Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I dont think malware can move from one sandbox to another but programs running in one sandbox can read what you doing in another sandbox. Thats why its advised to terminate all programs in all sandboxes before doing anything sensitive. And only run programs in one sandbox when doing it.

From the link below, I quote:

"Note that if you don't like to regularly delete your sandbox, you can set aside one sandbox for trusted browsing, and delete just that sandbox before carrying out the trusted activity. But it is still important to first stop all sandboxed activity in all sandboxes, for maximum protection."
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DetectingKeyLoggers#defend

Bo

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

'Normal' works for me. Thanks!

3. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

Suddenly I find that my Sandbox contents are not deleted properly in 5.06.
    In Settings Delete Invocation I have checked "Automatically delete contents of Sandbox".
    When I close Firefox I get an error: delete command failed.

But when I uncheck the above setting, the Sandbox is cleared but it should not be.
    What gives?

Update: This was caused by cmd.exe not working due to an earlier crash of Excel (grrr).
    I had to reboot and manually clear the Sandbox using File Explorer.
    All seems well now.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  4. bo elam

When you uncheck the setting that deletes the sandbox automatically on closing of the sandboxed program, the sandbox doesn't delete (thats why you don't see the red X) but programs still terminate, thats why you see the red dots in the SBIE icon disappear.

Bo

5. pling_man

Thanks Bo. That explains it.

6. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Bo, do you perhaps know, if Edge and Metro apps compatibility problems are fully solved in Windows 10 (because Curt and all other Sandboxie and Invincea experts in Invincea have always warning users not to sandbox Edge and Metro Apps, since they are fully incompatible).
    Thanks in advance.

7. pling_man

I am pretty sure that Edge and other Universal (metro) Apps are not supported in Sandboxie 5 at this time. They won't work in Windows 10 (or Windows 8/8.1).
    But wait and see if Bo can confirm.

8. bo elam

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Good news, with this version I don't seem to have any stability problems with Firefox and other apps. But I still get errors with Vivaldi, hopefully Invincea can solve this.

10. bo elam

Hi Rasheed, a few minutes ago I tested installing Vivaldi in a sandbox. All was well. I know your system is not W7 like mine and you probably have Vivaldi installed in your PC and you run it sandboxed, so how I tested it is not exactly how you use the browser but Vivaldi ran fine and without errors. What kind of errors are you getting?

Bo

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I sometimes get errors from SBIE itself, when for example installing extensions. But overall it seems to work alright, with SBIE v4 I kept getting errors all the time. I'm sure Invincea will fix this. Opera 33 also seems to be working smoothly for the first time.

12. bo elam

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/cybergenic-shade-sandbox-tool.380371/page-3#post-2537902
    guest, I believe, if we could compare the chances of malware breaking out of a highly restricted sandbox and a default settings sandbox, we would find that the default settings sandbox stands almost the same as the restricted one. Believing that the default settings sandbox is weak is wrong. If malware gets to run in a default settings sandbox, does it get out? That really is the important question.

I also believe there is a good reason for the default settings sandbox to be what comes with Sandboxie as it gets installed. Why? I think Tzuk created the default settings sandbox to make it easier for new SBIE users to feel comfortable using Sandboxie even from the first day it gets installed. Its got a good balance between security and convenience and nothing gets out unless the user allows it.

And then, as time goes on and we learn Sandboxie, we can begin using separate sandboxes for different programs and depending on the program, we can tailor the sandbox settings according to the dedicated program. But as a Sandboxie user, I appreciate the default settings sandbox, not only makes things easier for new users but also allow us to tnstall programs for testing. If all sandboxes were restricted, we would not be able to test programs in a sandbox. I don't see anything negative about the default settings sandbox as some people or videos makes it seem like. There are perfect reasons for its existence.

Bo

13. guest

guest Guest

Indeed your point is very understandable, i dont deny it.

Even me i started SBIE with the default one, but you know me since long time and you know im a heavy tweaker, i cant imagine using any softs with default settings ;)

The ever-mentioned topic about keyloggers, Sbie with some tweaks can block data leaks, we all know it, but do a beginner will know about it?

From my observations on MT, many new sbie users take for granted that sbie blocks data leaks by default.

14. bo elam

I restrict sandboxes as much as I can but without losing usability. Whenever I run programs sandboxed, they feel as if I was not using Sandboxie. Thats the balance that I try to achieve every time I create a sandbox. And I can do that because sandboxes can be set as lightly restricted as a default settings sandbox or as strong as a highly restricted sandbox or somewhere in the middle. The fact that we can do this should not be seen as a weakness but as something positive because we are allowed to do whatever we want to do with SBIE. We can even open small holes or big holes in SBIE if we want to.
    Can you imagine what would happen if by default, Sandboxie blocked sandboxed programs from having access to (for example) My Documents or your Downloads folders. That would be messy, the new user would not be able to download or upload files from those folders and after a few hours, he would uninstall Sandboxie. Thats why by default, Sanfbnoxie can not do that. Or, if you create your own folders where you save sensitive files or downloads, Sandboxie can not guess which folders they are and whether you want to block them or not.

Bo

15. guest

guest Guest

They should create a default antilogger sandbox :p (shouldn't be hard)

16. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Okay, since un-tick direct access to Firefox cookies. Sandboxie Forum is the only site (of my few non-sensitive) that won't log me in by persistent login cookie. I've refreshed/saved forums.sandboxie.com cookie. But, I still have to open my password manager for Sandboxie Forum. No biggy.
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  17. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Hi @guest . Could you post your settings for such a sandbox please? A pretty pretty tight one :cool:

18. bo elam

Bjm, this is one of the fixes in version 5.06: Added logins.json for Firefox and derivatives to templates.ini to enable Firefox passwords storage outside the sandbox.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?VersionChanges#v_5.06

If you are not allowing direct access to logins.json, you can enable the setting Via Sandbox settings>Applications>Web browsers>Firefox, Tick Allow direct access to Firefox passwords.

Bo

19. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I'm using KeePass. If direct access to Firefox passwords was causal. Then my other non-sensitive sites e.g., Wilders would not keep me logged in.
    I use Firefox master password for password protect KeePass communicate with plugin. My version of 2FA.
    And FF master password appears not to be dependent on direct access.
    I do have direct access for KeePass.
    Maybe, I'll go back to direct access cookies and monitor. No biggy. Thanks
    Update: Sandboxie Forum does not hold login even with direct access cookies.sqlite.
    So, we'll just have to crank up KeePass.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  20. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Q: What's Direct Access to Windows Font Cache + for and do I need it...?

21. bo elam

Hi bjm, that setting was added to Sandbox settings in Version 4.16 (Look at the end of fixes for 4.16).
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?VersionChanges#v_4_16

The setting was created to fix font cache problems that some users were experiencing a few months ago. If you don't experience font problems, you don't need to enable the setting. Myself, I don't use the setting in any sandbox in my computers (XP/W7).

In old sandboxes you created before 4.16 came out, the setting wont show as ticked, unless you ticked it yourself. In new sandboxes created after 4.16 was released, the setting is ticked by default. But you can tick it off if you don't need to fix anything.:)

Bo

22. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Tick'd Off :D

23. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Curious, what bring User Files > Personal > AppData into my browser sandbox.
    Does Internet Access and/or Start Run bring User Files or ?
    Thanks

24. bo elam

For Firefox, firefox.exe is the one that access, reads and copies into the sandbox files in AppData that it requires to work properly.

Bo

25. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Installed Firefox42 x64

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.