Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Somewhere in between... that's spot on, imo.
    Worked on in spurts... again, I think you've hit on it.
    The price of long term availability... might very well be the case.
    Still too early to say... well, I am asking for everyone's assessment at this time. Not necessarily a prediction at this time, but a report card if you will. I see them lagging behind tzuk's performance pace, and other than a forum update, I see nothing to brag about in how they handle requests for support.

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Karad, 4.07.05 is a nice version. If I was you, I would run over the top the next SBIE version that comes out or wait a couple more versions and then try again to see if the issues go away. Good luck.

Bo

3. bo elam

I think in time, the new guys will get into the groove about Sandboxie and iron things out. In PM, Tzuk asked me to give them a chance and see what they do with SBIE, to me, it sounded like he trust them so that's what I am doing.
    Anyway, like Chris said, there's nothing like Sandboxie. And really, there is nothing like Sandboxie. In my personal case, V4 has not been perfect but I feel very comfortable using all of my sandboxes and the (minor) issues that I experience have been around from months before Tzuk left. So its not easy to fix issues real fast and thats specially so when you are new (like Invincea).

Bo

4. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Page42’s question has been making me think. Particularly about pace of development.

I looked at the last few ‘Tzuk’ betas. I would have looked at the older ones but can’t seem to find anything past Version 4. Did there used to be an ‘old beta’ forum?

Anyway, what interested me was pace of development and topics discussed at each stage. I’ve omitted 4.01 given it was mammoth and the introduction of totally new architecture.

37 topics, 324 posts and 4 iterations of the build. Duration 25th June to 8th July

50 topics, 624 posts and 12 iterations of the build. Duration 18th July to 16th October

4.07 (brought to the market as 4.08 by Invincea)
    20 topics, 250 posts and 5 iterations of the build. Duration 24th October to 20th January.

4.09 (First Invicea only build)
    4 topics, 48 posts and 1 iteration of the build to date. Duration 19th Feb ongoing

By that reckoning we had 21 different builds from Tzuk over a 7 month period (25th June until his departure on 22nd January) or 3 a month addressing a multitude of user concerns and issues. My recollection is that will be indicative of his work-rate over the years and given we had 12 new full versions of the product between 2011 and 2012 it seems likey.

In the intervening period we’ve had 2 builds (giving Invincea credit for 4.08 but we all know that was Tzuk) from Invincea, although I know one is due this week, and the beta forum is covering only 3 issues despite the growing bug list in the Problem Report forum.

Where Invincea seem a bit better is visability on the forum where Curt, Alan & Joohwan seems fairly frequent visitors and they appear to be trying to promote the product via new look webpage, youtube videos etc.

It could of course be that Tzuk did the hard work and left Invincea with a stable product that needs less development. The problem reports would suggest other wise though. It could also be they are working on fixes for the problem reports but don’t move the topics to the beta forum but I find the seeming drop off in development, despite the increase in resources, interesting.

As noted elsewhere I remain hopeful about Invincea and I’m willing to accept that as part of a product set Sandboxie may not be the main priority. Let's hope they do enough to make the product viable. If it does not make money or result in enough shift to the enterprise versions then commercial reality beckons.

Cheers

5. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

+1 chris1341

Stats don't lie.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Good!!
    You and I appear to be in agreement, chris1341.
    Thanks for the detailed compilation. :thumb:

7. bo elam

Seems to me that Invincea does things differently than Tzuk regarding what to do with Problem reports. Tzuk used to move threads to the beta subforum once they were fixed or when he thought a particular beta should fix something that was reported as a problem. He used to move them because it made it easier for him to do follow up. But Invincea leaves threads in the Problem reports forum even when they get fixed. Whether a thread is moved or not, it doesn't really matter, as long as it gets fixed, I think.

The Problem report between Firefox 27, SBIE and Avast which affected a lot of users got fixed when 4.09.01 got released but the thread was not moved from Problem reports. Same for a Chrome problem that was reported by Page, when it got fixed, the thread was not moved either. With Tzuk, we could not create new threads in the beta forum but with the new guys, we can. They do things differently than Tzuk, we just got to get used to how they do them, thats how I feel about that.

According to my good friend Page, Tzuk was like Superman. And he really was but filling in his shoes is no easy task. The new guys are doing a better job than I expected. In my personal case, all I expect from them is to maintain the program keeping it up to date with windows updates or compatible with programs like browsers, Office, etc. And so far, so good.

But I know they looking at adding new features. One of the Invincea guys asked me if I wanted something added to Sandboxie, I told him I don't since I want Sandboxie to remain as it is. But if someone likes to see something new in SBIE, go ahead and tell them. They'll listen.:)

Bo

8. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Different developers, different style, different focus and different pace. You can't possibly expect them to work the same way Ronen did.

