Sandboxie-Plus 1.9.3

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, May 8, 2023.

1. busy

busy Registered Member

@stapp If the rule is working properly, you can move it back to the global settings.

Code:
    NormalFilePath=msedge.exe,|%UserProfile%\

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks for the help busy.
    Moved it back to global settings and all boxes, any colour, open fast now.
    Strange how @DavidXanatos isn't affected.
    I suspect other users were affected but perhaps didn't want to say anything.

3. DjKilla

DjKilla Registered Member

I'm not sure what changed or why it's happening to some people and not others. Could be a 3rd party program that's causing the issue. I'll try to dig in a little deeper and test further to see if I can pinpoint the cause. As for the blue box, I think stapp is testing that. For now, I'm using what busy has recommended to stapp which fixes the slow start of Edge.

4. DjKilla

@stapp - Do you by any chance have any programs installed that might change the settings of Edge or Windows? For example, I have O&O ShutUp10 which changes Edge settings and Windows settings for better privacy which has caused some issues before.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@DjKilla
    I use no programs which change Windows settings such as O&O ShutUp etc.
    I use uBlock Origin and that's about it really.
    I have Win 10 Pro.
    I use Emsisoft as my AV.
    I have some settings turned off in Edge such as 'Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed' and the ones such as rewards etc.
    As I said, I even tried a new Windows user profile which gave the same result.

1.9.2 all boxes worked for Vivaldi and Edge.
    1.9.3 blue, red on Edge struggled.
    Now with the 'busy' global setting blue and red are fast.

I Prog files (86) I have these, do you?
    Screenshot 2023-05-11 142240.jpg

6. DjKilla

@stapp - Yea, I have those same folders. Since this started happening with 1.9.3, it must be some change that's causing this but only affects the blue and red box. Could be a change in combination with a setting in Sandboxie which is why it affects some people and not others.

7. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

seams to have had been there in 1.9.2 already so perhaps a change in edge itself?
    Can you may be try older versions to see where exactly the issue started if its with sandboxie itself?

8. busy

busy Registered Member

Sandboxie Plus 1.9.3 + MS Edge 112.0.1722.48 = OK
    Sandboxie Plus 1.9.3 + MS Edge 113.0.1774.35 = Delay

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

10. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

In my case, the edge version 113.0.1774.35 delayed to open no matter if it was sandboxed or not. No matter what I tried, it took about 15 seconds to open edge.

The latest update I got the other day of 113.0.1774.42 is back to normal. I do not have edge set to faster opening, etc. I have it tamed down as for settings, and the latest version now opens literally in about a second.

I don't know what was wrong with the previous version, but it opened at a snails pace compared to the 112 version. The latest, is back to proper performance for me, without sand boxing, with sand boxing, still quick opening.

Just wanted to mention, I had slow execution of edge the moment it was updated to 113. The latest works normal without sandboxie and with, opening times almost immediate.

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@Jim1cor13
    I can confirm that with 113.0.1774.42 Edge is back to opening instantly unsandboxed.

However red and blue boxes take about 5 to 6 seconds to open sandboxed unless I apply in global settings

NormalFilePath=msedge.exe,|%UserProfile%\

Admittedly that is a huge decrease on the 15 seconds I had using 113.0.1774.35.

Hopefully David will be able to do something about it in the next build. (although I suspect he will always be playing Edge catch up because they keep changing it)

12. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi stapp

Isn't that the truth about Edge? It is updated often, and a real challenge I suppose for any software developer. I think David does a great job considering it all!

Thank you for confirming the latest Edge is opening normal. I just use Sandboxie Classic, and Edge opens in that in about 2 seconds or so on my machine. I am not familiar with

the Plus version, though I am going to probably try it out soon as it sounds like it has some great tweaking ability, etc., from what I have been reading.

13. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

@DavidXanatos

There is a problem in 1.9.3 with pdf opening.
    When running Catsxp browser sandboxed i can not open already downloaded pdf:s, unsandboxed browser - ok. So i try to add both Run sandboxed/unsandboxed to the Context menu to open the pdf sandboxed. Only Unsandboxed option appears. Since sandboxed do not appear i tried unsandboxed anyway, went ok but, when trying to start Catsxp after that, with Sandboxies icon for default browser, Catsxp flashes up and closes, over and over and over and.... . It does not work sandboxed anymore.

This is when using Portable. An overwrite install did not help, nothing does. Going to try a full new install after uninstall and clean up.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  14. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

@DavidXanatos

Uninstalled S-boxie from folder in D: with HiBit force removal, cleaned up on C: the leftovers. When doing a fresh reinstall, S-boxie did not go through the motions as it usually does with a fresh install, some items where greyed out. Obviously some things where still left on the pc which hindered a resulting FRESH install, and, when trying to start Catsxp, i got the message - could not initiate a Catsxp DLL file... something something. So Sandboxie do not work now, at all, with the browser, even after a new installation. Very mysterious and deep rooted issue.

Tried with another browser, same thing, could not initiate DLL file... .

15. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

@DavidXanatos

Now, after having uninstalled S-boxie from D:, and restored C: with an image to a state when S-boxie worked, reinstalled S-boxie on D:, it still does not work.
    How is that even possible? No DLL file message now but Catsxp flashes like mentioned before. Do not work with S-boxie.

16. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

@DavidXanatos

Restored D:, now S-boxie and Catsxp worked 1 time when started from within the program since there where no S-boxie icon for default browser, second run, no. Third - no, etc etc. It does not work. When trying to add the icon, which succedes, doing the Maintenance > installation guide, i get the before mentioned flashes again when using the icon.

Through all this, the Run Sandboxed item in context menu, never occurs. It is absent whatever actions i do.

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@pb1 Have you tried a new Windows user profile in case your permissions etc are corrupted in some way?

I don't speak Chinese so it's a bit tricky to see any problem reports on their forum. I note there was a kernel upgrade recently? 113.0.5672.119

18. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

It has been so for a long time now, several version back for both programs. On this new pc, 3 days old, the problem also exist.

19. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Did you transfer any settings over to the new PC at all? Or did you start from scratch with everything ?

20. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

From the begining with everything! It is all brand spanking new, redone.
    So the fact that Sandboxie does not work as when installed, browsing etc, the first time 2 days ago, after restoring both C: and D:, is very peculiar. I have Catsxp and S-boxie on D: so when restoring both, and C:, there should be no problem, but there is. Strange.

21. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

@DavidXanatos

I just dowloaded a new file, 1.9.2, and installed it, it did not work either. And this after restoring C: from an image before the problem and doing the same with just the folders for Catsxp and S-boxie-Plus on D:. This should not be possible, at all.

Why is it?

But the most important is the problem with the pdf malfunctioning in Plus, that needs your attention.

22. feerf56

feerf56 Registered Member

@DavidXanatos

Firefox 113.0.2 running in Sandboxie-Plus 1.9.3 gives this error message. What is this and how can I fix it?

PID 9088: SBIE2336 Error in GUI server: [55 / C0000155]
    PID 9088: SBIE2335 Initialization failed for process firefox.exe [88 / 0]

Last edited: May 24, 2023
  23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

24. feerf56

25. feerf56

Last edited: May 24, 2023
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.