Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Only someone who cant see the forest because of the trees would see what you found as proof of weakness in Sandboxie, when in reality, having to go all the way back to 2008 to find something that broke the sandbox is actual proof of how strong Sandboxie is. Any security product, including AppGuard, would love that kind of record. I could not have done it better. Thank you :cool:.

Bo

2. guest

guest Guest

You are welcome. :p
    as you said breaking any sandbox apps from inside isn't easy job, however breaking the sandbox app from outside is also a valid attack, because not all the OS run isolated and we all know that there is many vector attacks.

3. bo elam

The slogan refers to programs running untrusted, which is what takes place when you run your browsers, PDF reader, Office programs, etc, sandboxred. I get it, you are trying to poke fun at Sandboxie, you boys from MT had a lot of fun this past few days banging on SBIE, keep it up. But about the slogan? Make all the fun you want about it, but it works.

Bo

4. bo elam

I was gonna get to that, guest. From Sandboxies point of view that's not so. For Sandboxie to work, the system has to be clean to begin with. There are no if ands or buts on that. If your system is infected, Sandboxie cant do nothing for you. And its not supposed to either or claims to do so.

Bo

5. illumination

illumination Guest

Typical response from you BO, and yes I remember you from MT from some years ago.

It has been stated already this was not recent, but in the past these things occurred, the other fanboy wanted it placed directly on his dinner plate in front of him, so I dug one up.

What this proves above is that NO software is perfect, and that bugs exist and are/can be exploitable, including the OS it runs on.

Now the developer of sandboxie, I have respect for. This particular problem was brought to him, he did not become defensive or lash out at anyone, and gracefully resolved the problem, even after a user stated that this issue proves nothing is 100% and users should focus on regular backups.

I fully expected the response of this is old, even after that had been established before I posted, this is OK, if one reader walks out of this thread realizing nothing is bullet proof, then it will be a good thing.

6. guest

guest Guest

indeed Bo, problem is that normal sandbox users (unlike you, me or some others) have a high tendencies to recover the sandboxed files, then run it non-isolated because they don't know how to pinpoint any malicious behavior while it was in the sandbox.

I saw many use a sandbox , run a file in the sandbox and then because nothing happened inside , assumed the file was safe then ran it outside.

i remember before someone created an AV or BB (forgot exactly the concept) acting as a sandboxie "plugin" (if i can say that ) to verify any isolated file , it was called like "buster" something.
    This should be available again, will help many

7. bo elam

Hi AD, I feel the same way as guest and Mr X. To me, you are OK.

Bo

8. bo elam

guest, thats a user problem, not a Sandboxie problem. Sandboxie should not be used to tell if a sandboxed program is clean or not. Sandboxies role is not playing god.

Bo

9. bo elam

I remember you. Your posts, here at Wilders, the ones that have nothing to do with SBIE are soaked with prepotence. I read a couple today. Please, lets stay away from each other. And thanks again.

Bo

10. illumination

illumination Guest

I'm OK with that, I'm only seeking to discuss security with level headed, open minds, that still have at least one foot in reality.

11. guest

guest Guest

i know i just say this in general, not focusing on particular apps. Just to say a soft vulnerability should be fixed wherever the vulnerability is coming from and whatever it does. Sandboxie fixed it quite quickly, that is good enough to me. ;)

12. bo elam

They fixed it in May. And said they "believe this vulnerability is not serious and unlikely to be exploited. This exploit cannot be run within an isolated environment, and cannot be exploited without already being outside of the protection of the isolated environment."

To me, that's as clear as it can be.

Bo

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  13. guest

guest Guest

yes it was a PoC , and we all know that PoC rarely spread.

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Guys this debate is getting a bit silly to me.

To me the past has only one bearing. How did a developer respond to a problem. All software at times develop problems. Only issue looking back was it fixed.

What I do is test my setup against real malware. That is the test. Currently I haven't gotten anything past SBIE, Appguard, ERP, or Voodooshield. If a problem is found and fixed that is all that matters. All this debate is noise. Frankly as much as I like Tzuk, any thing he said one way or another is history, but not relevant today. What is relevant today is the current version or beta. And to that end I would say as long as you run something in Sandboxie you are good to go.

15. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Agreed. Do you know what happens when a mod "hears" too much noise? He shuts down the source of noise. Not let this happen to this thread. Follow common sense and stick to the current beta... Just as the mod with the walking dog says. :ninja:

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes I agree.

Good to know it wasn't that serious.

The funny thing is, I was the only one who gave you an actual answer. If a browser's sandbox gets bypassed, that doesn't always mean that SBIE will be bypassed also, that's the only thing that matters. :thumb:

17. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

I'm amazed that at WildersSecurity we need to argue about how seriously good, how profoundly exceptional Sandboxie is.
    While some smart people are pointing to some examples of "weak" Sandboxie, I can tell from my personal experience that only Sandboxie was able to protect me against all that malware/ramsomware/etc... nastiness, while all those highly advertised AV's, programs, apps, etc... failed.

Oh yes, I understand that you can have a computer setup so strict, so protective, so impenetrable without Sandboxie, but I doubt that I would be able to enjoy the speed, flexibility, usefulness, benefits, etc... of the Internet.

Anyway.
    Long live Sandboxie.
    What a perfect idea!

P.S. I've posted this comment not(!) for discussion. It's my deeply-rooted belief and knowledge from long-term experience; therefore, please, don't start marketing some app or arguing.

18. guest

guest Guest

That was not the point of the debate. All participant knew already it is a solid soft. :)

19. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

That's my main point!

Thank you.

20. HAN

HAN Registered Member

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes here on Win 7 x64

22. bo elam

I usually wait for a few days before updating Firefox, but I tested 55 yesterday installing it in a sandbox and all seemed well. I only had it for a few minutes, but I tested playing videos in YouTube and made sure my addons were working. All was well.

Bo

23. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

Netflix still won't stream in FF 55 and SB. I hope they get this fixed.

24. bo elam

Hi Ivo, they know about the problem. Fixing it is probably not a priority. Greetings.

Bo

25. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Let's say I sandbox MS Word, but for convenience's sake, I give it direct access to my personal files.
    Do my personal files have some protection, or no protection? I understand the Word application itself can do as it wants with my personal files. My question is what happens if Word is exploited: some protection, or no protection?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.