Sandboxie and Appguard

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by caspian, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I am trying Appguard. Sandboxie and appguard are not playing well together. When I click on the Sandboxie icon on my desktop, it tells me Firefox is already running, which it's not. But if I lower the appguard settings to "install", the Sandboxie default icon will open my browser.

The reason that I am posting this here is because I have read that some people are using Shadow Defender, and Sandboxie with Appguard. Has anyone else had any problems using Sandboxie with Appguard? And if so, is there a solution?

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The problem you are reporting will be fixed by applying Step 1 of the following post by RADEON0101: -

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2101597&postcount=1455

If you are on Windows XP, that should be all that is needed. If you are on Windows 7 64-bit, you may also need to apply Step 2 but instead of adding the executables as MemoryGuard exceptions, as suggested in the post, make them Power Applications instead.

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

For me the easiest solution was to move the container of Sandboxie to a different partition and/or disk.

Nothing more or less.

BTW, I am on Windows 7 64-bit

Best regards,

5. caspian

Thanks guys so much for the help. I will read through everything and see if I can figure it out.

6. caspian

It says:
    You're talking to a real dummy here but this is what I did. I went to Customize, Guarded Apps, Settings and clicked on Add and browsed to Program Files. I was able to find C:\Program Files\Sandboxie, and various items inside the folder, but I cannot find C:\sandbox So I didn't follow through.

I am running Vista 64 bit. Do I add the entire folder in Program Files "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie" or does it have to be "C:\sandbox"?

If this is a really dumb question, I apologize. I just don't know a lot. But I do appreciate the help.

My laptop is Vista 32 bit. I haven't tried Appguard there yet but I assume that it will be okay there. Thanks.

7. caspian

What is the "container"? Is that the folder in Program Files?

8. pegr

pegr Registered Member

No, it's nothing to do with the folders in Program Files: It's the container folder where Sandboxie redirects files in order to implement the virtualization. You can determine the location of Sandboxie's container folder by opening the Sandboxie Control GUI and selecting Sandbox->Set Container Folder from the menu. By default the top level container folder is C:\Sandbox (i.e. located within the root directory of the C drive) and there is a sub-folder for each user profile.

What you have to do is to ensure that the Sandboxie container folder has read/write permissions for AppGuard's guarded applications. This can be done in one of two ways: Either follow Step 1 in the link I gave you; or do what aladdin said and use the Sandboxie Control GUI to move the container folder to another partition where AppGuard will automatically allow read/write access.

An issue between Sandboxie and AppGuard when using Sandboxie's Forced Programs feature on 64-bit systems was reported in the Sandboxie forum. If you use Sandboxie's Forced Programs feature and also have this problem, the solution is to add the Sandboxie executables mentioned in Step 2 in the link I gave you as Power Applications. Power Applications wasn't available in the consumer version of AppGuard when this problem was first reported but was subsequently added.

You shouldn't automatically add executables as Power Applications though unless you have evidence that AppGuard is blocking something that can't be fixed using any of the other AppGuard customizations. Power Applications are always launched unguarded and can potentially be exploited by guarded applications as a way into your system. Only your most trusted executables like Sandboxie's should ever be added as Power Applications, and only then when necessary to fix a problem.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  9. aladdin

Hi Caspian,

When you open Sandboxie, you have five tabs on the top. The third tab is called, "Sandbox". In this tab, there is a command called, "Set Container Folder". Open this and set it to any drive beside "C", which is the default.

That's all you need to do, nothing more. No messing with Appguard.

Pegr is the one who taught me this, and I am surprised that he has already forgotten this.

Best regards,

10. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Why the attitude? I hadn't forgotten this but I didn't have much time available when I wrote my original reply and merely quoted some existing guidelines written by someone else which would definitely solve the problem. From the problem description, it's clear that the sandbox container folder is in its default location. The guidelines also mention the Forced Programs issue on 64-bit systems so I thought that it would be useful to quote that anyway, in case Caspian also encounters that issue once the problem of read/write permissions on the sandbox container folder has been resolved.

You are also assuming that Caspian has an additional partition. Not everyone does so your suggestion may not work. Personally, I can't see that customizing AppGuard to give the container folder read/write access is any more difficult than customizing Sandboxie to move it to another partition. If Caspian does encounter the Sandboxie Forced Programs issue at any time, it will be necessary to customize AppGuard anyway to resolve it.

In my second reply in post #8 above, I did expand on my original reply and mention both options for resolving the container folder issue.

Kind regards

11. aladdin

No attitude. Just jogging your old, old memory. Just kidding!

Basically, off hand way giving you the credit for the good deed.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  12. pegr

pegr Registered Member

You too! :)

Kind regards

13. pegr

pegr Registered Member

caspian, if it helps I wrote some notes for new users explaining how AppGuard works. It isn't comprehensive but it might help to get you started. Your Sandboxie container folder issue and how to resolve it is mentioned in paragraph 2.8.

Re: AppGuard - New Getting Started Tutorial wanted

Kind regards

14. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Thanks for the tutorial pegr. I'm sure there are a lot of folks that appreciate the effort. Once I start running appguard I'll be one of them.

15. caspian

Thanks so much for the help, pegr and alladin. I truly appreciate it. I have another issue right now but I will post more when I have a chance to give this a try. I appreciate you. Caspian

16. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words, kjdemuth. If just one person finds it useful, it will have been worth the time spent writing it. :)

Kind regards

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Pegr

I've these two programs playing great, but your tutorial was excellent. Just had to tell you.

Pete

18. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Thanks Pete. Glad you liked it. :)

Kind regards

19. caspian

Okay. I took the easy road and went to Sandboxie Control, The Sandbox tab, and I set the container folder to Drive D. That is my Factory Image drive. I hope this is okay. So maybe I will not have make the other changes, I hope. It makes me a little nervous. But I am copying the instructions to a text file and saving them.

Thank you so much Pegr and Alladin. I truly appreciate you. Caspian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.