Sandboxie-Plus 1.9.4, 1.9.5

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, May 24, 2023.

1. APMichael

APMichael Registered Member

It would be great if the timestamp of the Sandboxie.ini did not change when the old and new data remained the same. Thanks in advance already.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

If I remove NormalFilePath=msedge.exe,|%UserProfile%\ on 1. 9.5 then red and blue boxes take ages to open on Edge again.
    With that entry in Glbal.ini they open instantly.

I have no idea why it happens for me and not for you :'(

Win 10 Pro, Edge Version 113.0.1774.57

3. DjKilla

DjKilla Registered Member

Don't know if this makes much of a difference but I added NormalFilePath=msedge.exe,|%UserProfile%\ to the sandboxie.ini by clicking 'Edit ini Section' in the box settings (last tab). I try to stay away from editing the global.ini or templates.ini. I also always do a clean install of each Sandboxie version and enter all of my settings manually. So I don't copy over any ini files from the previous version or do an upgrade. This way, I know for sure that there are no conflicts from upgrading or from a previous ini file. Everything is fresh and new.

The only other path I have in my sandboxie.ini pertaining to Edge is OpenFilePath=msedge.exe,C:\Users\<user account>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  4. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

@stapp could you please test if @DjKilla's line solves your issue as well?

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

6. DjKilla

The path you have NormalFilePath=%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge is what I was using before and it caused some issues. Try OpenFilePath=%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge and remove NormalFilePath=msedge.exe,|%UserProfile%\ Report back if that helps.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Okay I replaced
    NormalFilePath=%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge
    with
    OpenFilePath=%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge
    and removed
    NormalFilePath=msedge.exe,|%UserProfile%\

With these I could not open red or blue before 15 seconds and sometimes they wouldn't open at all.
    An interesting fact is that I couldn't open a red box and a blue box at the same time in Edge.

So I went back to
    and removed

Now Edge red and blue boxes will open in around 6 seconds, and I can open blue and red boxes at the same time. But it is not instant like it was before these little tests :)

Vivaldi opens everything instantly.

8. DjKilla

Don't know if this will help but I'm posting my setup. Maybe a setting is different in yours. These are currently my Red Box settings.

global.ini:
    NetworkEnableWFP=y
    Template=OfficeClickToRun
    Template=OfficeLicensing
    Template=WindowsLive
    Template=WindowsRasMan

sandboxie.ini:
    Enabled=y
    BlockNetworkFiles=y
    BorderColor=#0423ee,off,6
    Template=OpenBluetooth
    Template=SkipHook
    Template=FileCopy
    Template=qWave
    Template=BlockPorts
    Template=LingerPrograms
    Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
    Template=Edge_Force
    Template=Firefox_Force
    Template=Thunderbird
    ConfigLevel=10
    BoxNameTitle=n
    UseSecurityMode=y
    CopyLimitKb=81920
    UseFileDeleteV2=y
    UseRegDeleteV2=y
    RecoverFolder=D:\Sweepstakes
    RecoverFolder=D:\Jerry
    RecoverFolder=D:\Data
    ProtectHostImages=y
    NormalFilePath=firefox.exe,D:\Data
    NormalFilePath=firefox.exe,D:\Jerry
    NormalFilePath=firefox.exe,D:\Sweepstakes
    OpenFilePath=firefox.exe,C:\Users\Rockin' Jerry\AppData\Local\Mozilla
    OpenFilePath=firefox.exe,C:\ProgramData\Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38
    OpenFilePath=thunderbird.exe,C:\ProgramData\Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38
    OpenFilePath=firefox.exe,C:\Users\Rockin' Jerry\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4jer9dhz.default-release\storage
    OpenFilePath=msedge.exe,C:\Users\Rockin' Jerry\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge
    NormalFilePath=firefox.exe,C:\Users\Rockin' Jerry\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla
    ReadFilePath=firefox.exe,C:\Users\Rockin' Jerry\Desktop
    ProcessGroup=<StartRunAccess>,thunderbird.exe,RuntimeBroker.exe,plugin-container.exe,msedge.exe,identity_helper.exe,firefox.exe,dllhost.exe
    ReadKeyPath=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\
    ReadKeyPath=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\
    ProcessGroup=<InternetAccess>,thunderbird.exe,msedge.exe,firefox.exe
    AllowNetworkAccess=!<InternetAccess>,n
    ClosedIpcPath=!<StartRunAccess>,*
    ForceProcess=thunderbird.exe
    UsePrivacyMode=y
    AutoDelete=y

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

You have a lot more entries in your red box than I do :D
    I will have to have a closer look at mine.
    Probably won't be able to do anything until my morning now.

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I have tried this morning taking settings out of Global and putting them in red box settings using
    OpenFilePath=%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge
    I still get a delay and then blue box won't open properly because I have removed the NormalFilePath setting for Edge from Global.

