Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Sorry if this has been posted. Article from last year.

Invincea hopes to add millions of customers with Dell deal

I think the idea of killing the competition is correct.

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

That's what I see.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm with you, Bo. I don't have my shovel out just yet.
    But I'm quietly picking out a nice spot in the backyard.

4. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Tgell, I agree with that. I also think it may backfire a bit. Either people will use their "crap cleaners" on it after they get the Dells out of the box, or it will be a Norton situation where the trial period is in effect at purchase and then never renewed again. Either way, it is painfully obvious that "Sandboxie" as a product is going away. The tech it used is a different story perhaps. You don't buy a company out and then keep its product exactly the same with the same name. Sandboxie as it is known by its fans is gone, end of story.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Subscription-based service to be installed on more than 20 million computers. partnership with Dell, targeted at commercial businesses and public-sector organizations. Money talk$$$$.

The writing's on the wall.

6. NewerGuy

NewerGuy Registered Member

My concern with Sandboxie is the same concern I have whenever effective security programs are acquired by 'private industry' (who are easily corrupted by certain entities that resent the existence of effective privacy and anti data breach tools, or, are covertly owned by those same entities outright).

No different than when formerly free and open PGP was acquired by Symantec.

When I looked up invincea and saw they were located Fairfax, VA, my suspicions went from casual to formal. I'm probably the last person in the world who has anything to hide (unless the NSA wants to spy on my Amazon shopping and youtube videos) but still deeply believe in a persons right to remain private.

Checking into this thread to see if any equally solid alternatives to sandboxie are developed.

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You don't even use Sandboxie, how can you know, you couldn't even compare a new SBIE with an older version and know whats different. You know, I am a very conservative person but sometimes changes can be for the better. And thats the time when its OK to bend a little. I hope SBIE remains as it is but if they change the program somewhat and the changes are for the better (it could happen), then that would be great too.

Bo

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I always value your input, Bo. And I never like coming to a conclusion on anything having to do with Sandboxie until I have read your take on the subject. I hope you are on the right track, my friend. :thumb:

9. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I agree Bo, It's still on my machine and won't leave until something major happens for the worse ;)

10. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Sandboxie is not going away after this purchase anytime soon I think and hope.
    There are still the yearly purchases for many months. I am not expecting much development after Ronen has left. And none words from that Invincea still not yet.

But the old versions will most likely continue to work as the 3.76 is still doing for Windows 7. I am using the latest beta at the moment though.

With Sygate firewall when Symantec bought it in XP times. They killed the forum after just a few months. Much good knowledge built over the years was lost. I do hope Sandboxie forum will last longer than that and anyways the software I think will last just in case that happens, as did the Sygate firewall too.

11. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

It has been a long time since the last Beta version release (December 12, 2013). I wonder why it is taking so long for the next Beta version release.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

3 guesses and the first two don't count. Answer is simple. Tzuk has stopped working on it.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Let's face it, Tzuk was the sole brain-work of this incredible program. He is no longer there at all (as I understand it). Hopefully several of the Invincea programers put together may equal our beloved Tzuk. ;) But will they have the goal/desire (or orders from above) to continue to produce a superior product for the "little guy"? :doubt:

Acadia

14. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Will the sandboxie forums close or will invincea just update it I wonder?

15. Dave0291

So I'm incapable of reading changelogs at the very least? Look, if you've paid attention to nearly every corporate buyout of small tech companies, you already know what is coming, whether fervent users such as yourself want to admit it or not. Even reading about their plans to be a subscription service and include it on systems straight from computer vendors should tell you all you need to know. I promise you my I.Q isn't as low as you might believe, though I can appreciate the amount of faith you have in the product and hope in its survival.

16. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Yeah, based on the attached screenshot from:

-http://www.invincea.com/get-protected/small-business/

where they are clearly comparing their product against Sandboxie and AV, I doubt they have plans to continue it's development. It doesn't exactly come off as a glowing endorsement for the product they bought out.

Attached Files:

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Uh, Dave, if you knew Sandboxie, you'd know that changelogs aren't exactly tzuk's strong suit.

18. bo elam

Dave, I think you are speculating, they don't mention Sandboxie. The article is from June. In my opinion, in the article they are talking about something else that has nothing to do with SBIE.

If Sandboxie as we know it was to disappear, the link below would have been taken down on the day of the Invincea announcement.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?RegisterSandboxie

Bo

19. Dave0291

Page42, perhaps so, yes. But the information is quite easy to find both here in the dedicated Sandboxie threads and on Google. My point was that I'm capable of reading and comprehending. :)

Bo Elam, isn't that what we're all doing though? I'm not offering what I say as indisputable proof of anything, but the evidence that things won't be the same is there. That screenshot from Wat says quite a bit. As far as the registration link is concerned, that doesn't say much. Lots of products have still been able to be bought right up until said product either had its tech stripped and incorporated into another product or until all of the other business related decisions have been made. I'll go with your thought though for a second. Let's say somehow (and really it wouldn't make sense, but we'll go with it) Sandboxie survives unscathed under a different name. Do you also have hope that the free version will resemble anything like the paid product? I most certainly do not. Right now, unless you are a power user, there is very little reason to not use the free version of the current Sandboxie. That was out of the goodness of the heart of Tzuk that he made it that way. A corporation that relies on subscription products and already has their own sandbox tech, is not going to do that. It will either be adware ridden or nearly crippled.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  20. bo elam

To me, that untruthful screen is disgusting, that's for sure. Wat, if you read the Invincea thread at the SBIE forum, you ll read Tzuk telling us that Sandboxie will be taken care of in the future. He tell us not to " assume no one will take care of Sandboxie". :)

Bo

21. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

22. Dave0291

I wouldn't read too much into that unless the forum is just filled with it.

**Edit** And the forum isn't. That post was just put there today.

23. bo elam

I am trying not to. So far, other than SBIE being sold, I haven't seen any other changes. It is likely that there will be changes but we don't know what they are going to be (if any).:)

About the untruthful screen. I think its old. Its been around for a while.

Bo

24. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I don't believe that I ever saw spam on the forum before. Maybe I just missed it the time that it was.

25. bo elam

You just missed it;) . It will be taken down today or tomorrow.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.