Sandboxie & OA RunSafer!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ams963, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

If I use Limited Use Account(LUA) I can use sandboxie to sandbox programs right?

Online Armour's RunSafer in effect runs a program in LUA while I am in Admin Account.

So I was wondering if RunsSafer could be used on top of Sbie. Is that possible? How do I do that?

Best Wishes,
    ams963

2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Don't :D.
    First: You are on a Standard User Account. The application will run without admin rights unless you allow it to elevate.
    Second: Sandboxie have drop rights feature, which is similar to RunSafer.

My suggestion to you is use RunSafer for applications that you are not going to run sandboxed.

3. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

In the past, Tzuk had reported on the Sandboxie forum that he was unaware of any reasons (or conflicts) not to have OA's "run safer" and Sandboxie's "drop rights" invoked on the same programs.

I haven't seen any recent comments by him where he rescinded that advice though I agree that as a general rule there is no need for such redundancy.

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

As I've mentioned in my original post, a program can be run sandboxed in a limited user account to increase security. So why not run a sanboxed program with RunSafer? It effectively serves the same purpose, right?

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

How do I run a sandboxed program in RunSafer?

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have to run in an admin account. I have all my browsers and Outlook set to run safer in OA, and I run them in Sandboxie. No problems at all.

Pete

7. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

Tried that anyway when i first start Sandboxie it will detect OA security suite
    so it won't conflict with it as it said

when i Run A program Sandboxed it Got a Green Boarder color from OA
    and i found it also Running i Sandboxie Sandbox

so o_O

8. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I asked at the Emsisoft forums, RunSafer will not do anything in a Limited User Account, it only works under an Administrator Account.
    EDIT: Oh you are talking in also running in an Admin account. :D. I need to learn to read the whole post. lol

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

LOL. ;)

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I am unable to run sandboxed browser under RunSafer. A small window of Sandboxie appears as below:

Attached Files:

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Run sandboxie with Online Armor and forget about RunSafer. Sandboxie will be more then enough protection. No need to make things difficult.

12. kupo

kupo Registered Member

According to Peter you can do it. Did you use the force function or run it manually in Sandboxie?

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

What do you mean? Can you kindly elaborate?

14. kupo

kupo Registered Member

You used the Force programs feature in Sandboxie. If you set Firefox with that option, it will always start sandboxed.
    Or through shortcuts (method I'm using since I am using the free version) through the option "Windows Shell Integration" or right click run sandboxed/

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I did not set Firefox in the forced programs option. I just click on the Defaultbox browser shortcut on my desktop. I tried to use RunSafer on this shortcut from right-click context menu. And that window appeared.

So what am I doing wrong? How to run sandboxed program like browser in RunSafer?

16. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Try to do this. Open Online Armor, go to Programs tab, uncheck Hide Trusted, go to firefox.exe and click RunSafer. This means that it will always "RunSafer" :D. Now try to run it sandboxed.

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay. I did that. But now although firefox.exe is showing under RunSafer in 'Programs' in OA, firefox shows yellow border when opened. So is Firefox still running under RunSafer? It shows yellow border indicating it's under sbie.

18. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

^Or try; in OA, in Programs tab, select FF.exe, right click 'Advanced options', mark 'RunSafer', restart OA and disable yellow border in SBIE, does that show the green OA border?
    Perhaps also set FF updater.exe/maintenanceservice.exe/xull.dll as 'RunSafer'?

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah! Yes it works. But now that I'm running OA RunSafer and SBIE together, is it the same as running a program like my brwoser(Firefox) in a Limited User Account(LUA) and sandboxing it with sbie?

20. kupo

kupo Registered Member

ams963, see here -http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/8140-colored-border/
    :D

21. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I don't get why you would want to use runsafer when you can just use dropmyrights in Sandboxie? Any particular reason why you want to use runsafer? Just curious my friend.

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

RunSafer runs any program in LUA like environment and we can run any program sandoxed with dropmyrights using sbie in a LUA. So I was thinking since I use a admin account and I have OA why not use all of them like running in a LUA. I am still not sure if it actually increases the security to extent.

23. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Well if you want to use both, I suggest using dropmyrights in SBIE for the apps you created a sandbox for. For apps you don't want to sandbox force them to use runsafer.

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

"Our developers just reminded me that RunSafer just executes an application with restricted rights. When running as a "Standard User" your applications are already running with restricted rights, so RunSafer doesn't actually do anything when running applications under a "Standard User" account, which is why no border is displayed around the window of a program that is set to execute in RunSafer mode."

Holy smoke! So does dropmyrights make a program running under sbie run as a LUA program with restricted rights?

If so then this search this topic this thirst for answer.....are all in vain.

But my quest still lives. If I run my browser in OA and sandboxed, will it benefit me in security as like a double sandbox double layer protection?

25. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay. I'll think about that. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.