Sandboxie Alernative

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by dlimanov, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlimanov

dlimanov Registered Member

Does anyone know a Sandboxie alternative? Need something enterprise-level that can be centrally-controlled.
    Tested BeyondControl but it was too complicated for the purpose. Really need to have an ability to sandbox browsers, email client(s), Adobe reader, etc. Something nice, lightweight, easy for user and admin to use and not necessarily free.
    Any pointers?

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

www.appranger.com

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap;)

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

AppGuard does apply policy limitations, also easy to use in a corporate environment

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hey i forgot about appguard too:thumb: thanks for refreshing my mind kees:)

7. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

GeSWall :rolleyes: - finally a sandbox that I can actually live with after getting more general understanding of sandboxes. :D

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool:thumb: did you check the youtube video test review:D

9. raven211

Yes, I checked it out on their official homepage, the review from Matt Rizos - I thought that it would give me a better idea, and it did start my guesses on how to easily access options, that's, directly through the "G"-button. That's something he didn't mention or show, but I made that guess and was right when I tested it personally. ;)

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool:thumb: same with DW and SB but without the symbols:D

11. raven211

Somewhere I could send feedback directly to them, or is a dev. active on these forums? I'm thinking about the option, when an application is already untrusted (all the time), that the context-menu when you right-click should not be "Run Isolated" anymore, but "Run without Isolation". This would save me A LOT of hassle, since I now can't save my bookmarks of Opera unless I go into the console, go through the rules, go into the properties of Opera, and THEN I can once again run it as non-isolated after changing the rules from Always Isolate to the appropriate - temporarily. This is a very troublesome process - since now I've to do this EVERYTIME - that could be easily solved through more flexibility in the software's options.

12. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Raven, I miss something: why don't you save Opera bookmarks running it " normally ", i.e. Isolated, and then right click on the saved bookmarks, and " Label as trusted " ?

13. raven211

Will that result in what I saved initially, e.g. a bookmark file with new entries in it, to indeed be saved with everything "working"?

EDIT: I'm unsure since when I save the file, it indeed doesn't get a "G"-mark or anything like that - all I get is a notification like shown in the attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  14. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I also like GeSWall but was never happy with the Front-end of the program. I seem to flip flop with SBIE and GeSWall.

Ice

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have no problems saving bookmraks in Opera. Do you have a default install of Opera? It,s not a portable version I hope.

BTW the feature u wish is on the to-do list of GesWall.

16. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Would "ZoneAlarm ForceField" be considered to be a Sandbox? I have never used it before. I am only familiar with the name.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

for the browser only:)

18. raven211

How does it compare? Is it really full isolation and does it support all browsers or just IE and FF? (I guess it only supports those...) From what I recall, they're using a method similar to what Prevx are planning or so - simply blocking things like unauthorized screenshots, keylogging, etc. (?) but leaving other things untouched in order to be more seamless.

19. raven211

I'm using the regular version - desktop or whatever to call it. :D Just confused by the pop-up... so, does that "redirect"-message mean that the file is redirected and indeed saved without restrictions to the location I chose?

EDIT: And now I've learnt about the quick process of adding rules. :D I've now added Allow-exceptions for the files where I save my bookmarks. :D

EDIT2: I'm getting the very same notification - what's going on? :(

EDIT3: ... and just to note - I did check if the files had been modified, any of the two that I use, and they were not. :doubt:

EDIT4: Okay, so I finally managed to get the files saved (at last! :D) - I was confused at first that I couldn't just select a directory, but only files for example, then I started my "computer-brain" and made it the directory instead since I saw the same thing being used for the pre-defined rules. :D Still wondering why the exceptions are labeled untrusted (they're isolated) anyway - is it just to keep me safe no matter what? :D What happens if I try to use the isolated files, importing or exporting - whatever :D - keeping that "isolated status"? Does it work normally or not?

Thanks for the information BTW. :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i beleve it is for IE only and yes it sucks why?it slow down my systems here with xp or vista i personally tested this app but all pcs are diferent but here it slow me down alot even if running alone :)

21. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I had the same experience with the same OS's. Forcefield if I remember correctly adds a spyware/virus detector? To protect against drive by downloads, keyloggers etc. The problem with it was the slow down. SBIE and GeSWall have no slow downs that I can see.

Remember SafeSpace? That product had promise. I get the itch now and then to install it.

Ice

22. raven211

Definitely not my bag when I tested it, but probably any proper sandbox application gets the job done - only thing that matters is that it should suit the particular user.

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Both are good programs. My lucky day will come when Geswall works with 64 bit.:)

24. raven211

Hehe... another reason I'll stay with 32-bit WinXP. :D

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.