Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

There is no other DARPA, so yes. However, that isn't something that should be viewed with suspicion. DARPA is primarily concerned with defense projects of course, but they have also worked with many civilian companies for non-military projects as well. Almost every technological advancement we have ever had was defense-based at first and only for the military. As for Sandboxie, I agree that the Tzuk going away is probably a death knell for the program.

2. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Most probable the guy sold it to move to another project for which the money given may help
    Windows 8 may have also gave him trouble so he considered it s better to do it now than later.

I think it was a smart move and as none of the free users payed his bills , we should just thank him for this great software ,use it while we can and move on.

The new guys will take and use this software to make money ,so expect no more free versions.But this fact alone does not exclude the software to evolve or be included into something better.

Thank you Tzuk for Sandboxie and good luck with your next projects.

Anyway a lot of people browse on non Windows mobile devices this days :)

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I made a mistake to buy SBIE. It,s dead. :thumbd: Time to look for an alternative. :mad:

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Nothing's been proven yet, and we already have people exclaiming. Well, actually that's normal.

5. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

So right now I'm using two security solutions for which development has more or less stopped. :p
    Well I guess I will stay with 3.76 version as long as it works on Windows 7. I hope that some OS update won't break it too soon.

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yes a lot of speculation. Also a lot of past practice. I think the best thing to do is watch things unravel and deal with it. I'll indeed be sad if sandboxie ends up like Bo-clean or threatfire or (add favorite debunked software here). Fact is that Sm3K3R might be right. Maybe Win8 was giving Tzuk problems and felt that he take an out. Nothing wrong with that. I'm hoping that this new company does right by sandboxie and Tzuk. Time will tell.

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good luck. If you find one, please let us know. :cautious:

Acadia

8. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Unless you're using one of the big, shiny mainstream packages, it's never a bad idea to always seek potential security alternatives to your current favourites. In the case of Sandboxie, however, it's pretty unique and maybe not so easy to replace it with something similar which instills the same confidence in its effectiveness against exploits. It might mean re-thinking one's security approach. I would say, based on what I've read about Win 8.0/8.1, if you're using it, especially the Pro version, you've got yourself a rather solid base to build your security upon. It definitely has security enhancements not found in earlier Windows versions, including Vista and 7.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

There is no need to be too pessimistic about this news. It is true that selling a company most of the time is a bad omen, but let's face it Sandboxie works very well on XP, Vista, Win 7/8. We may have a problem with Windows 9 if Tzuk is not there... In which case I might start using Shadow Defender regularly again.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Why, did it stop working. It is still working on my machine.

Tzuk said lifetime licenses will be honored, so what in heavens name is the big deal at this point.

How long have people been using FDISR, since it's demise?

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi Osaban,
    I noted earlier in this thread that tzuk has said that MS could release an update at any time that could break 64-bit Sandboxie.
    That could be a problem, my friend.
    Who will be there to release a beta fix for us in one or two days?
    Invincea?

12. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

It is different, FDISR does not require a active internet connection (which all software should do) SBIE does. :mad:

Also Mike Nash said Online Armor would get better since the sell out o_Oo_O :argh:

13. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I agree about what Invincea name sounds like and telling we have been under their umbrealla already some time.

Anyways they will have to proof me wrong and that my system is gone bad to because of a few things I have seen lately.

Forced Folders not as reliable and sandboxed program installs being able to execute unsandboxed, under limited Win 7 user account. There has still been none reply to my post on this thread:

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=17475

Thank you Ronen for all your work with your great software.

Jarmo

EDIT
    The Invincea page reminds me of a company I once worked with. Disgusting adds about how super they they are when not, but these days that may be just the typical corporation policy hype.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@Seven64: SBIE needs an active Internet connection... Now this I have to see.

15. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I guess you have never Paid for a license.:ouch:
    Always ask me to activate ( internet connection required) SBIE.

16. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

This is great watching all the SBIE's fanboy getting stab in the back.
    And wishing Turz great wishes.:D

17. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

This is quite interesting.
    Sandboxie was actually acquired months ago and sandboxie users did not notice.

If the announcement had not been made public would we seriously notice any change in its behaviour..?

Take online armor for example.....
    It was acquired by emsisoft from tall emu...has online armor as a product suffered in any way..?

If we are to bring a critical eye on this acquisition at least give it some time to see how the new ownership takes shape.

It could be the best thing that has happened to it and the developer must think so or he wouldnt have handed over the reins to another organisation.

18. guest

guest Guest

Say... if it really turned out that Sandboxie will meet its gallows like you all here have predicted, what would you use to replace it? Shadow Defender?

And I don't see it's getting worse either. In fact, if OA wasn't acquired by Emsisoft, you can kiss goodbye to OA since nearly everyone aren't interested to use security software other than AVs. EAM can be the money source to ensure OA to keep ongoing.

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Page, yes of course there's always a possibility of an unpredictable MS update wreaking havoc, I still can't upgrade to Win 8.1 because of Samsung's late reaction, but one would hope that Tzuk might still be around or somebody who might have trained with him. After all it is code that any good programmer can patch if required. The change over certainly explains the new licensing system.

20. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Key words here being "at this point". Lifetime licenses being honored is just one side of the coin.
    Continuous development is required to make the product viable. Sure it may not need an update for a while but it will at some point - compatiblity issues with various applications and newer versions of Windows or updates/service packs. And if development gets ceased, then what? You'll have a lifetime license for a product that wouldn't work well/at all becase it would've fallen behind.
    I'm not saying this is what's going to happen but it's a possible scenario, especially considering other similar buyouts we've seen in the past.

So... I will remain very skeptical for Sandboxie's future and hope that I am wrong.

21. Peter2150

And Actually it has.

22. Peter2150

Using this logic, which I do understand, buying Sandboxie was a very unwise thing to do.. It has always been a one man show, and that show could have abruptly terminated at any time.

Pete

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Tzuk will be gone and SBIW will go too. Just wait and see. If you expect otherwise, let me say that you are probably ignoring the previous such experiences.

BTW FDISR worked but not out of the box and not every software is expected to work like FDISR.

24. SLE

SLE Registered Member

This statement aimed at the old experimental x64 protection in v3.x series, which used some sort of kernel flaw. Sandboxie v4 has a fundamental changed design.

25. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Honouring lifetime licenses doesn't mean anything if the original product is being discontinued and the new owner starts a new product. You will have a lifetime license for abandonware that will likely not be viable for the new product.

If Sandboxie were to end, it would indeed be hard to replace. The closest replacement would be AppGuard in my opinion, at least in terms of protecting your Windows against malware, even if it has a totally different concept.

I don't consider Shadow Defender as realtime protection, though I still love it. For one it lacks protection against an attack, which is in progress, and second, it is too limiting for every day use.

With Sandboxie I can choose what can run, which actions are temporary and which are final. It is set and forget and doesn't bother me once I am done with my configuration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.