Sandboxie-Plus 1.0.22

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, May 10, 2022.

1. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Try clearing Edge cache/temp files.
    Sandboxie copies files needed to run in your Edge sbox. I've seen similar messages.
    Try running discrete sbox's.
    Check -> edge://settings/profiles and turn off all unwanted.
    I have all off.
    Curious, are you running Edge Sync?
    Check -> edge://settings/system and turn off all unwanted.
    I have all off.
    Before I update Sandboxie build. I empty my sbox's. Just me.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  2. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

No also there wasn anythign changed that could have imho broken it so it might be a change in vivaldi

3. plat

plat Registered Member

I'm currently running my alternate Windows 11 drive and Sandboxie is at v.1.0.18. Checking for updates, it tells me 1.0.20 is available *edit*, then I see 1.0.21 actually installed.

Is the latest (1.0.22) ready for the internal updater yet? How long does it take between when it's announced here and when you can get the proper link thru Sandman?

4. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

DavidXanatos wrote:
    Hopefully, internal updater will not push update before build is known good.
    png_14788.png
    png_14789.png
    Note: The update check is often behind the latest GitHub release to ensure that only tested updates are offered.

5. plat

plat Registered Member

Yes, this was the underlying concern.

OK, thanks. :)

6. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Salutations/Greetings

@bjm_
    Yes! I was running, Microsoft Edge,Sync :) but, now I have turn everything off a suggested.

My browsers are as following:
    * Brave
    * Microsoft Edge
    * Avast Secure Browser
    Each one of the browser is only for certain things/topics, ect.

I really appreciate your suggestions.

Many thanks, and always the best, also, make it a great one, that is this evening.

7. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

I get this error when opening Spotify website in Chrome, message only appears once or twice per sandboxed session
    Code:
    |Time|         |Message|                                                                                                                     

02:09:17.986   chrome.exe (4948): SBIE2203 Failed to communicate with Sandboxie Service:  connect C0000022                                   
    02:09:18.014   chrome.exe (4948): SBIE2203 Failed to communicate with Sandboxie Service:  *GUIPROXY_00000001; MsgId: 14 - chrome.exe [C0000080]
    02:09:18.059   chrome.exe (4948): SBIE2203 Failed to communicate with Sandboxie Service:  *GUIPROXY_00000001; MsgId: 14 - chrome.exe [C0000080]
    02:09:18.081   chrome.exe (4948): SBIE2203 Failed to communicate with Sandboxie Service:  *GUIPROXY_00000001; MsgId: 14 - chrome.exe [C0000080]
    02:09:18.084   chrome.exe (4948): SBIE2203 Failed to communicate with Sandboxie Service:  *GUIPROXY_00000001; MsgId: 14 - chrome.exe [C0000080]
    02:09:18.088   chrome.exe (4948): SBIE2203 Failed to communicate with Sandboxie Service:  *GUIPROXY_00000001; MsgId: 14 - chrome.exe [C0000080]

Also this issue is present https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-plus-1-0-20.445081/page-3#post-3081425 Would be nice to get a response @DavidXanatos

8. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Yes yes responses are great.... but see the amount of open github issues... plus the ARM64 port, things need time

9. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

All good, as long as it can be fixed at some point I'm OK with it.

10. plat

plat Registered Member

Firefox updated to v. 100.0.2 today but I'm not 100% sure it's directly tied to that. However, following this update, I'm having the Sandboxie border hang around after Firefox is closed. It only takes a click somewhere on the desktop to make the border go away. I've tried changing the color of the border and temporarily disabling it and this doesn't work to make it go away simultaneously with the closing of the browser.

Anyone know of any precedent and how to fix on my end? v. 1.0.22
    bandicam 2022-05-20 21-42-42-005.jpg

11. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Curious, do you have border set to Always show or Show only when in focus?
    btw ~ I'm not seeing "border floating in the sky" with my Firefox sbox.
    Firefox 100.0.2
    Plus 1.0.22
    W10 Home 21H2 (19044.1645)

12. plat

plat Registered Member

The default, I think: Only show when title is in focus. I'd tried flipping between the three settings and the border stuck around anyway.

