legacy build instead of removing it, but why having two installs one is enough.
    If you want to keep the legacy installed use the plus as portable.

16. Monica2000

Monica2000 Registered Member

Some time ago i was using Origin and Uplay installed inside sandboxes with no issues. I could play games like Crysis 2 or Crysis 3 running inside Sandboxie. Since the latest Sophos versions (particularly that version who allowed hotmail logins) i couldn´t. Sandboxie-plus gives me the same error. I can´t login into my Uplay account because it says there are not Internet. I can login into my Origin account but when i launch games it says the same: i can´t register my games because there are no internet. I thought it was a problem with the Windows version and I installed version 1903, but I still have the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  17. feerf56

feerf56 Registered Member

2020-09-07_100442.jpg I can't see properly. Is it possible to adjust the colors? Release v0.4.0 / 5.43

18. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

I upgraded from 5.42.1 to 5.43 and SB Control fails to load correctly; the big "!". SbieDrv.sys is still set as an exception in AVG Internet Security (latest version) and the path is correct. Reverting to 5.42.1 by installing "over the top" and all works ok.

19. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Does AVG rememebr the exceptions by file name or by hash? you may need to recreate the exception for every update.

20. Survivor

With that install, which made Avast really nervous, it scanned each and every bit, but found nothing. However it all worked again, with the usual Unity hickup, but all worked.
    Even more, Noita works again as well, with the following issue as I saw before, leave the error hanging and you can play, like there is no issue, if you click OK, it will stop the program. 2020-09-07 16_35_31-noita.exe - Application Error.png
    Just to be clear this one seems to be a special little one. Works without error outside of the sandbox. So those errors are SBIE specific.
    I hope that helps.

21. Survivor

Are you sure, you have the Internet not blocked for the Sandbox you use for UPlay and Origin, they will not work without access. As they are those kind "spywares". Also you should not block it in Firewall of course.

22. Survivor

If it is still listed as exception, did you make sure to restart between the install or at least updated before you used SBIE first. Otherwise some files get locked in Windows and can't be exchanged. I would try to uninstall, reboot, then install new. Make sure it was uninstalled.

23. henryg1

Hi David
    After much playing around and adding exceptions to AVG, I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled 5.43 but retained my settings and Sbie Control loads, but attempts to run any program results in
    SBIE2204 Cannot start sandboxed service RpcSs (-1)
    and while I have seen your earlier comments on this error I do not know what to do.

So I thought I would reinstall 5.42.1 over the top, and now Sbie Control again fails with the "!"; the error messages are
    SBIE1101 Sandboxie driver (SbieDrv) version 5.43 initialized
    SBIE1101 Sandboxie driver (SbieDrv) version 5.43 initialized
    SBIE9234 Service startup error level 9154 status=00000000 error=0
    SBIE2331 Service start failed: [22 / 5] Access is denied.

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall 5.42.1 and hopefully I can get it working again. Else maybe 5.33.6 and then 5.42.1.

If all else fails it's back to my last system image, although I am reluctant to do that as there are always issues to be resolved afterwards,

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  24. henryg1

OK, uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling 5.42.1 (retaining settings) has done this trick, so I'm going to stick with that for now.

And thanks to Survivor for the advice too.

25. Survivor

I hope you read, what I wrote just one message before, the ! means usual it didn't install properly. Once you used SBIE, you better reboot, or it might fail. You can uninstall and restart then fresh install, or just reboot and overwrite, both should work.
    The RpcSs is the issue I face at the moment too, with the 43 release. What program are you trying to run, when you get the error?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.