Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    but can you drag and drop a program inside sandboxie?
    i can not do it :(

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You can drag and drop files in Sandboxie, I don't run files sandboxed that way but you can. Drag and drop the file in Sandboxie control>choose the sandbox>Click OK. If the program is not restricted from running in the sandbox that you choose, it will run sandboxed.

Bo

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Bo
    with w8.1 when i drag and drop a file inside the sandboxie windows doesn't happen nothing :(

4. bo elam

Hi Mantra, I just tested dragging and droppeing files in my W7 and its working properly. Last time I did that in my XP (using a much older SBIE version), it worked fine too.

Its probably a W8.1/SBIE issue. It should be easy for Invincea to reproduce the problem, I suggest you let them know about it at the SBIE forum.

For now, you can use the Sandboxie start menu or the right click option to run files sandboxed. For the Sandboxie start menu you can create a shortcut and place it at your desktop or taskbar.

Bo

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean, but when I drag a shortcut or app to SBIE's main window it just starts up? :)

I'm also using Win 8.1, btw.

However, I did notice someting else, it's not possible to drag and drop links inside Opera v12, when it's sandboxed.

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i mean i can drag and drop firefox.exe inside the sandboxie window , but firefox doesn't start
    i can drag and drop every files but they don't start

7. bo elam

Mantra, do you get one of this (Sandboxie start menu) when you drag and drop a file in Sandboxie control?

Bo

Attached Files:

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

no under w8.1 ,Bo ,yes under 7,vista and xp
    i will try to make clean install

9. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Just to note I'm not seeing this in Win 8.1 x64. I can drag any programme or shortcut into Sandboxie Control and it will prompt as to which sandbox I want launch it in, similar to what Bo posted, once selected the app opens fine.

Cheers

10. bo elam

Since Chris and Rasheed are not seeing the problem in W8.1, the clean install ought to take care of things for you. I recommend you install 4.09.01.

Bo

11. Rasheed187

Btw, I've noticed some things about v4.08, perhaps you can check it out. :)

1 StrokesPlus managed to take control of my mouse when sandboxed, I couldn't terminate the app, so I had to reboot my system.

2 When you copy an app out of the sandbox, for example to the desktop, Sandboxie keeps sandboxing it, like BufferZone used to do, am I correct?

12. bo elam

If I copy/cut a file out of the sandbox and paste it on my desktop, it doesn't run sandboxed automatically. It runs sandboxed only if its covered by Forced programs. It will run sandboxed also if you force your Desktop (Forced folders) but I don't do that.

Bo

13. Rasheed187

That's weird, I could have sworn that I saw this strange behavior, just as if SBIE is tracking sandboxed files that you copy to other folders.

But I can't reproduce it anymore. I do know that this was a standard feature in BufferZone Pro . ;)

14. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Did Tzur continue to be the developer of Sandboxie after it was acquired by Invincea?

15. bo elam

As I understand it, Invincea acquired Sandboxie in the early months of 2013. Tzuk worked with them until he left SBIE at the end of January.

Bo

16. Cutting_Edgetech

Wow...! I didn't even realize sandboxie had been acquired until today!! I wonder why they did not keep him as the lead developer. Maybe he did not want to stay. If they did not want to keep him then they made a huge mistake! I bet they are going to integrate it with another product. I had never heard of Invincea until now. That's definitely bad news here at Wilders. I wonder what Tzuk is doing now.

17. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Hopefully enjoying his family and other things in life which, during our working years, get much too little attention! :'(

Wendi

18. bo elam

19. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks for the link. I read a lot of it, but did not see him give any reason for leaving. I wish him the best of luck! He did a great job with Sandboxie, and it has a great following!

20. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Anyone else having trouble activating license? I reverted back to an earlier version. Now I am seemingly unable to reach their server for activation.

21. ad18

ad18 Registered Member

Just registered Sandboxie without any problems. Use the support email if you are having any problems.

22. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Ok...thanks for getting back. Strange...I have had this problem for a couple of days.

23. karad

karad Registered Member

My setup in this computer is Windows7 64-Linux Mint 16 dual boot.
    I run Sandboxie 4.07.05, AppGuard 4.0.17, ShadowDefender 1.3.457.

Reason for my post is that I was forced to go back to SBIE 4.07 from the latest 4.09.01 because the latter was causing delays either virtualised or not to the point of almost blocking all kind of browsers. Moreover, SBIE did not terminate progs or took an age to do it.

I uninstalled and picked up the latest SBIE available to me when TZU was still at Invincea,that is 4.07.05.

Now,after a week usage I think I can say I have no problems whatsoever like before I updated, even using all my security programs together is a breeze,the pc is as fast and ok as before, as it was ever before from 4.01 and with the great saga of v.3.

So, I hope for me,for Bo Elam (who I thank a lot),and for SBIE that what happened is only occasional,but I'm starting to be less optimistic....

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

To the users who predicted (and hoped?) that increased money and manpower resources associated with the takeover would mean a better overall product, I wonder what your assessment is at this time?

My observation has been that the new ownership group isn't even matching the work load that tzuk once handled. Fixes (betas) aren't getting released in anywhere near the frequency that happened with tzuk, and the forum, now that it has multiple Invincea employees responding, isn't doing anything any better than tzuk did. The questions and requests for help that I have posted there have taken a very long time to even get acknowledged, let alone fixed.

I give 'em a 4 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being excellent. Put it another way, to date, Sandboxie has not improved with new ownership.

25. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Hoped for the best, feared the worst. It's likely somewhere in between after a year of Invincea stewardship.

I anticipate it being a little like AppGuard, i.e. worked on in spurts when their enterprise product development is quiet. It was Tzuk's only project, he drove it with zeal because it was his creative statement, his craft , a reflection on and of him personally. These guys will treat it like any other product.

Maybe that's the price of long term availability of the product. Then again maybe it will leave it stagnant and irrelevant as the needed and constant compatibility tweaks that were a hallmark of Tzuk's work drop away.

Still too early to say I think. Still hoping for the best because as yet there simply is nothing like it.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.