Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Strange. For me Sandboxie does add lag to all my programs. I know I don't use neither a SSD nor a gamer grade PC but many others here either do. I must admit though, that lag is not an inconvenience for me by any means.

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Mr X, my computers are simple. My Xp was a late XP so its powerful compared to other XP but compared to the computers that are coming out now, its not. And my W7, is really simple. Some of you guys would think you are using a nothing computer if you were using it. The reason why nothing that I use lags in my computers and it does lag for you guys using computers with 4 to 8 times more RAM than me is simple, you need to check the rest of security programs that you are using along SBIE. When they do their thing in the sandbox, that adds lag (specially so if they conflict with SBIE).

Bo

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Well, maybe... :D

4. bo elam

I should add something though, I don't play games of any kind in the computers and probably the one thing that I do that uses a lot of resources is streaming live sports games in the PC. I do that all the time, and when I do that, baseball football games can last 3 or 4 hours. Memory is never a problem. CPU usage goes high but that would be "exactly" the same even without using SBIE.

Bo

5. meatouph

meatouph Guest

I have a question according to printing to file using Microsoft print to file printer. According to this: http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?VersionChanges#v_4_18
    I use Win10 x64, SBIE 5.09.1 beta. I double clicked on the error and I was able to print the gmail e-mail to pdf. I haven't noticed any change in GUI config and Sandboxie.ini. So does the double click work alllow printing only once (for next printing try), once per session or how?

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Bo, thanks for your detailed answer. I can see, to use a political trope, that you are the standard bearer of Sandboxie. Your use of this software is systematic therefore any new version is bound to have some very subtle consequences in terms of behaviour on your systems. I only sandbox Chrome most of the time, and if I need to increase my level of security system wide I will launch Shadow Defender. This is probably the reason I always find no differences with each version (will keep my fingers crossed!). It's great to have you on this forum...

7. bo elam

Thats very true. I like to point out that what I described yesterday, only applies in my XP. In my W7, using beta 5.07.8 , stable 5.08 or the latest beta, 5.09.1, all feels exactly the same. I cant tell any difference in that PC using any of this versions.

I am more convinced now that 5.09.1 is a very nice version than I was yesterday when I wrote that long post. Last night, I spend some heavy time using Flash, for many hours, and all was great. I didn't experience any kind of plugin container issue, and I expected something to happen, and nothing did.

Bo

8. bo elam

Hi Dun, my computers are not W10. And I dont use my W7 for printing. I do all my printing in my XP. I personally have never seen any Sandboxie message when printing something. But I believe when you click on SBIE message 1320, you are allowing "the print spooler to write files outside the sandbox for that particular process" during the session. I think this is something that should be easy for you to check. Print and then try to print again. You don't get another prompt, you have the answer.

Bo

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Same for me on Win 7x64. I think it's also true on Win 10 FR builds.

10. meatouph

meatouph Guest

Yes, it seems to allow printing to file for one session. 1st attempt fails and shows the error (it's OK), next tries works. Thanks

11. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

If you don't mind the possible risk you could try putting this entry in the global settings section of the sandboxie.ini file: AllowSpoolerPrintToFile=y

12. meatouph

meatouph Guest

I have AllowSpoolerPrintToFile=n in global settings section ;)

13. bo elam

14. bo elam

RC 5.10 has been released, the official release probably be posted on Monday.
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22545&p=118712#p118570

Bo

15. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

...tried to launch W10 Media Creation Tool in new default sandbox w/wo Run As.....no joy.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Got it. 5.10 (64-bit) running on two 7x64 machines with no problems. TY, Bo!

17. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

Is there any way to change the Google Chrome Icon that appears once you click on the Sandboxed Browser Icon. Below in the first pic, you can see that I am able to change the sandboxie icon if I wish however, when I right click on the Chrome icon that shows once the browser loads, the option to change that Icon is not available.

If chrome is pinned in the task bar and you right click, you are able to change the icon similar to the sandboxie icon, so I was just curious if it was possible

Attached Files:

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If I use 'Restrictions/Drop rights from Administrators and Power Users groups' I get the following messages:

SBIE2214 Request to start service 'bits' was denied due to dropped rights
    SBIE2219 Request was issued by program SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe [DefaultBox]
    SBIE2220 To permit use of Administrator privileges, please double-click on this message line

Is it important? If I ignore it without doing anything nothing seems to happen anyway. What is this 'service bits'?

Thanks for any clarifications...

19. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I can't give you a technical explanation behind those requests, but I have hidden those for months and see no adverse effects whatsoever.

20. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Yeah well maybe because that's not the kind of program that's supposed to be used inside a highly restricted container. :blink:

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks, I have also noticed that by ignoring it there are no apparent changes. The message line " SBIE2219 Request was issued by program SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe [DefaultBox]" Being SBIE requesting admin status is a bit strange though...

22. bo elam

Osaban, you are using Chrome when you get those messages, the reason you get the BITS message and the request for Admin rights is probably because Chrome is downloading files into the sandbox and is trying to update something. Hiding this messages is fine.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ServicePrograms#bits

Bo

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks Bo, do you think in this case that I shouldn't run SBIE with drop rights, or it doesn't really matter?

24. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Well, that's as I observed. What did you observe.?
    Maybe, I just wanted to view the interface and read the EULA. Same as I do with new files. I did not expect MCT to run as normal. I though I'd be able to look at the program.
    Be nice to those on the way up. You'll pass them on the way down.

25. bo elam

If I was using Chrome and I got the BITS messages, I would hide the messages and use Drop rights if all else regarding using the browser under SBIE works well. But if you prefer not to use Drop rights so the messages are not triggered and you don't have to hide anything, I think that's fine too.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.