Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Updated Windows, Chrome and SBIE (latest beta) and there are no problems any more. :thumb:

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

@bo #2025
    well bo - since microsoft had some mismatch with their updates (eg forcing loading windows 10) or their stupid GWX patches/updates i watch also which updates is ok or not - there are several if some1 is interessed in the list for each windows.

nevertheless a kernal patch is more important than one brick in the (fire-)wall, thats what i'm trying to tell. if one program here is missing my security is not lowered - in contrast - with the registered version it points me out that some misbehavior on my system is present (i have some forced folders of different kind where any program is not allowed to run)
    the other 999 programs running under windows can be exploited also gain access to the vulnerable kernel.

concerning flash and PM - this option is available since Firefox 3X (i think v38 ). but i have no issues now or ever if PM is active, windows 7/8/10 are performing fine with firefox and active PM in sandboxie. that i told you earlier that the culprit seems to be elsewhere in your configuration or 3rd-party software.

anyway thee is NO difference between PM and Firefox option. Firefox starts the flash plugin also with reduced rights. but i have no experience if flash crashes firefox also crashes. upcoming with firefox e10s this problem is wiped.

HTH

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Brummelchen, I don't keep Flash as an installed program in my W7 so I don't have to disable PM for nothing. When I require Flash in the W7, I install it sandboxed and delete the sandbox when I finish. But it is clear that sometimes for some Sandboxie users when they have issues between Flash, SBIE and Firefox, disabling PM is a workaround that actually works. That has been the case time after time.

About the Windows update. Waiting to install this particular update for a day or two doesnt make any difference and like I said before, in my view, its safer to treat all Windows updates that way. Thats what do and it works for me. Thats why I never have problems with any important Windows update including the ones that people complain about in the Bork thread. In the end, I install all important updates.

But anyway, the Sandboxie version with the fix is available. It took a couple of days but is here and now Sandboxie is working fine in computers that have the KB that broke SBIE. :)

Bo

4. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I think there might be still some problems with latest Chrome and Flash with the latest beta 5.05.2, On my PC it stops working at some point using the defaultbox settings. It does not crash the browser, the pages that use flash just stop responding. I have applied the latest windows updates.

It might be just me because I also use EMET, but the main browser process I have not forced to be EMETed in SBIE.

Could be also some hackings on my PC :(

5. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Whar are you saying that those mentioned security solutions, antimalwares Zeman, Bitdefender and etc... were not able to protect you against malware and that they are useless, but Sandboxie did or something else you wanted to point out?

6. CoolWebSearch

So what's the point here: Next week I'm in huge dillemma-should I install Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 and than upgrade?
    So what is more secure Windows 8.1 or Windows 10? What about compatibility issue with antivirus, antimalware, AppGuard, Sandboxie, Shadow Defender, NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro, Hitman Pro.Alert, Avira, Avast, Emsisoft and etc...?
    What should I do, wait and install Windows 8.1 or instantly install Windows 10 and than wait several years until everything get fully fixed regarding compatibility issues and all other problems that are always omnipresent with newest Windows?

7. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

8. CoolWebSearch

Cool, thanks for explanation and confirmation.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Coolwebsearch

I can tell you that I am staying on Win 7x64, and am pretty much on the verge with dropping most of the windows updates. Does that help answer your question. Oh and yes I have been playing with Windows 10, and so far my reaction is a big so what

10. CoolWebSearch

Personally speaking the only reason why I will put Windows 10 is because I don't want to be in situation where I need to buy a new computer with new system when every bit of protection does not support it anymore (the same situation I have with current Windows XP).

11. Peter2150

well from testing, everything I am running on Win 7 in terms of security runs on win 10, so that isn't the issue for me. It's the xxxx update mess

12. CoolWebSearch

Sorry, for asking you this but I didn't quite understand what did you mean by this?
    "...everything I'm running on Windows 7 in terms of security on Windows 10"-what did you mean by this?

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Every security software he runs supports Windows 10. As does mine.

I think all the security software you listed supports Windows 10 officially or unofficially.

Lastly, please create separate thread for all of your questions. I'd just like to see everyone to be on topic.

14. CoolWebSearch

I don't even know how to call the thread...

15. Peter2150

How about My Security Questions.

16. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

@bo
    thats what i configured with a licensed version - force folders, in special flash.
    as freeware ok, but its fully potential only as a registered version.
    or use flash as portable, but not from the regular setup instead grab the npapi dll from the debug-edition and disable/enable it in firefox.
    the plugin folder under \Mozilla Firefox\ is still usable.
    flash is not that stinky as people always want to point out.
    when using windows 8 or hight you can not uninstall flash for ie

but - you deal flash in the box - me java for (rare) testing purpose. box is packed when not in use.

that mentioned bug in 5.05.01 - it occurs not regularly here on win8 and win7/32//64bit.
    and firefox seems not concerned.

concerning a question to win10 - create an image if you want to upgrade a present system. otherwise only install it on a new partition and try out. i used that clean installation with enterprise ltsb and its working fine with same programs. if you play online games or steam games it may be a risk, not all games are win10-ready. win10privacy (freeware) may your telemetrie friend.

cheers

17. bo elam

Perhaps what you do with Java is what I do with Flash. This is how I handle Flash in W7. I install Flash in a sandbox (named Prueba) and immediately after the installation is finished, I make a copy of the Prueba sandbox, I save this copy in My Documents. Then, whenever I need Flash, I just make a copy of the Prueba sandbox and paste it back in C>Sandbox>Bo. And then as I run Firefox in the Prueba sandbox, Flash works along Firefox. The sandbox gets deleted after I finish using Flash.

For maintenance, every 2 or 3 months, I delete the copy of the Prueba sandbox that I keep in My Documents and make a new one with a more recent version of Flash. About Java, I dont use Java at all. If I did, I would do something similar to what I do with Flash. In my W7, I dont have any plugin installed.:)

Bo

18. Why not use two different sandboxes and keep it up to date (use a firefox variant with flash e.g. palemoon/waterfox and your regular forefox without it).

19. bo elam

20. bo elam

The reason I handle Flash the way I do is to stay away from installing the plugin. I avoid installing plugins as much as I can. In W7, I dont lose any convenience for not having Flash as an installed program since it is rare for me to require it. And is the same with other plugins, I don't need any so I dont install any.

Copying the Prueba sandbox out of My Documents and pasting it inside C>Sandbox>Bo takes a few seconds, when I need Flash, I have Firefox running with Flash in less that 30 seconds.

On the other hand, in my Xp, in that computer I use Flash every day so I keep it installed. I have two dedicated sandboxes for Firefox in the XP, the main difference between one and the other is that in one I don't tick Drop rights and in the other one I use Drop rights.

Bo

21. bo elam

Something else, in my view, the lesser amount of programs I install, the better. So, I wouldn't install say, Palemoon to use it with Flash and keep using Firefox without Flash. If I wanted to do something like that, I would instead create a new Firefox profile and install Flash to be used with that profile only. But I dont need to do that. I like handling Flash the way I do now.

Bo

22. Agree, my user applications are Office2007 + Syncback Free (for data backup 2nd harddisk) + portable filezilla (for FTP uploads) and security aps chrome (build in sandbox) and MBAE free

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2015
  23. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Q: Is there a way to contain (and delete) AppData e.g., Internet Temporary Files or Internet Cache in sandbox.
    Seems, when I do not set browser to delete temp or cache files on browser close. CCleaner finds Internet Temporary (IE) and Cache (FF) files. Internet Explorers sandbox for example, only exclusion is 'Force'.
    I find AppData Local and Roaming in my browser sandbox. So, why does CCleaner also find AppData after Auto Delete...? TIA

24. bo elam

For Firefox, you can, and probably not totally for IE. If you don't tick any setting for Firefox in Applications>Web browsers>Firefox, other than the Force feature, nothing out of Firefox gets saved. If you tick to allow bookmarks out of the sandbox, history gets saved as well. Thats because Firefox saves bookmarks and history in the same file (places.sqlite).

For convenience, I want to save bookmarks but I prefer not to save history. So, what I do is set Firefox to use custom settings for history, that way, I save bookmarks but history gets deleted when I close Firefox. Setting Firefox to Never remember history would also get you a similar result. By setting Firefox that way, as far as I can tell or know, nothing gets out

In Sandbox settings, for Firefox, you can see the setting to allow phishing database to be saved out of the sandbox, ticked by default. I untick that setting so that database is downloaded and deleted in the sandbox. But is ticked by default so the entire database is not downloaded every time you run Firefox sandboxed. If you leave the setting ticked, you can see the time stamp for safebrowsing files and folders in AppData>Local>Mozilla change even though you run Firefox sandboxed. CCleaner doesnt delete or detect this files.

I use IE little but for IE, I think things are different. I believe there are programs that connect to the internet via IE. Also, read the link below. For example, if you download something using IE, the downloading gets recorded by Windows and CCleaner detects it even though you run IE in a sandbox.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?PrivacyConcerns

Bo

25. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

Fixes in 5.05.3
    1) Fixed several problems that could cause Chrome to crash in Windows 10.
    2) Added logins.json for Firefox and derivatives to templates.ini regarding Firefox passwords

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.