Sandboxie 64bit Version

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Scoobs72, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

let's see how it turns;) thanks for the info

3. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

4. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

5. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

This is good news. When I recently went from XP Pro 32-Bit to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, I figured I would have to settle for UAC+SRP and nothing else.

thanks to tzuk and scoobs for the heads up

6. arran

arran Registered Member

wow amazing but the question is how secure is it going to be? Tzuk said before
    that it wouldn't be very secure.

I wonder if other vendors such as Malware defender and defense wall will follow suit and also make 64bit?

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The most wise decision by tzuk. :) Or he would have been out of business in coming days.
    It,s really nice to have this version. 64-bit computing will dominate very rapidly, largely because of the fact that OEM windows installs are mostly 64 bit.

8. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! I AM SO HAPPY!!! YESSSSS!!!!

I can't wait for final release! I dont' even care if it's not going to be as watertight as x32! I want to use Sandboxie again!!! :thumb: :argh:

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Tzur made some body's day i guez:D

10. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Awesome news!

No Sandboxie at 64 bit has been bugging the hell out of me.

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Good (business) decision on tzuk's part, even if it goes against his principles. Prediction: Defensewall's Ilya will follow suit, shortly.

12. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well in his small description he said everything works except for kernal mode supervision, but registry and file writes are protected, but he also said thats why drop my rights is enabled by default so those for the most part, the supervision issue seems to not be much of a problem with Drop my rights covering it.

im sure anyone here running LUA will agree that it works reasonably well doing it that way.

13. arran

arran Registered Member

As long as you guys are aware that Sandboxie won't be as secure as the 32 bit version. Sandboxie's strength at controlling the behavor of running apps has gone down, what if your browser connects to a malicous site and the malicous site uses your browser to cause havoc, is Sandboxie going to be able to control the behavor of your browser?

but how much protection does drop rights in Sandboxie and LUA provide compared to 32bit Sandboxie? does drop rights and LUA also have kernal mode supervision? I guess we need to have us malware testers testing the containment of malware on 64bit pc's

Also as menthioned on the sandboxie forums Tzuk should team up with Ilya Defense Wall and also xiaolin Malware Defender to try and get MS to help here
    with kernel support interfaces. Or if its possible to disable patchguard to give instructions as to how.

14. skylite

skylite Registered Member

great news!! but no xp 64bit support ?? :/

i will try it on vm anyway :D ,report back when i am finished..

15. arjunned

arjunned Registered Member

This is awesome! :D

Thanx.

16. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

For most users 64 bit is useless,only for powerusers such as CAD,Photoshop, Video ,Servers etc. it could be a benefit.
    But only for office and webbrowsing 32 bit more then enough.
    But MS dictate the hype and we have to follow suit o_O?.......!!!!!

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Don,t ever expect MS to help disable patch guard. Also i doubt they can get too much support from MS, considering the market share of these vendors.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think with time we might see it giving benefits to all users. Even now, atleast there is more security in 64 bit that is beneficial for ordinary users more than power users.

19. firzen771

whats the point of staying in the past? technology naturally progresses and 64bit is the next step up after 32bit, it is inevitable.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Because new doesn't always mean better? :) (Note: That was meant towards the "staying in the past comment") Btw, both CAD and Photoshop run wonderfully here on this 32bit system. The hard fact is that the only reason 64bit will take over 32bit is because it'll be force-fed to us in the form of being on every new system bought.

I'm very surprised this even happened given the firm stance Tzuk had on not developing 64bit. Imho, 64bit is not widespread enough to have needed to change said stance, especially when it comes to the security of the product. Hopefully no "foot-shooting" has occurred, and, if it has, the ones who demanded the change share the blame for the wound. Just my 2c.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  21. firzen771

well in every retail store ive been to in my area, they only sell computers with 64bit Windows, so i think its pretty widespread or getting there.

22. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

I think that's exactly it. Many retailers I have seen are only selling 64bit windows. For example, from what I can tell, Dell UK are now only shipping 64bit windows. If it had been left to consumers demanding 64bit then it would have been a very slow transition, but retailers have decided it is easier for them if everything is 64bit. No need for a 'special' 64bit config for customer that want 64 bit.

23. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Therein lies the great con-job perpetrated by hardware manufacturers whereby that 'state of the art' system bought a year ago is now considered old hat.:rolleyes:

24. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

Great SB is gone 64 bit !! the MUST software in the wrold! good work TZUK :D

25. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

As an enthusiast gamer, I'd just like to point out that I enjoy having access to 6 GB of memory. Things go much smoother. And most modern games are currently hitting a 2 GB minimum requirement already, so the future looks rapidly shifting toward higher requirements.

A very small portion of the market, and a forgettable one, I realize. But at the same time, it's a reason you're not considering. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.