Sandboxie-Plus 1.0.10

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, Feb 6, 2022.

1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

This build fixed a lot of various issues.

Download: https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/tag/1.0.10

ChangeLog
    Added
    • added option to show only boxes in tray with runnign processes #1186
      -- additional option show only pinned bixes, in box options a bix can be set to be always shown in theay list (Pinned)
    • added options menu command to reset the GUI #1589
    • added 'Run Un-Sandboxed' context menu option
    • added new trigger "OnBoxDelete" that allows to specify a command that is run UNBOXED just before the box content gets deleted
      -- note: this can be used as a replacemetn to the DeleteCommand #591
    • sellected box operations (deletion) no longer show the progress dialog 1061
      -- instead a box with a running operation show a blinking hour glass icon, the context menu can be used to cancel the operation
    Changed
    • HideHostProcess=program.exe can now be used to hide sandboxie services #1336
    • updater blocking is now done using a template called BlockSoftwareUpdaters
    • enchanced "StartProgram=..." making "StartCommand=..." obsolete
      -- for same functionality as "StartCommand=..." use "StartProgram=%SbieHome%\Start.exe ..."
    • merged "Auto Start" General tab with the "Auto Exec" Advanced tab into a universal"Triggers" Advanced tab
    Fixed
    • fixed a couple issues with the new breakout process feature and improved security (thanks Diversenok)
    • fixed issues with re opening already open windows #1584
    • fixed issue with desktop access #1588
    • fixed issue handling commandline invokation #1133
    • fixed ui issue with main window state when switching always on top attribute #1169
    • fixed issue with box context menu in tray list 1106
    • fixed issue with "AutoExec=..."
    • fixed issues canceling box deletion operations didn't working 1061
    • fixed issue with DPI scalling and color picker dialog #803
    Removed
    • removed UseRpcMgmtSetComTimeout=AppXDeploymentClient.dll,y used for free download manager as it broke other things
      -- when using free download manager ad the line manually to your sandboxie.ini

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Win 10 with Plus 1.0.10

Installed over the top ...no problems with that.

Just wondering, you know when you close the browser (Vivaldi or Edge) the flames go out on the taskbar, and the little deleting box appears briefly on the screen ?
    Well I don't get the little box anymore with this build. Is that by design?

3. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Yes, people did not like that progress dialog flashing, and given that its not always triggered by a manual action but also automatically when a box is set to auto delete. I changed that it now shows in the list if the list is open a hour glass icon on top of the sandbox icon that is doing something.
    For now its only deletion but other sandbox operations that would bring a progress dialog could in future be changed to operate this way to

4. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Hmm, if we refer to the same thing (and I think we do): I appreciated this box. So I could see comfortably that the sandbox was emptied. Formerly I always had to watch the icon in the taskbar if the red dots disappeared (which is more cumbersome).

Hmm. That sounds complicated. Anyway, I will see how it works when installing version 1.0.10*.

As always: Thanks for all your activity, David. :thumb:
    ______

*) In the meantime I have installed it. Yes, we refer to the same box. I miss it. :(

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  5. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

@Peter 123
    hmm.... how do we fix that... how about a tray notification each time a box gets auto deleted?

6. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Auto delete issue persists still.

7. Peter 123

It's nice that you think about it but you should not have additional work only because of my preferences. ;) If more users would like to get such a notification, of course it would be fine for me too.

It is important for me to see at a glance that the (auto) deletion of a sandbox is performed and that it was successful. In this respect the situation as it is now (again) is also o.k.: In a certain way the tray notification consists in the disappearance of the red dots in the pizza (I use the classic tray symbol). Of course this control method does not work if you have opened more than one sandbox and the auto deletion takes place only in one of them (e.g. when closing browser A in sandbox A but continuing to use browser B in sandbox B --> the red dots remain). But at least for me that's not a big problem because usually I have opened only one sandbox.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

How strange, often people ask for a progress dialog so they know that something is happening. Now you say they don't want it.
    I shall miss it as it was a brief confirmation, at eye level, that the sandbox had emptied.

9. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

No problems installing Plus and Classic.

10. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

well see here: https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/issues/1061

the issue was with it often being so quick that it was pointless.

