Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Wilders pics sandbox 2.png
    > how can I (find) delete eyck6rf.exe.part in d:\sandbox
    > eyck6rf.exe.part seems to be calling amazonaws
    -------------------------------------
    more pics
    sandbox firefox appdata 4.png
    after restart
    sandbox firefox appdata after restart.png

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi bjm, that file (eyck6rf.exe.part), doesn't belong to Sandboxie or Firefox. I cant find it in my computer and a Google search dont bring any results. To delete it from inside the sandbox, navigate to D>Sandbox and follow the path.

Bo

3. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

AppData Local Temp folder is empty.png

4. bo elam

5. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yeah, it's a curious concern.
    Edit: I think amazonaws is related to Webroot, like akamai is related to Norton. CDN
    Curious concern is what amazonaws IP's have to do with d:\sandbox & eyck6rf.exe.part.
    eyck6rf.exe.part in d:\sandbox\ item, did not allow > Remove this entry.

Clean install Webroot sorted eyck6rf.exe.part in d:\sandbox\ item.
    Maybe, eyck6rf.exe.part was corrupt WRData.

6. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

7. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

WebrootSA

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

BTW, I had a bit of a weird problem. From out of nowhere, Firefox constantly started using 25% of the CPU, without any browsing activity or opened websites. I cleaned the files in the sandbox, and this behavior stopped. Has anyone ever seen this behavior?

9. bo elam

When you first open Firefox, there is some activity going on for a few seconds (Safe browsing updates automatically). In my case, this activity might even take a second or two longer than in your computer due to myself not enabling the sandbox setting that allows this updates to be saved out of the sandbox.

Bo

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK, so I'm guessing nobody has ever seen this weird behavior. Like I said, FF will constantly use 25% of the CPU on my system, until I clean all files. This behavior often starts after I have cleared recent history, but this time it started out of the blue. BTW, when I use CCleaner to clean the FF sandbox there is no problem. So seems to be a "freak bug" on my system.

11. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Um, do you use Firefox Sync.?

12. bo elam

If Firefox constantly uses 25% of the CPU even when doing nothing, I would check the addons, plugins (specially the ones from security programs) and rest of security programs you are using. If the high CPU only occurs when running sandboxed, it can mean you are using something that's conflicting with SBIE. I would try a new Firefox profile and disable or uninstall (Better) security related plugins. Also, if multi-process is enabled, I would test disabling it.

Bo

13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

> another question re SandboxieBITS.
    I downloaded KeePass 1.32 Installer as test (reported Webroot block) in Firefox (daily use) and Chrome (seldom use).
    Webroot quarantined dl from Firefox sandbox. Drop Rights checked. All good.
    Webroot quarantined dl from Chrome sandbox. Drop Rights not checked. All good.
    ERP in LockdownMode threw Blocked C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\SandboxieBITS.exe
    Sandboxie Holdings, LLC 4ACA16BAD0A42AC5B7AEBE68B19E5677
    Um, is SandboxieBITS.exe something I need to ERP WhiteList.

Edit: added 3 missing Sandboxie exe to EXE Radar Pro WhiteList.
    Forgot to add after EXE Radar Pro, Reset to default.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't know whether this has already been asked, would Sandboxie with restrictions be enough to stop any ransomware? I've tried an anti-executable but it ended up freezing one of my machines. Like many users even if I got infected, restoring an image would solve the problem, but for the sake of argument, theoretically SB should be able to contain a ransomware attack, shouldn't it?

15. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes it should contain it, if malware is run inside sandbox and you don't enable direct access to your personal files.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  16. bo elam

If I was using NVT, I would allow SandboxieBITS.exe.

Side note. Sorry, I refuse using the acronym ERP for a nice program like NVT. It brings bad memories.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Revolutionary_Army_(Argentina)

Bo

17. bo elam

If the ransomware has to run an exe to infect, the start run restriction would block it from running. And Sandboxie would issue a message telling you about it.

Bo

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks Bo, I'm aware this is what theoretically should happen. As you know SB is most of the time ignored when tests are carried out by malware tests organizations, presumably because its configuration can be so eclectic and therefore results can be difficult to be judged in a standardized situation. However I was wondering whether anybody has put SB through a set of ransomware threats and see what actually happens...

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Of course this goes without saying, but do you know of any tests, even video tests by individuals who might have confirmed this is actually what happens?

20. Duotone

Duotone Registered Member

@Osaban
    There,s a video that was made by Invincea
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMtyGNviiRY, on another matter a video made by CS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4FokfBeCo this one involves RATS.

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Osaban

I just tested for you in VM machine. I ran 3 pieces of live ransomware including Goldeneye which is a petya class nasty. It goes after the MBR

Tested two ways, one in my firefox sandbox which allows Internet access but restricts only Firefox to run, the other a default box, that allows everything to run but no internet access.

With all 3 pieces of Ransomware, they failed to even run in the firefox sandbox

In the default sandbox the two that attacked files had at the files and encrypted them but they were in the sandbox and once the running attack was stopped and the sandbox just deleted everything and system was fine.

Goldeneye presented no way to stop it. So I killed power to the VM. It actually rebooted and the system was fine. Deleted the sandbox and it was gone. With having run it in sbie, the reboot would have presented their ransom note.

So there you have it. Sandboxie works!!!!!

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks Peter, coming from you, it is certainly hard evidence that it really works, and I don't have to add anything to my system, great news...

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks Duotone, I will certainly take the time to watch these videos as soon as I can...

24. bo elam

I kind of think the best test is our own usage of a security program. What are the results of using a program for me. Am I getting infected or not since I started using this or that program? For me personally there is a clear cut line, there's a before SBIE, that was a time when I got infected once or twice a year every year. This cycle of getting infected came to an end the day in early 2009 when I became a Sandboxie user. There is no gray line here. Osaban, thats the test I trust best. :)

Bo

25. bo elam

About the restrictions, I see them as extra hurdles for the malware. The more we make use of them, the harder for the malware to run, to install or get out of the sandbox. To this day, they havent fail me once in real time usage of SBIE. They truly work real world.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.