Sandboxie Plus (Sbie fork)

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

This build brings the new SandMan UI a large step closer to full feature parity with SbieCtrl

Download: https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/tag/v0.3.5

ChangeLog:

Added
    • Added settings window
    • added translationsupport
    • added dark theme
    • added auto start option
    • added sandbox options
    • added debug option "NoAddProcessToJob=y"
    Changed
    • improved empty sandbox tray icon
    • improved message parsing
    • updated homepage links
    Fixed
    • fixed ini issue with sandman.exe when renaming sandboxes
    • fixed ini auto reload bug introduced in the last build
    • fixed issue when hooking delayd loaded libraries

2. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

I've downloaded DAVID'S 5.41.1 from comss.ru and installed it without any Bitdefender complaints.
    Go figure.

SB.PNG

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

any chance for other color than that ugly pink? this is here not really a contrast.

4. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

You mean for the icons? find me a page the offers better for free and I will take a look if i like them better.

5. Survivor

Survivor Registered Member

Hey guys, I think too, the pink is weird, compared to the old yellow Pizza icon. Here, how about a Sandman eating the Sandboxie Pizza, needs a bit more work maybe, but it is not pink and I made it so it is for free :)
    upload_2020-7-20_22-55-41.png

6. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I could be wrong, but I don't see any options for quick recovery in Sandboxie Plus. In fact, I wasn't even told that a download had finished inside a sandboxed browser. Is there a way to enable that?

7. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2020
  8. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

9. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

I thought it was AVG for a while even though I had added exceptions as after disabling AVG the correct version installed. But NO it was my own idiocy as bit more investigation showed I had 3 installs on my pc. I am generally very careful, and have no idea how I allowed this to happen :oops::ouch::eek:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  10. Brummelchen

whats the current source?

11. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

icons8.com if you email them with a github link to you r opensource project you gan a free account

12. Bronko

Bronko Registered Member

Unfortunately the new open source version does not have a signed driver, nor do the tips with the whitelist work for me.
    When I start the new version only a window appears with any error messages.

13. Brummelchen

14. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

When you do open source projects you get a account like a payed user would have just that you don't pay anything for it.

15. Brummelchen

maybe you should ask your audience which color style they like to have if you stick with the gradient style where are several gradients optional. from my view, blue or the dark grey i would like most.

16. Survivor

I take it, you didn't like the pizza eating sandman? Mhhh, I thought it would be a fun one. Too bad. I still like the idea. :)

17. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Well the "pizza eating sandman" is a nice idea but a bit to big for an icon though.

Holly ******** I never realized I can change colors on them hahahaha..... that's amazing!

Yea so users what color would you like?

EDIT: i could grab a lot of color variations and make it a setting in the app LOL

18. Survivor

second try :)
    upload_2020-7-23_22-33-11.png

The color choice box is interesting too.

19. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

haha...
    and for the tray icon? It should be 16x16 and in 2 versions one representing no programs runnign and the other representing programs running in sandbox.

20. Survivor

I did pixel by pixel in the times of Atari on Degas Elite, but this 16x16, didn't remember it was that small in the notification area. let me see... Challenge accepted LOL

21. Bliv

Bliv Registered Member

I'm so lost! Hope someone can help me.

I've been using SBIE for years. Mostly use it to run Chrome browser which is installed outside the box and I run it in the box. Also use it occasionally to install some software when trying it out.

I never had any problems in all the years I used it, mostly in Windows 7. Been using Windows 10 for a year or two and recently I just can't seem to get SBIE to work right.

Until today, I had Chrome working, but for months I have not been able to install anything in the box.

I made the mistake of uninstalling SBIE today to try to start from scratch and then reinstalled the latest 5.42.1 x64. OS is Windows 10 Pro x64.

Now not only can't in install anything, but I can no longer run Chrome in a sandbox. I seem to get this same kind of error no matter what I try to do in a sandbox. I'm lost! Don't have any idea how to get this fixed and I am so reliant on SBIE. I don't like running my browser without it (which I am doing right now).

I have tried to get help with this error in the past in the old Sophos forum, and a few other people said they were getting the same errors. But no one ever seemed to have a solution.

I would greatly appreciate any help. I really miss using SBIE for installing software and need it desperately for running Chrome.

Thank you so much for any help!

Here are the errors I get when I try to run Chrome now:

SBIE2101 Object name not found: \Sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\ISWWH_BEACON@1a68@EFR-controller, error CreateEvent (C0000022) access=001F0003 initialized=1
    SBIE2101 Object name not found: \Sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\ISWWH_BEACON@1384@EFR-controller, error CreateEvent (C0000022) access=001F0003 initialized=1
    SBIE2204 Cannot start sandboxed service RpcSs (1)
    SBIE2204 Cannot start sandboxed service DcomLaunch (-4)

============
    It's this darn SBIE2101 error that happens no matter what I try to run in the sandbox. Other people said they were getting it too, but no one seems to know what to do about it.

