Sandboxie alternatives

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by kareldjag, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

hi
    Tks for the on topic feedback.
    When a technology is acquired by a similar one, these technologies become one on one solution.
    And this is only a personal opinion. Rendez vous in a few years...
    For those familiar with Linux and BSD world, sandboxing by restriction is known as jail, and there is already a kind of Windows version with WinJail
    http://www.winquota.com/wj/
    Then in fact, there is no need extra software to build a contained environment, all can be done with Windows hardening.
    I have done it sometimes, putting the system similar to read-only, but this makes the OS quite unusable, as no logs are possible, no bookmarks, no install, no write to the registry...
    That's why i've never used Sandboxie for security, as i always want to be the master of my machine.
    In this case, sanboxed browsers appears interesting, as they only encapsulate the browser.
    Suryl Vision makes a complex technology simple to use, even if this recent product needs time to become mature.
    As suggested by Kees, the technology of Security will be an exciting challenge!
    Isolation by software tends to be common, and isolation via hardware is the future
    http://www.inzerosystems.com/technology/overview/
    @J_L all these solutions are free of charge, except for Eugenuine Security Center, Suryl, Hopedot and Opswat virtual environments.
    So they can be added to Guizmo list :)
    Finally my post is not so pessimistic, as it is a positive ansswer for the disappointment of its parent thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=357312

Rgds

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi kareldjag, you can, you can save bookmarks, install programs and write to the registry while using Sandboxie if you want. You as a user, have the option to make the sandbox as restricted or loose as you desire, that's part of the beauty about SBIE. And you can have your logs (they are done outside the sandbox).

Bo

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Thanks for filtering them out for me. SurfCanister seems to work when I tried it myself in a virtual machine. Only thing is, what happens after one year?

4. guest

guest Guest

Did I say GesWall is useless or worthless previously? Let me try to remember it... Nope. GentleSecurity doesn't care about GW anymore, that's why I said it's already gone. No matter how many people are still using it, doesn't change the fact that GW is an abandonware.

5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Having a list of alternatives is nice but Sandboxie is still alive. Just under a different owner.

6. bo elam

Thats the spirit Safeguy:cool:.

Bo

7. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Doesnt change the fact it still works.

8. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I remember GreenBorder was a potential sandbox application until Google bought them out a few years ago. I read that some key players from that company helped with Google Chrome, but what technologies have been used since the acquisition ?

Hopefully, Sandboxie will become better and better and more people will use the technology. Sometimes it is best to have more than one person running a business or developing software like Sandboxie. Hopefully, the new company won't forget the faithful users and will continue to deliver a good free or reasonable priced security software for our peace of mind. :cool:

9. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

:thumb: Yes, I hope for the same.

10. guest

guest Guest

It still works, and it's abandoned by the developer. Are you happy now?

11. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Geswall thought quite good at the times has been abandoned for years.

yeah, it might still work and as much as i liked it back then, i would not use it today for that reason.

12. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I never really warmed up to sandboxie but Im sad to see it go. Im sure there will sooner or later be a strong alternative. AppGuard seems to me like a good alternative, perhaps combined with LV for the browser.

13. guest

guest Guest

Sandboxie is not gone yet. Quit talking about its funeral, people! Sandboxie is still breathing for Tzuk's sake!

14. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I needed a good chuckle this morning. :D

15. bo elam

The thing about Sandboxie is that it is one of a kind, there's nothing like it. You can warm up to Sandboxie by trying the free version, its available, and if you like it, after a few months you can buy a license. That hasn't changed. As far as I am concerned, Sandboxie is alive and well. In my personal opinion, the tell tale sign that Sandboxie as we know it is no more is if this page is changed or if it disappears.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?RegisterSandboxie

Bo

16. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Currently using the freeware of SBIE here.

It'll be nice if someone tested / reviewed some of the suggestions (e.g. Browser in the Box, SurfCanister, Eugenuine Mirage, InmunOS, etc). Got a 504 error on secubrowser earlier....I tried BZ sometime 2010 and I wasn't able to make it work with Comodo firewall..I had freezing issues. Was not able to do a custom install as I wanted to use Comodo firewall and not BZ's. It did worked out with AvastFree but the "no-help scenario I got from the BZ forums was disturbing so I abandoned it.

How about the likes of Online Armor's RunSafer, Comodo Sandbox...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.