Only this morning, upon startup, the issue was gone. I suppose it's another scenario to try a machine restart before posting the issue. So, it's not there now. :cautious:

13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Curious, when I call Windows Settings. I briefly see sand in tray icon.
    Anyone briefly see sand in tray icon when calling Windows Settings?
    Maybe, briefly seeing sand in empty tray icon is related to my Edge/sbox?
    Edit:
    When I call Windows Settings with Pause Forcing Programs enabled. I see:
    Code:
    PID 10368: SBIE1301 Program 'msedge.exe' was launched outside of the sandbox
    Edit 2:
    machine Restart -> Trace Logging enabled -> call Windows Settings -> Copy to file
    Code:
    [...]
    16:05:45.329    Unknown    6632    6852    Pipe (U)    (2)     \Device\NamedPipe\MSEdgeDefaultd72a7432h5cd2h4121h8425h0faebcbf1e60
    16:05:45.329    Unknown    1044    1144    Pipe (U)        \Device\NamedPipe\_Sandbox_bjm_Edge_Session_1\LOCAL\crashpad_6632_NXKLPQDGTTECSPUV
    16:05:45.329    Unknown    1044    1144    Pipe (D)        \Device\NamedPipe\LOCAL\crashpad_6632_NXKLPQDGTTECSPUV
    16:05:45.329    Unknown    1044    1144    Pipe (U)    (2)     \Device\NamedPipe\_Sandbox_bjm_Edge_Session_1\LOCAL\crashpad_6632_NXKLPQDGTTECSPUV
    16:05:45.329    Unknown    1044    1144    Pipe (D)        \Device\NamedPipe\LOCAL\crashpad_6632_NXKLPQDGTTECSPUV
    16:05:45.329    Unknown    1044    1144    Pipe (U)        \Device\NamedPipe\_Sandbox_bjm_Edge_Session_1\LOCAL\crashpad_6632_NXKLPQDGTTECSPUV    

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  14. plat

plat Registered Member

Do you mean, when you open the Settings app?
    Don't use Edge so I can't really say anything with regards to your observations. Firefox does not provoke this behavior you're describing.

For a (very) little comedy, I opened the CCleaner version .9727 and was intrigued by this "performance optimizer." So, I ran it and this is what it said about Sandboxie:

ccleaner sbie.PNG

It's recommending to put it to sleep. :argh: I'm looking at Task Manager now with Firefox open and this tab, and cpu is 0%. Mind you, just its startup impact in Task Manager is described as "low." I am utterly clueless how they arrived at this conclusion. :cautious:

15. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Maybe they also check I/O activity and other parameters?

16. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

png_14888.png

17. plat

plat Registered Member

Well, I don't know whether the effects of restricting network access (enabled) would have on the overall performance. I have only 6 tabs open (one with video and sound) and Firefox is using 1% cpu and almost 1 GB of memory. Nothing from Sandboxie.

I'll look around for an explanation as this is still a new feature of CC's. I want to give the benefit of the doubt but I'm doubtful. :cautious:

Edit: I inquired about this in the CCleaner forum. I think this should be modified in the CCleaner database as recommending to put a security program to "sleep" is kind of...I dunno. Let's see what they say.

https://community.ccleaner.com/topi...the-impact-of-a-given-program/#comment-337004

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  18. Quassar

Quassar Registered Member

CCleaner that bloat spyware software which has been bought long time ago by AVAST whos sold user data to other ads / marketing companies.
    Why peoples cara about which security sofrware use meanwhile install directly that kind of crapware soft... on core system.

