Sandboxie-Plus 1.0.22

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, May 10, 2022.

1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Yes but when you hover over a thread title, link or forum avatar etc. here on forum, the url of it appears bottom left of screen and I believe that has always had the indicators?

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

However Edge does show the # indicator when looking at the Sandman window (under Title column) but Vivaldi does not.

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I don't run Vivaldi. But you can try setting vivaldi.exe as Leader program. That should do more for you than adding Vivaldi to Lingering programs.

Bo

4. bo elam

I suggest you don't try fixing anything about the # pound sign as there is nothing to fix. Regarding hovering links, I don't recall seeing the # in the bottom left of the screen when doing that.

I know you know this but for other users who might not know, if someone is not sure a program is running sandboxed, you can always look for the Red dots in the SBIE icon, or open Sandboxie control and see whats running or do a Is Window sandboxed? test.

Bo

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Edge is listed with the indicator in Sandman window but Vivaldi is not and I believe it should be.

I have always used the 'hover over' to see where something is pointing to if a full URL is not given eg.
    Screenshot 2022-05-13 065514.jpg

6. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

That change didn't do anything, unfortunately. But I was able to solve it. It turns out that Vivaldi now needs extra run permissions; in this case:

Code:
    ProcessGroup=<StartRunAccess>,vivaldi.exe,update_notifier.exe,cmd.exe,adguard.browserextensionhost.exe
    Now, I have no idea why it Vivaldi needs cmd.exe to run. But it does. Without it I still have the same non-terminating issue. I did restore "drop admin rights" and did block cmd.exe using the WFP firewall rule, so I hope that helps. That can't be safge to have running though, can it?

7. bo elam

I don't know why Vivaldi triggers cmd.exe but one thing I can tell you about this, is this. The cmd.exe you are allowing to run is the cmd.exe in your computer. So, unless you have a malicious or infected cmd.exe (already running in your computer) then you are OK. When you allow an exe to run in Restrictions, only exes that are installed in your computer will be allowed to run (Sandboxie does this for security). For example, if while navigating the internet, an exe using the name cmd.exe (an exe you allow to run in restrictions) is DL automatically, it will not run or install. So, you are OK allowing cmd.exe in Restrictions. And don't have to worry about doing it.

I don't use Chrome, Vivaldi or anything Chromium, except Edge. To avoid issues or headaches with Edge, I don't Start Run restrict or Internet restrict. I don't even use Drop rights. I hardly ever use Edge but that's how I set it up.

Bo

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  8. bo elam

I have Classic so I am not familiar with Sandman. In the picture below, you can see what I see (same as you) when I hover links with the browser (Firefox). I don't remember (my memory is bad now) seeing in the past the # in the left corner.

Sin título.jpg

Bo

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

There should be an # indicator here (red line) for Vivaldi
    Screenshot 2022-05-13 082154.jpg

10. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

iirc, the previous two iterations of Sandboxie has had issues with Vivaldi. 1.0.20 introduced a work around to resolve "a hooking issue." I've held on to 1.0.18 and will wait it out
    till the Vilvaldi dilemma is completely fixed (without the need or hassle of a work around) since Vivaldi is my default browser before I revert to the newest Sandboxie release.

11. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

@stapp
    As @Lagavulin16 mentioned, a "hooking issue" fix for vivaldi was introduced in v1.0.19(5.55.19).
    If you edit sandboxie.ini and include UseVivaldiWorkaround=n in your vivaldi box, do you see the # indicator?
    sbie_1021_n.png

12. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

13. n8chavez

That's what I was thinking too. As far as I know my cmd.exe is clean, and I have no issue running/closing Vivaldi now. It's just odd that permission is required now, when it wasn't before. Thanks Bo!

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Yes I see the #next to Wilders in Sandman Window when I edit the ini.
    I have removed the fix as I don't really think workarounds are the best way.

Another issue now is when I close all browsers (Edge and Vivaldi) and Sandbox Plus empties (no flames and delete box says all boxes are empty) the Sandman window when opened with right click on taskbar icon and selecting show/hide, still shows all processes are listed there still. (similar to @n8chavez ) I cannot get rid of them at all even though they all say terminated in the window .
    I am going to try another reboot and if I still cannot empty Sandman window even after closing all processes I will go back to a previous build.

15. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Will have to try another build, even with leader and lingering program set for Vivaldi nothing will go away. Even Edge hangs around.

Screenshot 2022-05-13 193208.jpg

16. n8chavez

Oh, that wasn't my problem. But I did solve that last night too. (It was driving me crazy) Make sure the "Keep Terminated" option in SBIE Plus' view menu is disabled. Also you can use the cleanup processes option on demand. This wasn't an issue with SBIE classic, but is wit the plus variant.

Screenshot 2022-05-13 120715.png

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@n8chavez
    I only thing that works is the 'clean up process' on demand. But that is not really how this is supposed to be is it ? :)
    I shall wait and see if @DavidXanatos has any ideas before I go back to an earlier build.

Also I find the 'keep terminated' option hard to work out (on the Gui) if it is selected or not because of the black screen colour.

18. n8chavez

That'd odd, because enabling the "keep terminated" option works for me. Although it is the opposite of what I'd expect; when the option is highlighted it's off and when the option is not highlighted it's on.

disabled.png

enabled.png

19. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

There is an update!

This build brings a few fixes as well as a few small features, most notably support for the new windows 11 explorer context menu.
    For now to get it enabled the setting needs to be manually toggled on windows 11, a later installer update will automate this for win 11.

Download: https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/tag/1.0.22

ChangeLog
    Added
    • added auto update download and silent install option to sandman.exe #917
    • trace monitor mode can now also save to file #1851
    • trace log now shows ipc object type information
    • added support for windows 11 context menus
    Fixed
    • fixed sandman crash issue #1846
    • fixed issue with windows server 2022 build 20348
    • fixed translation switching issues #1852

20. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

any plans to go version 5.56?
    my folder for 5.55 is growing really fast with your builds ^^

21. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Yes probably with the next build, just wanted to ensure that we wil have a really really very stable 1.0.x before moving to 1.1.x as this may break things since its changing one of the core virtualization mechanics

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Installing Plus build 22 over the top of 21 I still have serious issues.

While Plus works fine, Vivaldi shows no # indictor next to websites in Sandman.

But worse is the fact that although Sandman shows all boxes are empty after closing the browser, all processes are still listed and I have to use View..Clean up.. Clean up processes to empty the window. (as seen here)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-plus-1-0-22.445247/page-2#post-3082461

If you have no ideas or suggestions I will try a clean install of Plus first.
    If that doesn't work I shall try build 18 or 19

23. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

So for you the terminated processes do not get cleaned up?
    Do you have by any change the keep terminated option on? someone reported earlier that this toggle buttons are not really distinguishable in dark mode.
    In any case try only deleting the plus ini no clean install needed

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Deleting the Plus.ini and rebooting worked. Now processes get cleaned up :thumb: Thank you.

Any build in fix for the indicator # next to websites in Sandman using Vivaldi ?

25. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Salutations/Greetings,

Here is what I am getting, after updating below: Also, I am using Microsoft Edge:

Do you want to allow msedge.exe (8329) to copy a 115.38 MB large file into sandbox: Default Box?
    File name:C:\micha\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\ExtensionActivityEdge?

I click yes, and take a couple of minutes.

Thoughts/Opinions/Suggestions :)?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.