Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I am not seeing the changes from 4.10 to 4.12 in SBIE website. Does this update address perhaps some issues in win 8.1 or why it was released?

----------------

EDIT:
    (from forum)
    Version 4.12
    Released on 29 May 2014.

These are the changes to Sandboxie since version 4.10:

• The MS Visual C++ redistributable libraries have been broken out into a separate download. These now download and install during the Sandboxie install. Installing them this way will enable them to be automatically updated by Windows Update should MS issue any hotfixes.
    • The auto-update feature is working again.
    • The Portuguese (Portugal) language has been fixed.
    -----------------------

I know the dll libraries need be updated perhaps, so maybe that is why they are bundled in this update. I think I already have got those from Microsoft update though.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  2. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

I updated from v4.10 to v4.12.
    I also installed C++ 2010 10.0.30319.

So far, so good...

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, I have same experience. The delay is still there but it's a little smaller.

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i did not install microsoft c++ ,i updagrade only sandboxie
    is it normal this?
    http://i.imgur.com/xxRJC7D.png

thanks

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Mantra, you probably used the combined (32/64 bits) installer. So yes, it is normal to have 10.0.40219 installed at the same time as SBIE 4.12 got installed.

Bo

6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I have two Home PC's that have Win XP on them. I upgraded my Sandboxie 4.08 to 4.12 and the new Sandboxie 4.12 seems to be working good. I got a Windows Update notice from Microsoft Windows Update to download and install a Microsoft C++ Security Patch, which I did.

7. bo elam

I disable Windows updates but after installing 4.12 and visiting the Windows update site, I did get an update for 10.0.40219. That was on XP. On the other hand, in W7, after installing 4.12 when I visited Windows update, I did not get an update for 10.0.40219.:)

Bo

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes i did
    why ? the 64bit only doesn't include the microsoft c++
    when i installed i got a windows 7 warning ...
    thanks Bo

9. bo elam

You are welcome Mantra. The reason the separate 64 bit installer does not include the microsoft c++ is because it was made available after some users who already had .40219 installed in their computers experienced problems when they upgraded to version 4.12 and used the combined installer. Curt:cool: from Invincea made the standalone version available (without c++ upgrade) to help those users.

I tested both versions (combined and standalone) and both worked well for me.

Bo

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  10. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

I got it ;) (in my case as automatic update, a short time after installing SBIE 4.12): KB2565063

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No trouble here. I just downloaded the dual installer and it ran just fine.

Pete

12. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

I downloaded and installed the 64bit 4.12 version but not the C++. I don't have any C++ installed. Am I missing something as to that, is C++ needed now for the 4.12 update and should I install the C++ ? 4.12 seems to running o.k. without the C++. Inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

13. bo elam

Hi Wolfrun, you don't need to install nothing, Sandboxie did it for you when you ran the separate 64 bits installer. The files that Sandboxie requires gets installed with either the combined or standalone installer. Read here Wolfrun:cool:, things get clear after you do.
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19053&start=15#p101495

Bo

14. bo elam

Thanks Pete. I ll check it out (KB2565063) and probably will install it.

Bo

15. wolfrun

Thanks Bo, I have the above dll's in windows 32 so all is well.
    :thumb:

16. Reality

Reality Registered Member

XP Pro 32bit . Just updated my SBIE from 4.8 to 4.12 - No probs. Not sure if I should have checked dlls or anything else. Is C++ 2010 10.0.30319. optional or.....o_O GOt no idea if I have this or not.

17. wolfrun

I don't have C++ installed just 4.12 64bit. However the mfc100u.dll and msvcr100.dll are or were installed in system 32 which are connected to C++. Whether Sandboxie installed those dll's I am not sure of. Bo will probably chime in here and elaborate. Bottom is that Sandboxie is running well here with abolutely no problems:cool:

18. Reality

All good here so far too. I'll have to do some more digging around in the settings though as, if I want to update anything or get an add on, it gets deleted when I close the browser. Yesterday I got that "cookie self destruct" add on. I had to go back and get it again, but it'll do the same unless I figure out how to make it stick.

19. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You should update software and install addons outside of SBIE (disable forced apps). After updating / installing run browser in sandbox again.

20. bo elam

If the SBIE installer ran all the way to the end, then what SBIE requires either got installed or you already had it.

Everything being good so far, means your Sandboxie installation was properly installed.
    Its safer to install and update your Addons outside the sandbox but if you figure out the file where the addon saves its settings, then by allowing direct access to that file, changes to settings will be saved out of the sandbox.

Bo

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  21. Reality

Thanks bo for chiming in. Coming from you, I feel OK opting for the safer method. I have mucked around with FF profile and moved the cache to another partition because of a fairly small system drive. It was a while ago and Im fuzzy on exactly what I did.

EDIT didnt see you post hqsec ...thanks for your response too.

22. is this still a beta or a final v4

23. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I hope I'm not going to far OT, but since the topic of C++ 'redists' came up, I notice that in addition to the 2010 version I also have several 2008 versions. Can these be removed or could they still required?

Cruise

24. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Hi Cruise,

That depends on the programs you have installed and what version of C++ they need in order to run. Some developers are diligent in updating their programs to run on the latest version while others are not, so the safest action here is no action at all. I would just leave them be.

Wendi

25. bo elam

Versions 4.12, 4.10, 4.08, 4.06, 4.04 and 4.02 are stable versions. Versions in between (like for example, 4.09) were betas. I have the feeling that Invincea might change in the future how versions are called but to this day, that's how versions have been named.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?VersionChanges

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.