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

12. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

I'll make it configurable in the next build :D

13. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Registered Member

My two cents re the removed autodelete thingy that flashes up in SB+. :)

I also quite liked the visual cue that the box had deleted, as it was actually that missing box that alerted me to a hiccup in a build some months ago where the autodelete wasn't working as intended. With that particular build, the red dots disappeared with autodelete enabled once you'd closed the app, but there was no little box flash up, and sure enough on opening Sandman I could see that the box still had processes, and I had to manually delete it. If anyone doesn't remember that, it's probably because the bug was detected and fixed at lightening speed.

So if it's not too much trouble to add something, and it's something many people want, then I'd love to see something added - I don't mind what - that provides a little visual cue again. Actually I really like the animated red "X" you get on the tray icon of the Classic version as the box deletes itself. I'm not sure how others feel about something like that? Or if that would be hard to implement? Personally for me, a visual cue is a 'nice to have thing' rather than a 'need to have thing', so to echo others - it's your call @DavidXanatos

No problems noted so far with this new version, but have only installed it on 2 machines so far and only shortly before writing this. I'll report any issues if I find them. Thanks again for the time and work you put into this software David.

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

David as a dev you have a hard job because you cannot please everyone.
    Just do what you think is best, we are just glad to have you working on Sbie :)

15. catspyjamas

Yes, all of this. :)

16. simbun

simbun Registered Member

Regarding the autodelete popup; if you can add a delay before it closes then I'm all in, otherwise I'd just hide it as it disappears so quickly that it looks as though it's not meant to be seen.

I've briefly tried the HideHostProcess= functionality, and at least with Process Explorer it seems to work well. Is there any reason why you wouldn't have this on by default?

Finally I can't see any template called BlockSoftwareUpdaters. I'm looking under 'App Templates' is that the correct place for it? I'm assuming it's to stop browsers and the likes from trying to update?

I've only just moved across from the old Sophos version and it's so good to have it back!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  17. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

BlockSoftwareUpdaters is in the tempaltes ini in a new section called [DefaultTemplates]
    there are templates which are always enabled for all boxes, many of them are things that were in the sophos builds were hard coded.

It is not intended to disable those templates, but in some cases if a bug sneakes in its good to be able to disable them to fix an issue.

18. plat

plat Registered Member

Yes, I prefer the brief flash of the auto-delete myself. If there's ever a move to bring it back, I wouldn't object whatsoever. :thumb:

19. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

I've NEVER see this - not even noticed a flash. Possibly because I run my sandboxes in a ramdisk and it is too quick.

But making it an option still seems a good idea, as I would quite like the feature if only I could see it. Maybe an inbuilt delay of a 2 or 3 seconds? David, please ignore if unnecessary work.

20. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

the next build will have the following 2 options:
    Options/AutoBoxOpsNotify <- tray notification about auto delete, and if there are any other automated box opeations in future those to
    Options/UseAsyncBoxOps <- option to enable the 1.0.10 behavioure without the progress dialog, the default will be the 1.0.9 behavioure

upload_2022-2-7_18-43-21.png

21. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thank you.

23. Peter 123

What a service! :thumb: Thanks from my side too, David.

24. catspyjamas

Thanks David, it seems you have found a way that should please all after all! Awesome stuff. :)

25. algol1

algol1 Registered Member

My 2 cents so far: No problems detected. Excellent.
    Two remarks though: I'm also in favor of that recent auto-delete-progress-indicator flashing up briefly. So I too appreciate the planned option to have it configurable.
    The second one concerns the altered handling of "Free Download Manager" as explained by @DavidXanatos. Now I am one of those (don't know how many) enthusiastic FDM-users and once I did learn about that necessary change it has been no problem for me to add that "UseRpcMgmtSetComTimeout=AppXDeploymentClient.dll,y"-line to my Sandboxie.ini as I'm a configuration-file-type-of-a-guy. Not sure though - I did add that to the "Default-Box"-section as my browsers and sandboxed applications usually are run within that "Default-Box". Or is there a more appropriate location for that added entry into the .ini-file? The "GlobalSettings"-section perhaps?

And yet - generally speaking I'm wondering if for the average, non-power-Sbie-user - who is perhaps not all too familiar with manually editing any .ini- or configuration-files or wouldn't even know about this added necessity b/c he/she doesn't follow Sbie-forums closely - it wouldn't be a far more convenient and safer way to handle such a setting via the GUI, in particular by a dedicated FDM-entry in the "Global Settings/Compatibility"-section where Sbie usually does provide for special-configuration-needs for popular 3rd-party-software it auto-detects during installation?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.