Sandboxie Plus 1.0.0

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, Nov 17, 2021.

1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I was talking to a Classic user the other day and they said that what put him off the Plus version was that after installing it there was no icon on the desktop which automatically started his default browser sandboxed.
    It's small things like that which can persuade people to change :)

2. dodo1

dodo1 Registered Member

It was previously discussed here:

https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/issues/343

3. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

More info, please.

How should I implement it?

4. zmechys

Don't get me wrong, but...

One of the two reasons that I prefer Sandboxie Classic is this.

I've removed ANY signs of any browser from my desktop and left only the Sandboxie Icon, and informed my wife,
    "Just click on that "PIZZA" icon, and that's it."

That's the best solution to make sure that my wife is using a Sandboxed browser.

5. zmechys

Another question.

Can I do "something" in order to stop Sandboxie Plus from AUTOMATICALLY deleted its contents?
    Just to schedule the Sandboxie contents for DELETION, and leave it to me to SECURELY delete it.

6. focus

focus Registered Member

:thumb:

7. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

The problematic deletions are not done by sandboxie but by the programs running within it.
    And while I could indeed add a function to block deletion inside the box, the other issue, overwriting will remain, i.e. when you overwrite a large file with a small one you will leave dealocated sectors behind.

Look there simply is no reliable way to securely delete something on a disk that is more than a monotonly growing file of some sort, like an encrypted container or disk image.

8. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

You can do the exact same thing with plus, there is an option to cereate a sandboxed link to any program on your PC you don't need the installer to do this for you.

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

That may be so David, but you did ask if there was something still missing, so I am just passing on what some other users think and say.
    Sandboxie has traditionally been used to Sandbox the browser to protect the user when they are on line. Just finding that option in Plus may not be as clear to them as it is to you.

Some users say that they cannot understand half the things that are mentioned as being added to Sandboxie (particularly Plus), they say they are not programmers or devs... they just want to browse the internet in safety.
    I do realise you have to look at thing from a different view and are increasing safety, all that is asked by some is that you do it in a way that doesn't need a programming degree to understand it :)

10. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

Read the first part: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/06/07/how-to-use-a-ram-disk-in-windows/

Setup is real simple:
    1. Click on then plus icon to create a new RAM Disk.
    2. Assign RAM to the disk. You need to enter the amount in Megabytes, e.g. 4096 for 4 Gigabytes.
    3. Select a drive letter for the disk, e.g. drive z:
    4. Change the file system to NTFS.
    5. Add root folders, e.g. Temp and Firefox, in the Create Folders field.
    6. Switch to advanced, and add a drive label.
    7. Select OK to complete the creation.
    You could use SoftPerfect Ram disk v3.4.8 (last freeware-version)
    Change in Sandboxie the Set container folder (to like Z: like in the Ghacks-article).

11. zmechys

Thank you.

12. zmechys

Yes.

13. zmechys

David,

Is it possible to create an additional folder for Sandboxie Plus, and move all the "used/discarded" Sandboxie contents to that folder for a future deletion by a client?

Also, when I start a browser - any browser - with Sandboxie Plus, at the beginning, I get messages about "transferring large amounts of data."
    Can I hide those messages?

14. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

I do (did) it exactly the same way for myself. ;)

I now changed from Sandboxie Classic to Sandboxie Plus (still version 0.9.8d) and I miss the icon too (placed on the desktop respectively in the left part of the taskbar).

David informed us above how we could get the icon again but until now I did not find out how this works (stapp already referred to it in post #35):

---
    PS: With the Classic version it worked this way:
    - Menu "Configure" --> "Windows Shell Integration" --> under "Shortcut Icons" check the box for the option "Add desktop shortcut for starting Web browser under Sandboxie"
    (see https://sandboxie-plus.com/sandboxie/configuremenu/#shell)

But in the Plus version the "Shell integration" window (under Options --> Global Settings) has completely different contents and no longer such an option.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  15. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

png_12668.png png_12689.png png_12692.png png_12691.png

16. Peter 123

Thank you, bjm.

Just a question: ....

O.k., no question for the moment. I will have to study your picture again. It did not work for me. ;)

17. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Okay

18. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Saluations/Greetings,

* Left hand bottom corner type msedge
    * Right click on msedge run command
    * Open File Location.....
    * Right click, on msedge.exe
    * Run Sandboxed

Work perfect.......Tie A Yellow Line Around The

19. Peter 123

@bjm_ , I got it now. :thumb:

I was not aware that in your case the names of the sandboxes (as listed in the Sandboxie window) are identical with the program names.

In my case the name of the sandbox where I want to start the browser via shortcut is "DefaultBox" and the browser is Firefox.

So I did it this way, following precisely your instructions (I think):

- Open (Show) Sandboxie Plus
    - Right mouse click on the sandbox where I want to start my browser via shortcut (in my case the sandbox called "DefaultBox")
    - Box Content --> Create Shortcut

Sbnn.jpg

- When clicking on "Create Shortcut" after a short delay a small window popped up in the upper left corner (!) of the screen:

PL.jpg

- When choosing from there the option "Programme" ("Programs") I got a long list with my software and at the end of the list there are various lnk-entries (all with icons). --> From there I chose (= clicked on) Firefox.Ink and saved it on the desktop:

LL.jpg

Now I had my shortcut. :)

Finally not soooo difficult. But it would have been impossible for me to find out this procedure by myself. So, many thanks again for your helpful instructions, bjm. :thumb:

20. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Okay...and you can drill down further with All Files and Folders.
    I don't use DefaultBox as daily rider.
    I use DefaultBox for reference and testing.
    Sorry, I should of posted pics with DefaultBox.

21. Peter 123

No problem at all. I just mixed up box names and program names. ;)

22. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

23. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

Regarding the shortcut posts above, am I missing something as wouldn't using forced programs be much easier than all the messing with shortcuts?

And if you don't want to run a forced program in a sandbox, right-click on program or desktop shortcut, run Sandoxed, and choose run outside sandbox; or temporarily disable Sbie. Slight nuisance, but should be a rarity to need it. Unfortunately doesn't work from Windows Start Menu.

24. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Then I guess I misunderstood. I was under the impression that technical changes to the protection engine could easily be ported to both Sandboxie Plus and Classic. And then of course I'm talking about technical changes that aren't related to new features related to the Plus version. I would like to switch to SBIE Plus, but you already know what my problem is, I can't stand the ugly and unprofessional looking focus rectangle.

25. Peter 123

Yes, these would indeed be alternatives (e.g. I use my second browser - Chrome - in form of a forced program). But according to my needs and my habits (from Sandboxie's Classic version) the shortcut solution is the most comfortable one for daily work. So I am happy that it can be realized with the Plus version too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.