For one, Sandboxie was Tzuk's "baby". For these guys, it's their "adopted child".

For another, Tzuk worked alone - he can do as he pleased and according to his schedule. For these guys, it's teamwork and they are answerable to one another and not to forget, their boss.

Just be glad they are actually working on the code (fixes) and listening to the users. Things could have gone worse...much worse. You had the luxury in the past...be contented with what you have today. As for the future, Que Sera Sera (whatever will be, will be). ;)

9. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I have been testing different antivirus programs on my laptop while using Sandboxie off and on. I am using Bitdefender Internet Security 2014 currently and I had a warning that both programs might not work correctly together. I checked the Sandboxie software compatibility box and should I need to adjust some Bitdefender settings as well?

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Generally speaking, I am not a person who bases my contentment on how much worse things could have gone.
    In the long run, according to Thoreau, men hit only what they aim at, so they’d better aim at something high.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Always good to get your perspective, Bo.
    In fact whenever I post on this thread, it's in the back of my mind that I hope you will respond. :cool:

12. bo elam

Sportscubs, read this link, it is the Sandboxie known conflicts webpage.The info on Bit Defender is old and might be obsolete but as far as I know, the antivirus part of Bit Defender, works well with Sandboxie but if the AVC feature is still available in Bit Defender, then you have to untick the option. AVC and SBIE can not be used at the same time.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?KnownConflicts#bitdefender

Bo

13. safeguy

Well, you sounded like you were unsatisfied or unconvinced with Invincea standards. My point was to show that I prefer to look at the glass as half full rather than half empty.

In the long run, even if Invincea had not come into the picture, Sandboxie would die if Tzuk could not handle it anymore. Think about it. Health, death, simply grew tired or stressed of the service. The fact that it lasted this long is a feat in itself. Imagine if Sandboxie died along with Tzuk's retirement. My point is Invincea is a bigger team...the prospects of survival are better; whatmore with their deal with Dell. Is there a possibility of them abandoning Sandboxie? Yes. Does it look like it currently? No. If one is worried about such things, one should have been more concerned when the business was a 1-man show.

I agree about aiming high but I also like to be realistic. I won't reach the moon no matter how high I aim my shot. I also don't want it to fall hard on myself or others if it miss. So, I don't aim high as much as I aim accurately :p

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

What gave you that impression? Was it this? ;)

15. safeguy

I guess so. Just to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you. The level of support probably can never match Tzuk. I have no affliation with Invincea whatsover...just wanted to show a different way to look at the situation.

16. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

I'm not impressed with the level of development and support as well. There is an annoying issue with Skype here (which appears to apply to the latest versions of Skype on Windows 8/8.1 if I am not mistaken, so quite a few people should be affected). They put it on the low priority pile because of how difficult to debug Skype is. It also took them a while to notice the topic/problem.
    I know Skype is a pain the ass to debug but I have the feeling Tzuk would have figured it out by now, or at least a temporary workaround. As it stands, it's taking Invincea 2 months now. For a company that is supposedly good at this it sure is taking them quite a bit of time.

I am not saying they are incompetent but so far they have failed to impress me as much as Tzuk did.

17. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Sandboxie forum is and has always been a bit messed up in that the release version don't its have own forum. Beta's should be discussed in their own subforum.

I for instance never install betas. Feels useless to post there sometimes because of the above problem.

18. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Not that much of a prediction...
    You "wondered" if "perhaps" but you were "not sure". ;)

20. bo elam

21. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks, Bo.
    Looks like this beta fixes a narrow range of issues, if I'm reading it correctly.

23. bo elam

24. bo elam

You are welcome my friend.:)

Bo

25. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

If you are referring to Chrome crash when reporting an issue under Tools->Report an issue, that was fixed a couple of weeks ago.

Or maybe this one? SBIE2203 Failed to communicate with Sandboxie Service: *GUIPROXY_00000001 - chrome.exe [C0000024]. I hadn't heard that was fixed. Last I read on that was joohwan@invincea on Mar 21, "Got a consistent repro on this, will get to it as soon as we can."

I still get a Windows-Application Error that says, "The exception breakpoint. A breakpoint has been reached. (0x80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x5e323ed6." I haven't tested it enough to say decisively that it is SBIE-related, but it appears to be Chrome-related. I just don't like to run Chrome outside of Sandboxie unless I am updating the browser, so the testing gets put off.

The SBIE2214 Request to start service 'bits' was denied due to dropped rights error seems to have calmed down, but I may have told SBIE to ignore it. How does a user check all of the ignore commands he has put in place?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.