Sandboxie & Online Armor's "Web Shield"

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Blues7, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I've seen info on this topic in years past but can't find anything recent in connection with the latest version of the software.
    (And yes, I've posted the questions on the two related forums earlier today.)

Do any of you know whether OA's "Web Shield" is functional when the browser (Firefox) accesses the web under the supervision of Sandboxie?

If not, it seems that this particular module can be deactivated especially since I don't use OA's "domains white list" in any case.

I'm also trying to determine if the Web Shield does a DNS check on "protected" domains in the "free version".

Thanks, guys, for any info you can provide.

2. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Anyone?

Don't seem to be having any luck on the Sandboxie or OA sites either. o_O

3. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

4. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

5. 1chaoticadult

If I get a chance I will test these two in my VM and let you know the outcome. What browser do you use btw?

6. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Here's what I found out for myself thus far...

I downloaded the beta and installed over the top.

I (per recommendation on the OA forum) set a website to "block" in the domains list.

I was able to access it when connecting with Firefox via Sandboxie.

It was blocked when connecting with Firefox outside of the sandbox.

So, for now, I've disabled "Web Shield" as all my browsing is via Sandboxie and it seems a waste of resources and a potential source of conflict.

(And many thanks for your willingness to lend a hand. I really appreciate it. :thumb: )

7. 1chaoticadult

No problem. I will still test and see what results I get on a clean install in VM. I like testing software anyways and this will finally get me to configure my test VM environment, I've been too lazy to setup it :D

8. 1chaoticadult

I got the same results :( Definitely not good..

9. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Well, I don't know if it's "not good" or not, as OA (as we both know) wasn't designed for Sandboxie and vice versa...but it's good to know what the limitations are and thus plan accordingly.

I feel that I'm still well protected by the other OA modules (firewall, program guard (HIPS) & anti-keylogger) and I compensate for the lack of OA's web shield (with Sandboxie) via the use of DNS server, MBAM Pro, hosts lists and browser add-ons such as NoScript and Adblock Plus.

I guess my biggest problem was that I couldn't find a definitive answer previously but it seems that we can probably put that to bed now.

Maybe the developers will take it into consideration if they feel it worthwhile.

10. 1chaoticadult

Well its not good in the fact that module is useless in this particularly setup and would be wasting resources of a pc to have it enabled. As you said if know what the limitations are and you can plan accordingly, then it is definitely not a big issue. Its better to test and know the limitations rather than be using a module that is not useful to you and wasting pc's resources.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  11. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Agreed...that's why I have disabled it for now.

I truly appreciate your input and your effort. :thumb:

12. 1chaoticadult

No problem. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.