Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Innovation? Its big, sometimes if you dont innovate, you die. Or, if you change too much, you kill the product, the company or whatever.. So, the perfect thing to do is to find some sort of balance. Myself, I strongly lean toward not changing much. The lesser, the better, but that me. One tiny change that whats done to Sandboxie since Invincea took over that I suggested to Curt and he applied it was creating the "Always on top" setting. I think ts a useful setting.

Sin título.png

About Opera. It seems it has been rough lately running Opera in SBIE, if thats the case, it would be even more so to run it sandboxed perfectly without any UI or Settings glitches (as you described in an earlier post) when it is installed in a sandbox. According to the post below by Curt, it appears things are better right this moment. I wanted to test Opera the other day when you posted about this issue but I wouldn't know how to compare what I see as I have no idea what settings or UI issues there are now and I dont know what they should be like when they are proper. Perhaps you can tell what I should look for and I ll test it to see if what I see is what you get.
    https://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25603#p133017

Bo

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I am running latest Opera in Sbie on Windows 10 and Win 7. What issue are you seeing Rasheed?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Stapp

I think he is talking about installing in the Sandbox. Personally I see no point in it and won't blame Curt if he ignores that. Never was actually designed to run that way

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Thanks will check it out.

I will install Opera in a clean sandbox, perhaps it's only an issue on my system. But basically, Opera 52 doesn't display sites correctly, like it's corrupted or something.

You're wrong about this. SBIE isn't designed to only sandbox apps that are installed on the real system, the whole point is that you can install apps inside the sandbox to check them out, without having to pollute the real system.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There are better ways to "check out" software. There are things you can't run sandboxed, and frankly if you install Opera in a sandbox you will probably find your on your own

6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

glad that all current issues have been resolved earlier or in time from invicea, no one to blame.
    i am pretty sure that some users always have to abuse sandboxie and set to high expectations in it.
    for those sandboxie never would be the right choice. my personal solution is shadow defender - if that fails a vm will help out.

but it make some effort to think about and some work to investigate and accomplish - too much for those people.
    sorry, this is no land of milk and honey...

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes correct, for extensive testing we can use VM's, but for quickly checking out apps you can't beat SBIE. I have numerous versions of Firefox, Chrome and Vivaldi running without any problems and they are all installed inside the sandbox. Opera also used to work, but sometimes things need to be fixed.

8. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am thinking about building a PC with Windows 10 64 bit as the OS. This will be my first experience with Windows 10. I have been using Windows 7 64 bit.

How is the compatibility of Sandboxie with Windows 10 64 bit? Any significant issues?

Thanks in Advance.

9. Brummelchen

10. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Nope, he's right asking in the context of W10.
    Programs are broken much more easily on W10 and its frequent CUs than any other Windows version.

11. bo elam

None.To avoid issues, its recommended to use W10 current version, not Insiders. I think as of now, the chances of an Windows update breaking Sandboxie are greater in older systems than in W10. Since July, it has happened once, and that took place in W7 and none in W10. The Sandboxie developers as far as I can tell are pretty much on top updating SBIE so its ready as new versions of W10 are released. I used 3 versions of W10 since I bought my W10 computer, Sandboxie has not had an issue with any of them.

My personal experience using Sandboxie in W10 has been a joy. When I purchased my W10 64 bits last July, I expected some problems would happen, I thought it would be normal that to happen, but none did. I use Sandboxie and programs in general in W10 identically to how I did in W7 and XP. Basically, programs that work well with SBIE in other systems work well also in W10, and the ones that are bad in older systems are also bad in W10. I use same programs in W10 as I do in W7 and did in XP. Read this, I am using and old program that I adopted during XP days in W10, the 32 bits installer is from 2008 and the program works perfect in my 64 bits W10 under Sandboxie. I use this program every day.

Bo

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@TheKid7
    You may already know this but just in case... you cannot run Edge browser sandboxied.

Other than that, as bo said everything else works in Sbie as well as it does in XP or Win 7.

13. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Can testify, no issues here - in spite of also running various other security softs.

14. bo elam

Also, as Edge, Universal apps are not compatible with Sandboxie.

Bo

15. Brummelchen

windows has not issue with sandboxie right now, all solved. as commented apps (or programs) have issues with sandboxie, either they are part of a windows 10 installation or not. so the question about win10 and sandboxie is not accurate enough (from my view its wrong).

for me i can say that sandboxie is perfoming well, but i can not use apps here (there are none except cortana and some few which were disabled, LTSB)

16. guest

guest Guest

No issue from Sandboxie with the OS itself, issues often occurs after some softs updates involving important code changes.

17. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

True but same applies for Windows updates as well:
    Sometimes windows updates code become part of the OS itself ergo SBIE has issues with Windows 10, sometimes and more likely than Windows 7 or 8.1.

18. bo elam

I think we can be very specific. Based on what is covered by the sticky threads at the top in the link below, Windows 10 64 bits has been the most stable system during the past year or so with regard to Sandboxie. I had W10 since July 8th last year, and have experienced no issue of any kind with SBIE ( I used three versions of W10). In fact, right this moment regarding Windows updates, I am more worried and confused by updates in W7 with the mess that's going on. Nothing like that affects W10.
    https://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=11

Also, by the time new versions of W10 are released, Sandboxie is already compatible. That has been the case and what happened last time with Fall Creators Update. Likely, soon well have a beta release addressing Spring update. For Fall Update, Sandboxie was ready even before support was officially announced. In the change log for Sandboxie 5.24, you can read, "Fixed crash in Windows 10 FR Build 17035 and added support for FR up to 17101". So, they are working ahead. Windows 10 is top priority for Sandboxie.
    https://www.sandboxie.com/VersionChanges#v_5.24

Bo

19. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Just wondering if anyone has noticed a lag in loading the first page once starting the browser. On my system (Win7/64) I noticed for the past few weeks a considerable lag in responsiveness when opening browsers with respect to loading the start page. Once this has happened browsing is more or less normal though I find some https pages slower than before. This happens for me on both FF and Chrome. I just did a test disabling sandboxie and the effect appeared to be gone. Unfortunately I can't specify when was the first time I noticed this and it could have been after an update to the OS, just wondering if I am the only one?

20. bo elam

Hi Beethoven. No lags with my browsers. Since you are experiencing lags with both browsers when they open, its likely the delay its been caused by your antivirus or another security program. Interference by another security program usually causes delays when opening programs sandboxed or deleting the sandbox.

I can give you many suggestions on what to try for Firefox but I think you should check and test disabling the AV/Other security programs, or features in this programs that might be conflicting.. What other security programs are you using along Sandboxie?

Bo

21. beethoven

Hi Bo, I am using NOD and Malwarebyte - will try to test this disabling these individually to see if I can isolate the program.

22. bo elam

My feeling is that since the lag affects both browsers, its likely the problem is not between Sandboxie and the browsers but another program that's in the mix. Try disabling or better yet, uninstall one program at a time. I would try Malwarebyte first.

Bo

23. beethoven

Won't have time today but will report back once I have done so - thank you.

24. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Agreed. Let's be very specific:
    Windows Version: Windows 10 x64 1803 Build 17133.1
    Sandboxie Version: 5.24 (64-bit)
    https://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=133092#p133092

Not very compatible I could say.
    No doubts but W10 is a "badass" though lol .

Sooo, for the time being some have bad experiences with W10 + SBIE.

25. bo elam

It is like I said, Sandboxie is up to date supporting whatever stable version of W10 is out and a bit ahead, that has been the pattern. By the time, 1803 becomes stable (a week or so from now), it will be supported. Officially, Sandboxie does not recommend to use Sandboxie in Fast ring. Thats the standard. Those people in that thread are using what is right this moment a non supported version.

Real world experience. When I started using W10, 9 months ago, I expected issues with Sandboxie. I thought I was going to dodge and workaround issues. To my surprise, there were none and there has been none.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.