Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infected

Infected Registered Member

Yep, I down voted the video right when the music started..

2. guest

guest Guest

The thing is the code the guy wrote (i dont care the music), unfortunately im not a vbs coder, so i have no idea of what the code does. if someone knows feel free to comment.

3. guest

guest Guest

It gets a list of all processes, and if it can find "SandboxieRpcSs" it displays a message: "This program can't be run inside a Sandbox". Then it quits.
    This is only a basic check to find a specific process, nothing special.

4. co22

co22 Registered Member

5. arran

arran Registered Member

yes thank you this is the logical reply I was wanting, sorry about the music guys.

6. topper10

topper10 Registered Member

I was given an Amazon Fire 7" tablet recently. Can Sandboxie be used with this device? I use Sandboxie with my laptop and pc and I consider it an "indispensable" when it comes to protection.

Thank you

7. guest

guest Guest

thx @mood , so basically it is just sandbox detection line, not a bypass, just the thing most malware does now.

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Sandboxie works in Windows. I am not familiar with tablets, after googling for Amazon Fire 7" tablet, I dont beleve it comes with windows. If thats the case, then you wont be able to use SBIE.

Bo

9. bo elam

The video was named, "Anti Sandboxie/detect Sandboxie". The name itself tells that the intention of the poster of the video was to show that Sandboxie doesn't hide itself and that programs that run in the sandbox can detect they are running sandboxed. If this was not so, Sandboxie could be used for cheating. SBIE could be flagged as a cheating tool, that wouldn't be nice.

Bo

10. login123

login123 Registered Member

Sandboxie automatic activation mechanism isn't working here. Haven't tried offline method yet. Anyone else have it working?

11. bo elam

I upgraded to 5.15.5 on the 18th, all went well regarding automatic reactivation. Perhaps there was a problem yesterday with the Sandboxie server that handles license activation.

Bo

12. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I updated to 5.14 last week and reactivation worked. Do you have FW with outbound monitoring enabled? If yes, you should let License.exe through.

13. login123

Hi, thanks for the suggestions.
    This failure was yesterday. Warning popped to reactivate, went through the steps, got the picture shown.
    This was on win xp, SBIE version 3.62, yes it's old but has always worked before. Have not tried to reactivate on newer machines yet.
    Have not tried offline activation yet, but one user over at the SBIE forums says that failed also.
    The firewall isn't preventing the connection. From the picture, apparently Sandboxie gets as far as the server, right?

Thanks again, if I haven't make some rookie mistake I guess it's wait & see for a bit, eh?

glitch_activation_1.jpg

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Exactly!

15. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

its broken on my laptop also after I updated it, login123 for me offline activation did work, however I dont see the point of adding checkpoints that require reactivation.

16. login123

The admins over at the Sandboxie Forum say the problem is fixed.
    And, the online update worked when I tried it again.

17. bo elam

This problem has been fixed since yesterday. Reactivating the license doesn't bother me as I know the system was put in place by Tzuk to protect Sandboxie. And I trusted him as I trust Invincea now.
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23680&p=124632#p124632

Bo

18. Latest Firefox javascript exploit shows Sandboxie is vital for browsers with no sandbox of their own.

19. bo elam

20. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I have a restricted sandbox for Tor this way:
    Code:
    ProcessGroup=<StartRunAccess>,firefox.exe,tor.exe,dllhost.exe,WerFault.exe
    ProcessGroup=<InternetAccess>,firefox.exe,tor.exe,dllhost.exe
    Do you think this is enough for that 0day?

21. @Mister X It is a javascript exploit, so it is executed in the browser (so SBIE configuration does not really mattter). It is a bug exploited in the browser and SBIE will block the calls this exploit makes to kernel32.dll. Maybe the sandbox filter/redirect/block mechanism was not tested at all, because FF ran with untrusted integrity level (rights) and the exploit did not overcome these UNTRUSTED-IL restrictions in the first place.

Compare it with parkour/street runner which manages to jump from street level (medium IL) to first floor (kernel access). This is certainly a feat. However with SBIE the street runner would not start at street level but a level lower, from the basement -1 level (untrusted IL) and had to break through a cloaked sandbox ceiling making it impossible to reach first floor from the basement without additional stepstones.

No need to worry IMO. Does FF already has a hotfix released?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2016
  22. guest

guest Guest

Should be fixed now.

23. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thank you :thumb:

24. guest

guest Guest

good analogy , i will use this next time i have to explain ILs ^^

25. bo elam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.