Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

I have a laptop with no printer so I use the "Virtual PDF printer" that comes with Nitro PDF Reader to print to PDF files.

I run Firefox in a Sandbox.

Sometimes I need to print the occasional web page (usually a receipt page from a purchase) and
    I get an error message telling me I have no printer installed.

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Pling man, what does the "Virtual PDF printer" do that you expect to print when you don't have a printer? From what I read, that features helps you convert files to PDF but I don't understand how it works.

I have never printed anything from my W7 laptop, if you give me an idea of what to do to print something using that computer with the "Virtual PDF printer" feature using the printer that I use for printing with the XP, I ll try to reproduce the error that you are getting or see if I can get a document to be printed out of the W7.

Yesterday, after installing Nitro, I tested printing from my XP, that worked fine. My XP is a desktop and has a printer. Nitro worked exactly the same as I always print sandboxed using Foxit portable, the PDF Reader that I use.

Bo

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Bo

Printing that way should work, but I find if I am doing a lot of it I do it outside SBIE. It is much easier that way.

Pete

4. bo elam

Hi Pete, I always print sandboxed (from browser, PDF in desktop, Excel, Word, name the program, it doesn't matter). To me, all related to printing works the same sandboxed or iunsandboxed. There is nothing that I have to do differently printing sandboxed as I would unsandboxed. Why do you feel is much easier to print running an application unsandboxed? :)

Bo

5. Peter2150

if you are going to a webpage and printing to pdf, it is just plain faster outside SBIE. For 1 page doesn't matter, but if you are doing 20-30 pages at a sitting it starts to add up. Since the site is safe, and I have other protection, I just find it easier.

6. bo elam

I don't find any difference in speed. But perhaps that is because I don't print anything unsandboxed so cant really compare. I don't know. All I know is that for me, printing sandboxed is convenient and I feel safer because I am doing it while running programs sandboxed which is how I want it done.

You mentioned printing from the browser. Regarding printing in Firefox or IE, I don't install the PDF plugin so when I open a PDF while browsing, the PDF opens up using Foxit (out of the browser) in my Firefox/IE sandbox. I think that makes things safer for me since I avoid installing the plugin, that way I can restrict the PDF from using Firefox as a vehicle to have access to the internet.

Bo

7. Peter2150

I see. I don't worry as much as I also have Appguard, standing watch.

8. bo elam

Sandboxie:cool: on a roll, Beta 4.15.8 is out.

Fixes in 4.15.8

1) Fixed another Dll Initialization Failed issue
    2) Error SBIE2101 now gives more information.
    3) Increased named pipe timeout from 3 seconds to 10 seconds to eliminate SBIE2101 error.
    4) A security problem reported by a user has been fixed (details when 4.16 is released).
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=19837#p104534

Bo

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  9. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. My printing issue seems to have gone away. Or perhaps it only happens with certain websites. Will have to keep an eye on it and see if I can isolate the problem if it occurs again.

10. bo elam

Nice to know, pling man.:thumb:

Bo

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks so much for keeping us apprised of beta releases, Bo.

12. bo elam

You are welcome, my friend. This beta tests good in XP and W7.

Bo

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

4.15.8 is running fine on my two W7 machines.
    Installing SBIE betas has always been done with confidence.
    What's impressive is that Invincea has maintained the same track record of stable betas that tzuk gave us.

14. bo elam

I agree. In my mind, the latest beta is always the most stable version released to date. It feels that way.

Bo

15. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I sort of wish the official releases were released more regularly.

16. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Salutations, Bo!

Uninstall Dr. Web Security Space most current version and Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware today.
    Then install SandBoxie latest Beta, along with NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro latest beta. Also, had Shadow
    Defender install from the past events.

This is on Windows 8.1 with latest Operating System. Every is working well.

17. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Thanx Guru.:cool: Updated and working well as usual here.

18. bo elam

:thumbd:, Nice.

@Moose World, nice to read all is well now.:cool:

Bo

19. Moose World

Salutations,

Questions, what anti-viruses can you use with Sandboxie? On should I say on demand scanners only? Do you have a list?
    Now, Emsisoft Emergency Kit will work on a USB stick. But NOT Dr. Web Security Space will not run with SandBoxie?

Do you know if AVZ Antiviral Toolkit will conflict and/or cause Sandboxie NOT to work?
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/AVZ-Antiviral-Toolkit.shtml

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  20. bo elam

Moose, all on demand scanners ought to work with Sandboxie. Install them out of the sandbox. I dont keep any installed in my PCs but sometimes I install temporarily in Shadow mode, HMP and Malwarebytes to run a scan. For me, those two are plenty. Real time scanners are the ones that sometimes conflict with Sandboxie, specially when they have toolbars, URL filters, reputation things or a bunch of extra features.

Bo

21. bo elam

Hey Moose, I don't know what AVZ Antiviral Toolkit is but if it is on demand, its OK. I see its related to Kaspersky. If it is a real time program, use the antivirus only. Kaspersky toolbars and Sandboxie are not friendly with each other.

Bo

22. Moose World

Salutations,

Thank you for the information. Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware work well and is good at cleaning Ma-lware. HMP is just NOT that good at cleaning Mal-ware.
    Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit on a USB stick work well also, but their detection is going down hill. Any other suggestions? Just in case, I become infect with Mal-ware down the road. For Example,certain Ransom-wares, Stealth Trojans, ect.... From anybody?

Moose's World

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  23. bo elam

Moose, based on my personal experience, if you constantly use Sandboxie to sandbox most files and programs that run in your computers, you wont have problems with malware, ransom-wares, Trojans, etc. My best suggestion is try to get used to using SBIE as much as possible, that would take care of malware for good. I dont have any scanners installed in my computers but if I was to, I would have MBAM and HMP.

Bo

24. focus

focus Registered Member

I've used Eset Nod32 AV (realtime) with Sandboxie for years with absolutely no problems, the same with Malwarebytes realtime. I scan with HMP occasionally also. I am curious, what experiences have you had with HMP that cause you to give it a downvote?

focus

25. Moose World

@focus: Thank you for the information. Years ago,I was a big NOD32 fan.
    At that point in time,they where not good at cleaning all the mal-ware leave over.

> HMP customer support, plus false positives.
    > Something not cleaning the mal-ware at all.
    > That is without going into too much detail.

Moose's World

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.