So after many variation attempts today I am sticking with these settings in Global

NormalFilePath=%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Vivaldi

Because then all boxes, any colour, open instantly in Edge and Vivaldi.

It may not be desired but it's the only thing which works for me.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm still using an old SBIE version but I wondered if you could make it so that the Box Content ---> Browse Files window is resizable, and it should also remember its size. I don't know if this perhaps already has been changed in newer versions.

12. DjKilla

I agree. If those three paths work for you, then not a big deal. Every system is different and Sandboxie is constantly changing so maybe a future version will fix the issue you're having. By the way, I have noticed with all versions of Sandboxie that when I add/change (not all the time) a path/registry it wouldn't work unless I started with a clean slate (clean new install). It might be the way I'm doing it but I've noticed it. I need to dive in to Sandboxie more and see how to erase all of my settings for a box and start over without doing a clean reinstall. For what it's worth. that's why I always do a clean install and enter the paths/registry every time I change or add a path/registry so I know for sure the changes work. It's a pain to do it this way but it works for me. Starting over with a new install/box fixes a lot of issues.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@DjKilla
    I've done quite a few new installs and even tried a new user profile.
    Am having a rest now :D

14. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Global.ini? :confused: :D
    Since when it came to existence?
    I don't have it in my system...

15. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Okay, global settings in the sbie.ini.
    I think you will know where it is :)

16. DjKilla

Global1.jpg Global2.jpg

It's also on top when you open/edit the Sandboxie.ini file

Global3.jpg

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I just click on this...
    Screenshot 2023-05-27 181801.jpg

18. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

@stapp and @DjKilla
    I get it now, thanks. Thought you were talking about a new separated file called Global.ini (you wrote a filename and its extension). :)

19. plat

plat Registered Member

Wow, for once I got the latest release version via the UI and it d/l and installed and everything. Perfect! Thanks!

20. DjKilla

I'm still thinking about why removing the last path worked for me but not for you so I have some quick questions. Did you by any chance create a snapshot of your box? Do you have Auto Delete checked in the File Options>File Options tab? Do you have Image Protection checked in the Security Options>Image Protection tab? I happen to have all three for me so I was thinking if maybe one of these settings might be different with you. All it takes is one little thing to throw everything off so I'm brainstorming if there's a way to test and maybe fix the issue.

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@DjKilla
    No snapshots
    Auto Delete checked
    Image Protection tab not checked.

22. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

Plus v1.9.5 working fine here (via interrnal updater).

23. DjKilla

I was able to duplicate the issue. The fix is you need a snapshot before using Auto Delete.

1) Do a clean install of Sandboxie Plus 1.9.5
    2) Setup your settings if you're following the wizard to setup your global settings
    3) Double click the box to get to your box settings and switch to the orange box.
    4) Continue entering your box settings but do not include Auto Delete and do not include NormalFilePath=msedge.exe,|%UserProfile%\
    5) Click 'OK' when you're done
    6) Click 'Reload Configuration'

Setup1.jpg

7) Open each program/app one at a time so Sandboxie can automatically get the paths for each program/app.
    *** If you have recovery folders setup in Sandboxie to save downloaded files to, you have to download any file to each recovery folder you setup for Sandboxie to recognize each folder.
    8 ) After opening and closing all the programs/apps one at a time, double click the box to get to your box settings and switch to the red box
    9) Click 'OK' and repeat step 6 above (Do not open any programs/apps)
    10) Right click on the box and choose 'Snapshots Manager'

Setup2.jpg

11) Click 'Take Snapshot' and name it to whatever you want. I named mine Red Box. Click 'Default Snapshot' then click the X in the top right to close this window.

Setup3.jpg

12) Double click the box to get to the box settings and now click Auto Delete to activate/turn it on
    13) Click 'OK' then repeat step 6 above
    14) Congratulations! Your red box is setup and Edge will now open instantly without the NormalFilePath=msedge.exe,|%UserProfile%\ path. You can now start enjoying Sandboxie and whatever other programs/apps you have already added to Sandboxie.

(((NOTE))) This snapshot should work for all the different boxes you switch to but I haven't tried it since I only use the orange and red boxes. I think the red box and maybe the blue box only need a snapshot before using Auto Delete. I believe the other boxes (not red or blue) will work fine without snapshots and Auto Delete turned on.

24. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

If you go through these clear and detailed steps with v1.9.5,
    do you end up with the settings your settings in post #33?
    The reason I ask is whether these two settings in #33 would still show up:
    ReadKeyPath=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\
    ReadKeyPath=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\

25. DjKilla

These two registry settings aren't included so you would have to enter them yourself. The easiest way to do this is copy the two settings and add them to the end of the Sandboxie.ini file.

For anyone wondering what these two settings do:

This path correctly opens the correct default browser when clicking an email link in Thunderbird or other programs

This path fixes the Firefox Settings not showing Firefox as the default browser (If you chose Firefox as the default browser)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.