Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I think its a good idea that in the beginning (a few weeks), you let all programs run in the Downloads sandbox but as you get used to it and learn which are the programs that you regularly run out of the Downloads folder, then you start restricting so only this programs can run. In my case, I allow my PDF reader, my Office program, video player, 7Zip. And that's it. If I download something that's not covered by that list (for example, a text file or a picture), I usually right click the file and choose to run it in another sandbox where all programs are allowed to run. Comfortable and safe.

Bo

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

To Webroot users,
    Any ideas how to get Firefox to open sandboxed with WSA Application Protection - firefox.exe - Protect.
    I can open Firefox sandboxed with WSA Application Protection - firefox.exe - Allow.

3. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Never ever had any problems opening any browser protected in Sandboxie. I think you need to look at your Sandboxie settings.

Attached Files:

4. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yeah, Internet Explorer & Chrome opens okay with Protect.
    I can open Firefox with Allow. Then, change over to Protect and see Padlock.
    I observe the same Firefox issue with new default sandbox.
    I observe the same Firefox issue with Firefox extensions Disabled.
    Thanks for letting me know, Firefox issue is just me.
    I'll play around some more.
    Maybe, Webroot users will chime in.
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  5. Azazal

Azazal Registered Member

I have the same problem. Sometimes the browser opens normally and sometimes did not open. I use Firefox 64 bit

6. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hello Azazal,
    Yes, just this morning after leaving machine on all night. Firefox opened normally to my home page.
    Then second attempt calling Firefox, stalled.
    And subsequent attempts, stalled.
    Firefox 64bit.
    And is your work-around the same as mine. Move Protect to Allow. Then after Firefox starts. Move Allow to Protect.
    I'm only recently back to Webroot. So, I was thinking... maybe, I'm doing xyz wrong.
    Thanks+ for your interest.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  7. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

@bjm_ Just a possible clue, I use Firefox 32 bit browser, not the 64 bit you are using. Perhaps that is the cause of the problem - probably worth investigating.

8. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hello Azazal & Dark Star 72,

Webroot support tested 5.16 + 50.1.0 x64 and saw no issue.
    Webroot offered maybe, Profile issue.
    Reproducible good Firefox start after machine Restart.
    Then subsequent Firefox calls have stall.
    And my work-around works every time.
    Just a head scratch.

Thanks for your help and interest.
    Edit: #3265

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  9. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Hi...I think about using of free Sbie on my XP - where can I find some info and learn about limitation of free version?

10. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

11. bo elam

The basic difference between versions is that the paid version makes sandboxing files and programs automatic. You dont have to think about it when you want to sandbox something. You click on a file or the icon of a Forced program (you can read about Forced programs in the link provided by deugniet), and it runs sandboxed.

In the meantime, with the free version, you can think of sandboxing as being a manual process. You think about sandboxing a file, program, USB drive, download folder, etc, and its done with same security as with the paid version, but its not done automatically. You have to right click the file or icon, and select Run sandboxed.

There are features that come in Sandboxie that can bring your free version closer to the paid version. This features are creating and using sandboxed shortcuts for some of your programs. You can do this also for folders like the downloads folder, Windows explorer, etc. For example, if you create a sandboxed shortcut for Windows explorer, when you click the shortcut, a sandboxed version of windows explorer pops up open, you can use it for navigating to any file in your computer, or folders or drives like your USB drive.

Bo

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  12. Special

Special Registered Member

Is there a way make any files in a certain folder to have blocked internet access, BUT anything outside of that folder to have access? They will be sharing the same Sandbox.

13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

@Dark Star 72
    Just realized I was overlooking. Application Protection renders firefox.exe path as appdata\local\temp and Add Application renders same appdata\local\temp path.

Edit 1: Corrected Firefox path. But, no joy regarding starting Firefox64bit with Protect.
    Edit 2: #3267

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  14. bo elam

You can not. I suggest you create separate sandboxes, use one for running files without internet access. And use another one where files run with internet access. You can create and use separate sandboxes with the free version, you just cant use more than one at a time.

Bo

15. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Firefox32bit works okay.
    I'm thinking since first Firefox64bit sandbox call after machine restart always worked.
    And every subsequent Firefox64bit sandbox call never worked.
    My setup feels a glitch related to how Firefox64bit releases memory & Sandboxie.
    Outside sandbox, Firefox64bit & Webroot always worked.
    I tried the usual e.g., new default Firefox profile, new default sandbox, clean Firefox/Webroot/Sandboxie installs, Firefox SafeMode, Firefox Refresh, etc.
    Firefox bitness was worth investigating.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  16. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Thanks Bo...your explanation is very useful. I have to try how it works in praxis.
    :thumb:

17. bo elam

You are welcome, ichito, I am glad to help.

Bo

18. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Q: What's 'bits'...?

19. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

BITS is Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Disable "Drop rights..." setting for Chrome and you won't get this error.

20. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Chrome 'bits' is the same as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_Intelligent_Transfer_Service.
    Request was issued by program SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe is..?.. related to Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
    And Hide will not satisfy 'bits'...?

BITS = over-my-pay-grade..?

21. Minimalist

An option to Drop rights won't give you additional protection for Chrome on Windows 7 and later. That's why I suggest you to disable it and get rid of this errors.

22. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  23. bo elam

Thats SandboxieBITS.exe, a Sandboxie service program. Read here about it and to see what it does for Chrome and why its attempting to run.
    https://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ServicePrograms#bits

In some computers when running Chrome sandboxed, the message "SBIE2214 Request to start service 'bits' was denied due to dropped rights" gets issued. The one way to get rid of it is by disabling Drop rights.

Bo

24. Minimalist

I have it set same way and it's running on my system. I've got similar errors when I enabled Drop rights option for Chrome. After disabling it, errors were gone.You don't need that option if you don't use Windows XP.

Edit: OK, I see that Bo explained it.

25. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hmm, SandboxieBITS.exe
    Who knew. Bo & Minimalist knew.
    IIRC, first time feeling BITS.
    Google Update Service > not running, Manual.
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.