Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hello Pling man. I give you some ideas of what I think you can try but you should know, click-to-run and Office365 is not supported by Sandboxie at this time. Regular Office is.

Read this thread, its related to your issue. Read Cj716 reply to Mr X in the link below. Perhaps Mr X feedback in the preceding posts helps too.
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20140&start=15#p106668

In my particular case, I dont have to do anything special for Excel but for Word, with Sandboxies post 3.76 versions, I untick Drop Rights in Sandbox settings. I do that for convenience more than anything. I like my sandboxes to open and delete fast when I close sandboxed programs and with newer SBIE versions, to achieve that when I run Word, I must disable Drop Rights.

So, I suggest, try what Mr X wrote above or try running Excel in a sandbox without Drop Rights. Also, see if forcing Excel works better for you in a new sandbox with default settings. You could also test disabling protected view in Office to see if it makes a difference. And last, I have the feeling that if none of whats written above works, you could use the sandboxed Windows explorer for navigating to Excel files. If that works as a workaround, its easy to get used to doing that. After a while, it would become second nature for you running one for navigating to Excel files after they are recovered.

Bo

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. bo elam

Infected, the solution posted by Mr X should work as the issue running newer versions of Office programs under SBIE is DDE related.

Bo

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Rather I not to untick or disable security features in Sandboxie but Office. I have my Office 2013 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) with no issues running sandboxed by double clicking directly the file in question.

4. Infected

Infected Registered Member

I'm using 2007 Pro, should this be ok?

5. bo elam

Thats great to know Mr X. And I agree, I also would prefer disabling the security features in Office rather than in SBIE. :)

Bo

6. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yes. Please try it.
    Awaiting for feedback, thanks.

7. bo elam

As far as I know, Office 2007 should work as well as Office 2003 works for me in XP. In W7, I use Libre Office. Sandboxing office files with either programs works great for me. The only workaround that I have to do is the one I mentioned earlier that I do for convenience for Word. Sandboxie wants you back, Infected.;)

Bo

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

The last time I checked, Office 2013 didn't work. But you were right, Libre works just fine. :thumb:

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

@pling_man and @Infected
    Solution 1 is our first step troubleshooting this double click issue. But perhaps there's need to fix another likely error to show up. Very easy to fix as it is found in same Options within Word, Excel and PPoint. So do not give up.
    Repeat myself: I have Word, Excel and PPoint working with no opening files issues when double clicking.

10. bo elam

Office 2013 should work fine under SBIE, Rasheed. But not click-to-run.

Bo

11. Infected

For some reason, it's working fine. I forced Excel and Word to open Sandboxed and I don't get the errors that I used to. I'm using the latest stable version v4.20. I can double click with no problems. Is this what you was talking about?

12. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yes that's it.
    Besides there's another potential issue for downloaded files. I don't remember exactly the message box but this is the solution:
    1. click the file menu
    2. choose options
    3. choose trust center
    4. choose trust center settings
    5. choose protected view
    6. un-check enable protected view for files originating from the internet.

As you can see you are lowering security features in Office but who cares? lol
    As long you don't lower Sandboxie's robustness you're more than fine xD

13. Infected

I didn't have to do the Solution 1 that you posted earlier, just worked out of the box.

14. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I got it. Really don't know what fixed it, perhaps a Windows / Office hotfix/update, dunno.

15. Infected

Yes maybe. Thanks for your help though. :) Also, is there a template for MBAE and Sandboxie? I'm using the newest beta MBAE, not sure if it works for that version.

16. bo elam

There was a DDE fix implemented in Sandboxie 4.20. Perhaps that fix, fixed your issue. That issue was there when 4.18 was released but quickly fixed in an earlier beta 4.19. And as I remember now, I detected that issue and reported it to Curt, who confirmed to me that indeed, a change in a late 4.17 beta version affected DDE. This issue was not fixed when 4.18 was released but it was in an earlier 4.19 beta..

Bo

17. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Most likely that did the job :thumb:

18. bo elam

For a few days, between late late beta 4.17 and the earliest beta 4.19, not even I could force Excel. That only lasted for 4 or 5 days.

Bo

19. bo elam

20. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

Thanks Bo Elam and Mister X.
    I am using Office 2010.
    I have found that if I run Windows explorer sandboxed then it works fine.
    I will have read up at the links you have both posted and try out Mr X's Solution. 1

21. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Good about Windows Explorer but double click is far better though. Well I think so.

22. bo elam

I think so too. Forcing programs makes sandboxing files and programs automatic. No thinking required, more convenient and feels nicer. But using the sandboxed explorer makes things sort of semi automatic, sandboxing files works nicer using one than right clicking files and choosing to Run sandboxed or sandboxing files via Send to.

Specially so if running explorer by way of the sandboxed shiortcut. By using one, the user clicks the shortcut and explorer pops up open running sandboxed, then the user navigates to the file that he wants to run sandboxed. Nothing else needs to be done. Explorer can be set to run in its own sandbox and the sandbox can be restricted according to the programs that the user wants to allow to run.

It works nice. In the very first couple of versions 4 betas, none of the Office programs could be forced in any system. It took a couple of beta versions and a lot of work from Tzuk to be able to fix this problem. During that time, I used the sandboxed explorer to run Office files. Is a decent workaround. I don't particularly like icons in the taskbar but I keep one there for the sandboxed explorer shortcut.:)

Bo

23. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yes it is.
    Code:
    [Template_MBAE]

Tmpl.Title=Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
    Tmpl.Class=Security
    Tmpl.Scan=s
    Tmpl.ScanKey=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
    Tmpl.ScanKey=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
    OpenIpcPath=*\BaseNamedObjects*\NamedBuffer*Process*API*
    OpenIpcPath=*\BaseNamedObjects*\MBAE_IPC_PROTECTION*
    OpenIpcPath=*\BaseNamedObjects*\Mutex*Process*API*
    OpenIpcPath=*\RPC Control*\*MBAE_IPC_PROTECTION*
    OpenIpcPath=*\BaseNamedObjects*\AutoUnhookMap*
    OpenIpcPath=*\BaseNamedObjects*\mchMixCache*
    OpenIpcPath=*\BaseNamedObjects*\Ipc2Cnt*
    OpenIpcPath=*\BaseNamedObjects*\mchLLEW*
    OpenIpcPath=$:mbae-svc.exe
    InjectDll=C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit\mbae.dll
    InjectDll=C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit\mbae.dll
    InjectDll64=C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit\mbae64.dll
    Credits to @syrinx
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/malwarebytes-anti-exploit.354641/page-81#post-2486113

24. Infected

Thanks for all your help. This worked. :thumb::thumb:

25. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

No problem.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.