19. plat

plat Registered Member

off-topic: well I'm aware of this since a long time and strictly speaking, I don't personally need CC for anything as Sandboxie auto-deletes and I use Windows command -lines for other system cleaning functions. Like many others here, the CC .exe are blocked (outbound) in the firewall so no ads or nags. .

I like to demo "interesting" software now and then, what can I say?

20. Quassar

Quassar Registered Member

Well since i combine virtualization with sandboxing solution no need anymore cleaning software
    Shadow defender hold my system like 1st day boot whole few years / and Sandboxie cover me in current sesion.
    If need test software i read faq and videos or use virtaul machine i dont test unknow soft on core system.

I dont have clue why CCleaner mark sandboxie as mid-heavy app for system. i never had good experience with any cleaning software mostly they delete old files but between them also delete also some important files...
    Maybe dont see difference after 1st clean but with time these kind software more genere problem than fixes.

I see they still didnt answer for your question :p

21. plat

plat Registered Member

No, they sure didn't. Oh well.

Seriously, I'm questioning painting everything performance-wise with the same brush. On a machine with low-end ("potato") hardware, OK well, a lot of software may be impacting performance to various degrees.

But for someone with a more powerful cpu and 32+GB of memory, um, how can you say the impact is high when I'm saying it's actually minimal? I've said before: it's like SBIE isn't even there on this system.

I'm not holding my breath with CC's responding. But I do hope they take a closer look at how they classify various software identified in their Performance Optimizer. They lost a little credibility with me just by "recommending" to put a security software to sleep. :doubt:

Edit: yes, I know: off-topic but I wish someone running Avast or AVG would try this Performance Optimizer. What does it say about these programs? Prob. zero. :)

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  22. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Registered Member

@DavidXanatos A heads up for when this is forced upon people in a few weeks on patch Tuesday.

Just installed KB5013889 (Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 11) followed by KB5014019 (Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Build 22000.708 ) on my machine running Windows 11 Pro. Immediately prior to installing these updates Edge + Sandboxie-Plus 1.0.22 was working beautifully, however one of these updates, and I'm not sure which one, appears to have broken Edge Chromium with Sandboxie.

Immediately after rebooting following the updates I ran a System File check, followed by the command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth as SFC found and fixed some corrupt files. On reboot from that & one more SFC (just to check no integrity violations - there wasn't), I found MS Edge under Sandboxie broken using both the default box and a second Sandbox, which I used to rule out a corrupted sandbox. Just a white window loads. There are no errors that pop up, and everything looks exactly as it should within Sandman. So then I tried disabling HW acceleration in Edge - also no joy. I then tried uninstalling Sandboxie & doing a clean installation with out-of-the-box global settings & out-of-the box Default box settings (except for enabling auto emptying of the Sandbox), and also a brand new ini. Same result - I just get a white window which stays that way until I delete the contents of the sandbox to close it. It's simply a white window with a yellow border. I tried leaving it for 15mins and no change.

Just to note, Edge itself didn't update. It's still running 101.0.1210.53 from 5 days ago. Also I see you've released a new version of SB+ - I didn't download the new version so as not to confuse things - I just re-installed 1.0.22. Chrome, Brave & FF all working OK.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  23. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

Sandboxie 1.0.22 (running in portable mode).
    I get the following error when executing "uninstall all"
    uninstall_all_error.png

However, the operation 'seems' to complete:
    uninstall_all_complete.png
    Previous versions (including 1.0.21) did not display this error.

EDIT: I noticed that previous versions do not include SbieShellExt.dll

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  24. focus

focus Registered Member

Same thing happening here. It's KB5014019 that broke Edge for me as I installed them on different days.

Edit: I was using 5.55.22, then updated to 5.56.0 and Edge is still crashing out. Firefox is fine.

Removed KB5014019 (by restore) and Edge is fine.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  25. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Registered Member

Thanks for confirming that @focus . I was fairly sure it would be KB5014019 rather than the .NET one so good to have that narrowed down. Don't know that there are many Windows 11 users here at this stage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.