Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I haven't been bothered by 180 day re-activation that seems to happen anyway.

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yes...now that I know. I do agree. Thanks for heads up re 4.15. I'll stay with 4.14

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Actually, I think I there is something wrong on my system, and I may have misunderstood these settings. Basically, what I use "direct access" for is to make downloaded files from the browser (or other tool) end up on the real desktop. But it seems like with this approach you give apps write access to all folders on the real desktop, even when you block access to certain desktop folders. Now that can not be right.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You can use Direct access for what you want. Thats what that setting is for.

If you block access to a folder that's placed at the Desktop and you allow Direct file access to the Desktop, files shouldn't download straight through to the blocked folder. You should be seeing a blocked access message telling you that access is denied.

A hint for you to make allowing Direct file access a little more tight, secure. For example, if you would like Firefox to be the only program (instead of All programs) running in the sandbox that has access to the Desktop, you can. In the Direct file access window (OpenFilePath) in Sandbox settings, Click Add program, select Firefox, you ll see Firefox.exe in the drop down window, Click Add, navigate to the Desktop, after selecting it, Click Apply, OK.

Bo.

5. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

If we put aside the notion of using the desktop as such, you can organise filesystems under drives (whether networked or local), and within folders under the drive. Those areas can be controlled by standard OS user/group access permissions anyway, but also allowed Direct access for Sandboxie, or (most of the time) have Blocked access.

So, for example, I give my image editors Direct access to the photos folder in the digital media section, but Block any other directories or drives, especially those for my "real" user data. The blocking takes priority. Photo sharing and backup works directly from the shared photos folder. If you did not provide Direct access, then different image manipulation software would not be working off the same data, and it would be hard to share and backup.

6. Rasheed187

I've done some testing. With Opera installed in the sandbox, I need "full access" to give access to the real desktop. With Opera forced (not installed in sandbox) I can indeed use "direct access". And when I block access to folders on the desktop it will indeed give me "access denied".

So to be honest, I don't see the risk involved with "full access", as long as you block access to important folders. Basically, sandboxed apps can then only write to "C:\Users\MyPC\Desktop" and not to "C:\Users\MyPC\Desktop\Important Data". Unless I'm missing something.

7. bo elam

Now you are getting the feeling how this settings work.
    To make allowing Direct access or Full access a little safer, you should do what I suggested in the last paragraph of my previous post. If you set it up correctly, only Opera will have access to the desktop. Get your access window looking like in the picture. In your case, instead of firefox.exe, you ll see opera.exe.

Bo
    Sin título - copia.jpg

8. Rasheed187

Yes this is a good idea. But what I'm trying to say is that "full access" doesn't have to be dangerous, even without that setting. The only thing that bugs me is that SBIE shouldn't automatically give write access to all folders on desktop, yet it does. So you do have to block access to those folders. BTW, you need to restart apps in order to see changes to the "resource access" settings, that's why I got confused and thought there was something wrong.

9. Rasheed187

BTW, in some sandboxes I have disabled "direct/full access", so I made shortcuts on the desktop for quick access to those sandboxed files. But I need a quick way to copy/move the files to the real system. On Win XP I used FileTargets and Piky Basket, do they still work on Win7/8, or does anyone know about similar tools? I can't make them work on Win 8.

http://www.filedropper.com/filetargets141
    http://www.filedropper.com/pkysetup

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I use the explorer replacement Xplorer2 -www.zabkat.com I've used it for a long time on Xp and now win 7 I am sure it works on 8, but it has trials. I love it

11. ad18

ad18 Registered Member

Lifetime licenses are back and are now $34.95 for one computer, $49.95 for three computers, and $74.95 for five computers.:)

12. bo elam

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  13. bo elam

14. Rasheed187

15. Rasheed187

Not sure what you mean with this, because it's not quite the same as the other tools that I mentioned, perhaps you can check them out on Win 7 64 bit. The closest thing I found so far is MyFolders.

http://www.coretechnologies.com/products/MyFolders/

16. Rasheed187

BTW, is it correct that you can't run MS Office 2013 "sandboxed"? On Win 8, all apps like MS Word try to run but they terminate themselves.

17. bo elam

Supposedly, regular Office 2013 should be working sandboxed. I suggest you post about your issues running Office 2013 in this recent thread. Actually, I encourage you to do it. By doing so, Invincea will know that this is a larger problem that what they actually think it is.
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20140

About Office 2013 working under Sandboxie.
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&p=105857#p105788

Bo

18. Peter2150

Dog gone it Rasheed, you had me look at Myfolders, so I installed it, and like it. But actually I do what you want with the replacement I mentioned. When I run explorer sandboxed and copy a file to the desktop, it goes to the sandbox in the desktop folder, as it should, but when at the same time I run explorer from out side the sandbox I can reach into the sandbox and copy the file out no problem.

What is neat about the replacement I suggested to you, is you can open two panes, and it's like having two explorers side by side. One side I can set to the real desktop, the other to the folder in the sandbox. Then I can copy no problem.

Pete

19. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Problem is, "regular" Office 2013 is only really available to Enterprise customers, in other words, it's not what most people will use (I guess Sandboxie is not widely adopted in corporate/enterprise environments although they would likely benefit). Which means, for me, Office 2013 is not an option. There's no way I'm going to have oft-attacked applications running outside a Sandbox, and if the app vendor won't implement a sandbox, then I have to be able to run it under Sandboxie. If it won't, bad luck to it.

20. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

When I click on certain apps (their desktop icon) I would like them to always run sandboxed. Is that doable?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  21. Peter2150

Well I have the full office professional Pro 2013 stand alone installer, so I just upgraded. Aside from it looking absolutely and positively awful, I tried running an access data base that runs fine in SBIE under 2013, and while ran judging by the characters I thought I had a klingon version. No worry about running it sandboxed, as I really don't seeing it run at all.

22. bo elam

Hi Cruise, with the paid version, you force programs to run them sandboxed automatically.

With the free version, you can create sandboxed shortcuts for your programs. And place the shortcuts in your desktop or task bar. For example, if you like to create a sandboxed shortcut for Firefox, open Sandboxie control and navigate to Configure>Windows shell integration, Click Add shortcut icons, Select DefaultBox, Find Firefox in one of the menus, Click it, afterward, you ll find a sandboxed shortcut for Firefox in your desktop. If you click on the sandboxed shortcut, Firefox runs sandboxed.

You can do that for any program. And you can create new sandboxes to separate programs from each other. But in the free version, you can only use one sandbox at a time.

Bo

23. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Thanks Bo. I'll play around with that technique when I get more time.

24. bo elam

You are welcome, Cruise. Start with something simple and easy to test. Since your default browser is designed to open up when you click in the sandboxed web browser icon that Sandboxie places in your desktop, test creating sandboxed shortcuts with something like your second favorite browser.

After your first test using the DefaultBox, go ahead and create a new sandbox and then create the sandboxed shortcut to open the browser in the dedicated sandbox. That way you can separate programs from each other and setup each sandbox according to the program.

Bo

25. Rasheed187

OK I see what you mean, but I've never really been into Win Explorer replacements. And MyFolders is cool indeed, it allows you to quickly move apps and files out of (and into) the sandbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.