Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

I was on 5.11.8 when I noticed the Event message (spent a day on tracking down solutions to warnings and errors... down to 1 message, which is the one I am referencing at the moment). I usually upgrade from existing installation. This time, I uninstalled .8, ran CCleaner, followed by removing left-over registry entries (1 empty legacy folder). The warning is still there after a clean install of latest beta.

The Event ID 1530 warning pops up with 2 entries; one for SbieSvc.exe and one for WinLogon.exe, which is tempting me to think it might be related to my use of a SUA. If memory serves me correctly, I think you run your Windows OS on an Admin account? The 2010 Sandboxie Forum thread refers to a user who runs a SUA as well. I am sort of inclined to think this might be a SUA-related warning.

Can someone who uses SBIE in a SUA check for Event ID 1530 in Event Viewer? (sorry Bo if I misread your method of Windows use, just in case you do make use of SUA). Thanks for your help dude.

EDIT:
    I am thinking it is Admin vs SUA related. The more I read on MS social/technet/answers pages, the more I see "this should be classed as a notice, not a warning". Oh well, no damage done!

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  2. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

I have a ton of "Event ID 1530", but the warnings (or notices) are all mainly for Avast - I didn't see any for SBIE

3. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I installed the free version of sbie on a test PC, and i'm having some problems...I open chrome in a sandboxed browser via shortcut created by sbie, then after a few minutes or a long session I close it, then open it again and then it hangs. I try to terminate chrome and nothing happens and then my whole system is locked up and I can't shut down normally so I am forced to shut down via power button. I have tried the latest stable version and the latest beta and the same thing happens. :? I did get a initialization error once also. WIN 7 HOME x86

4. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

Try 'auto delete contents'. Also, I had to use the 'no sandbox' flag for chrome to work in Sbie-free, but it works fine 'auto-forced' with registered version

5. Overkill

I've never had issues with the registered version, this is my first time "playing" with the free version. what is the 'no sandbox' flag? I already have it set to auto delete.

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Overkill, Chrome should be running well under Sandboxie. I am not a Chrome user but this past week I tested Chrome, installed it in my system in Shadow mode, and ran perfectly well under SBIE, no issues or messages of any kind. My system is same as yours, W7 32 bits.
    The no sandbox flag is a Chrome setting you can use to disable the sandbox in Chrome. Chrome as it comes by default is designed to work under Sandboxie. You do not need to disable the Chrome sandbox to run Chrome under Sandboxie. Doing it is a bad idea.

What to do? Look for a conflict. Perhaps an extension you installed or another security program is interfering. Thats usually the case. You can also reinstall Sandboxie and Chrome. Or use a new default settings sandbox. Dont mix running Chrome in the same sandbox where you run other browsers and programs.

One of the fixes and improvements in 5.11.9 is that Chrome 52 now works in Sandboxie. And like I told you, last week when I tested Chrome, it ran great, beautiful, if I liked Chrome, I would be very happy right now. Also, a couple of days ago someone here at Wilders posted a thread about the Avira browser, it is Chromium based, just for fun, I installed it in a sandbox, and again, ran well with no messages or problems.

Bo

7. bo elam

Yes, I run my computers as Administrator but is likely at least about half of Sandboxie users run their computers as SUA, I doubt that has anything to do. Otherwise, we would see many reports of 1530 at the SBIE forum. And their is only one thread that mentions this particular Event warning in all the years since 2004.

Bo

8. Overkill

Thanks Bo. I have never had any issues before... I may register sandboxie to see if it has something to do with the free version which sounds strange I know, but like I said sbie has never gave me issues but it's always been registered when I used it so we shall see.

9. bo elam

Paid or free, it doesn't matter, you ll still have the issue unless you get rid of the conflict. Earlier today you said you got an initialization message (probably SBIE 2335), that's a message we get when another program is conflicting with SBIE. The message displays the name of a process, that might give a clue where the conflict is coming from. It might be a program or part of a program (like an addon that comes with a program).

Bo

10. Overkill

Thanks Bo. If the message happens again i'll screenshot it.

11. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

Bo - this is not necessarily the case. I need to use the "no sandbox" flag for chrome using "start.exe", which is how it is launched in Sbie-free, otherwise it crashes and takes down the whole system as @Overkill experienced. But if chrome is 'forced' then it works fine with it's sandbox enabled - this is on the same PC.