BTW, when I installed SBIE 5.42.1, Windows Defender quarantined SbieDrv.sys. I had to exclude it and restore it.

Anyone have any idea how I can fix this error? Don't want to say I am desperate, but yeah...I'll go ahead and say it anyway!

Also, I am not running any other malware software. Windows Defender is all that is running.

Thanks again.

22. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

SBIE2204 Cannot start sandboxed service RpcSs (1)
    SBIE2204 Cannot start sandboxed service DcomLaunch (-4)

is not good, can you start other processes in the sandbox?
    Try starting cmd.exe notepad.exe explorer and may be an other web browser.
    if that work, try starting chrome from an already open cmd.exe

23. Bliv

Bliv Registered Member

Hi DavidXantos, thank you for your reply. If you can't solve this I don't have a prayer!

Before uninstalling SBIE I was able to run Chrome in a sandbox. But everything else I tried to run ended with this same 2101 error. Now after I did a reinstall, nothing will run in a sandbox. I get the same "Object name not found" error no matter what I try to run.

Okay. So I tried running notepad.exe and cmd.exe just now. Neither would run. They both generated the same error:

SBIE2101 Object name not found: \Sessions\2\BaseNamedObjects\ISWWH_BEACON@390@EFR-controller, error CreateEvent (C0000022) access=001F0003 initialized=1

This is the ONLY error message generated when I tried to run notepad.exe or cmd.exe in the Default sandbox. There were no other lines in the error dialog.

This is the same error I was getting when I tried running things before I uninstalled and reinstalled (except Chrome which still ran). I can't seem to get past this error message no matter what I do now. This "Object name not found" thing is driving me crazy. I have no idea what is causing it. And I have no idea of what to even try to fix it.

I googled it and saw other people have had this issue, but never found any solution... with the possible exception of this thread going on now in the other opensource project: https://github.com/sandboxie/sandboxie/issues/40. Now that I look at that again, although that is also a 2101 error, it looks like it is a different problem. It's not the same error details. Although I have seen reports of the same problem I am having in the old Sophos forums.

Here is another recent thread here about a similar error message with Firefox (but again no solution achieved). https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...i-clicked-upload-a-file-on-this-forum.427742/

The only thing I can even think of to try at this point is to go way back to an old SBIE version. But that means I can never move forward (even if it works). Hate that idea.

But what they are discussing is over my head, so I don't understand it or even understand if that is some kind of fix. I'm freaking out! I have SBIE withdrawal! I think I'm getting the shakes! :eek:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  24. Survivor

Bliv, if the current version or the one you have doesn't work, give the previous one a try, just to see if it will at least start something. Also after uninstall restart, then install new. Win 10 is work in progress, anything can break with any update.
    This is not against Davids work, but to see, if a version, you had previous running, works. As I mentioned before the RpcSs seems to have some issues, though I had it only in connections with Unity games, however they work. I am not even sure it is a SBIE issue, but could well be part of Win 10 concept, never had issues with Win 7 before.
    I suppose you run Win 10 64bit?

David,
    just had some small work on 16x16 not sure if anyone will like, but hey here we go:
    upload_2020-7-25_1-19-15.png No there is no similarity with a certain pac something. With the salami active, without inactive. And the Sandman you can also color with your options if you want.

25. Bliv

Bliv Registered Member

Thank you Survivor. Yes, I always do uninstalls and installs carefully and reboot at every step.

Just want to say upfront I don't think this issue has anything to do with David's work since there were signs of this same issue even with Sophos releases. The only reason I think it got worse now is that I was previously using updates to updates to updates and I think I had a Frankenstein installation. Somehow, with that setup, Chrome kept working even though nothing else did.

Yesterday I made the decision to take a chance, clean house, uninstall everything and start fresh. However, the result was that now even Chrome doesn't work. So I lost the gamble. I hate when that happens!

There must be a solution to this, but I don't know enough about the internals of SB to have a clue what it might be. So I think my only remaining option is to drop back versions. My gut feeling tells me that the last few versions including the first Sophos open source version won't work. So I may be tempted to go back even further if I can find my SB license info. for one of the older versions.

I read David's ideas for further development of SB and I think they are incredible. I mean WOW! Fantastic ideas. But the bottom line is that I don't really need any more features than SB already has (or even had several years ago). I'd love to have the new stuff, but right now I just need something that works! In the meantime I dread what Chrome is doing to my PC while it's not in the sandbox. I hate running it this way.

I know that the open source projects are in flux right now. Is there anywhere else to go where someone might know more about this issue?

Either way, thanks to everyone for listening. I'll report my results when I get to it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.