Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi chinook9, about Chrome locking up when logging in Hotmail or eBay, I cant tell you anything as I don't use those websites. But the messages are pretty much expected when running Chromium browsers under SBIE. I don't use Chrome, but I get them sometimes when I run Edge. If the messages annoy you, you ought to Hide them. They are meaningless, and can be ignored.

Bo

2. GrDukeMalden

GrDukeMalden Registered Member

3. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

4. bo elam

5. GrDukeMalden

6. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Yes the releases on GitHub are sorted by date so the topmost is the most recent.

7. SandboxieDev

SandboxieDev Registered Member

Thanks Bo. It's been awhile. Good to see you as well. And happy to be here.

8. GrDukeMalden

The setup file for the 64 bit version of sandboxie 5.40.1 is now detected as malware by 9 different databases on virus total.

9. SandboxieDev

Thanks all for the warm welcome! First, I'd like to address the elephant in the room. The driver signing issue. My first task will to get a cert for doing the releases. Without that this effort is a non-starter. Don't worry about the cost I'll cover that if I need to. Engineering as been very good to me over the years such that this cost is not a factor for me. This is my way of giving back to the community. Hopefully, that won't take to long. I'm hoping days not weeks.

10. SandboxieDev

That doesn't surprise me. Once we start signing our releases we'll be able to fix that.

11. bo elam

Tom, we are glad you are here. And when I say we, I mean most Sandboxie users. I know most of us want someone like yourself in charge of Sandboxie's development. You worked on SBIE, you know SBIE, you love SBIE, it cant be any better.

Bo

12. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

:thumb:

13. SandboxieDev

I admire the passion with your attempt to fix this issue. But the problem you're seeing is the initial problem you were looking at. You just pushed the issue to the next level. Have you read Curt's write up? You should start there and attempt to reproduce what he is seeing. You are likely going to have to kernel debug to figure this one out. And having a copy of IDA Pro will definitely help. From what Curt told me a fix will require an enhancement to sbie (a new feature), very likely a driver change.

I have a few ideas about what's happening but I need to spin up the debugger to see what's going on before I can answer that question.

Do please continue your efforts. I'm very interested in seeing what you discover. Sbie is going to need people like you.

14. MGhell

MGhell Registered Member

Wow, that's great news! :thumb:

15. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I still have v5.33.6 - is it best to stay with that for now?

16. MGhell

MGhell Registered Member

i'd stay with 5.33.6 as long as there's not a proper certificate for signing the driver...

17. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Something I'm a little curious about.

Now that Sandboxie is open-source, do developers have to continue calling it Sandboxie or can they each give it their own name?

18. bo elam

I would. Sandboxie Version 5.33.6 is working great with W10 1909 18363.778. There is no need to update at this moment, beside that, the release of 5.33.6 by Curt has given us the time to wait for Tom to set himself up. :)

Bo

19. bo elam

As you read, Sandboxie will have it. Sandboxie deserves it.

Bo

20. MGhell

MGhell Registered Member

Definately!

21. SandboxieDev

Yes, I would stay with 5.33.6 until we resolve the signing issue. We'll push a new release once that is resolved.

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks for the info.

23. SandboxieDev

Developers are free to do what they want with the sandboxie code within the limits GPL 3.0 License. They are free to call their version what ever they like. I'm here to establish the continuity of trust with the sandboxie brand/name to continue it's legacy. If you want to create "phoenix-boxie" based off of sandboxie you are free to do so.

24. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

This is a minor issue, and a low priority, but could one of the developers look into why Sandboxie will not work when ESET is installed? I've tried various "fixes" I've found online, but none have worked. Essentially, I cannot run any browser within a Sandbox since I've installed ESET. While I love ESET, at this point, I'm considering switching to another AV when my subscription runs out because of this issue with Sandboxie.

25. Special

Special Registered Member

So now that Tom has come out of the woods was this the big news Bo was hinting at? Or can we expect even more good news...

BTW Tom, when things settle a bit and you start getting things set up and running, you should consider setting up a Patreon, not as a "I'm quitting my day job to work GitHub full time dev" but you know, coffee money. I'd gladly help you and out with some coffee money (because I have a feeling just managing GitHub issues "Why don't my 50GB pirated XGame not work in Sandboxie!!!" will be a job in itself.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.