I have seen others on the Sbie forum posting that they also need to use the 'no sandbox' flag to get chrome to work. I don't see the big deal with doing this - i think you would just loose tab isolation - Sbie covers the rest

12. Overkill

@Sandboxie Support Why does the free version have this problem and the registered version doesn't?

The reason I am using the free version is because #1 I have never messed with it before since I have always had a license for sbie, and #2 I was experimenting with settings to get them fresh in my brain incase I ever want to install it on friends/clients computers that can't afford a license. I cannot recommend the free version currently if sbie is going to misbehave when used with chrome.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  13. Overkill

exactly my issue

14. meatouph

meatouph Guest

SBIE Team never replied if they talked to Google/chromium devs to allow starting Chrome without the build-in sandbox with avoiding the yellow toolbar if SBIE is detected.
    Would not be it easier to fix it in Chrome instead of reverting the wheel and fight with issues with every single new Chrome release?

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There also is another solution: Don't use chrome

16. bo elam

rm22/Overkill, I installed Chrome again and created a sandboxed shortcut with the path below.

"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:All "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programas\Google Chrome.lnk"

rm22, I cant reproduce your issue using the sandboxed shortcut to run Chrome. The browser doesnt freeze, crash, all seems well. Maybe someone else can recreate the issue that you described but I cant. W7 32 bits.

Bo

17. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

the difference is how the Apps are launched in the sandbox - with the free version your only option is to use 'Start.exe', but when the App is forced it is launched differently - if i remember right 'Start.exe' is not used at all. 'Start.exe' seems to cause more issues then the executable used when forcing an App - i'd assume this is the case regardless if SBIE is registered or not.

18. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

exactly - I don't have any Sbie issues with Firefox which i use as my main browser. But, some websites don't like FF so Chrome gets used for backup.

19. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

I'm on Win7 64-bit & have had this issue for the last year or so. Prior to that I was able to launch Chrome using 'Start.exe' and sandbox enabled, but it was still far less stable then with it disabled

Bo - this issue is not consistent - it can change with Chrome/Sbie versions - and even on the same versions it can work sometimes and not the next. I think you'd have to use Chrome for a prolonged period to assess.

20. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

the suspicous extension by the way is betterprivacy (flash cookie blocker) as that one isnt on my laptop, right now cyberfox is sandboxed on my desktop with that disabled. But its only been running a few hours so need more uptime to see if its fixed.

21. bo elam

Thats one thing I never done. I have never had Chrome installed in my computer for more than a few minutes, an hour the most. And never in my real system. When I test Chrome, I install it in a sandbox or under Shadow defender, and then run it sandboxed as its usually done. Another thing I can tell you is that never in all the times I tested Chrome, I have been able to reproduce an issue with SBIE that someone reports. This leads me to believe that most issues between Chrome and SBIE, also involves another security program or addon. Why? that is so because I dont have any other security program being involved in the mix, and when I test chrome, I test it as it installs by default. :)

Bo

22. Sandboxie Support

Sandboxie Support Registered Member

"Free" version and the paid version are the exact same program and same code. When you download sandboxie from sandboxie.com, that's paid/shareware version... only difference is combined installer, 32 or 64 bit. The paid version isn't a version at all, you just purchased a 29 digit activation code that is simply a key that enables features that is already present..such as multiple active SB, C2R support, no nag screen, etc. But it's the same. I've never heard of SBIE "locking up" a system.

23. Sandboxie Support

? We don't work/talk with Google/Chromium Dev. And the few times we have to, it's just like anyone else. A ticketing queue. The tool bar is a gui. FF doesn't show it either. It's the way they code the browser and how SBIE enables that GUI. The border is just a reference and not a be all end all determination if a window is in fact sandboxed. There is a tool in SBIE Control that can tell you, and you can also check SBIE control for the line reference.

24. Sandboxie Support

Hence why we only support "core" browser code. We will look at a very, very limited number of add-on/extensions [LastPass for example] but generally, the testing - automated and otherwise, is done with just the browser. Nothing else, as that's frequently 95% of the issues we see with browsers, SBIE and program weirdness.

25. bo elam

Hi chrcol, I guess now you know why is a good idea to test using a new profile when you have browser issues, sandboxed or unsandboxed :). For a really good test, I think you should uninstall the extension. And if you are convinced that's where your issue comes from, I suggest you leave it out instead of trying to make it work in the sandboxed environment.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.