Sandboxie 4.06 released

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by stapp, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Bo, Yes your instructions worked. No history outside of sandbox from sandbox now. Thanks again.:D

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I need your help please. Some or all of us running windows 8 with a limited user account and Sandboxie are experiencing a BSOD the first time we run a sandboxed program after booting our systems. This doesn't happen all of the time so it is hard to pin down what is causing the BSOD.

Someone on Sandboxie's forum says they don't have the problem if they start a program as admin in sandboxie as the first program to run sandboxed. I was thinking I could create a shortcut for notepad.exe to start in its own sandbox. I could run it first before I begin surfing. Can someone please help me create a sandboxie shortcut that starts notepad.exe as admin in a sandbox called notepad?

My normal notepad shortcut points here %windir%\system32\notepad.exe

I used the sandboxie shortcut creator and ticked the box "Run as UAC admin. Is that the correct way of creating the shortcut?

"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:DefaultBox "C:\Users\Animal\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk"

Or do I need to tick the box in the pic below? Or does that also start Start.exe as admin? Also, I don't want notepad running as admin all of the time.

sbienotepad.jpg

3. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

That BSOD might be caused by some other (security) software. I have W7 and Sandboxie did not like OA free or Comodo firewalls fully enabled on my system. Both made my system BSOD. They also slowed down sandbox initialization.

It is hard to believe you would not able to sandbox Notepad with a standard user account.

4. innerpeace

But the BSOD only happens right after boot up. If it doesn't happen that one time after boot we can use sandboxed programs freely without problems. Tzuk looked at a complete dump I submitted and said it had something to do with a corrupted security token. Unfortunately the data was incomplete so he can't study and fix the problem.

If running any program once sandboxed as admin right after boot lets me use sandboxie and lua normally afterwards without a BSOD then I would be ok with that workaround. I've had this issue since July and without a fix or workaround I need to choose between Sandboxie and running in a limited user account :(.

5. Jarmo P

Sandboxie definately conflicted with Online Armor firewall on my system. I am always running with a limited user account. If someone have them coexisting together, maybe they only run their computer with admin rights account.

Remember SBIE has HIPS capabilities and there is the driver(s) installed, so any other HIPS type software might conflict. I used ZA also as the latest and it seemed to coxist peacefully, but at the moment I can't recall if it also slowed the sandbox start initialization.

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I run as administrator, if I create a sandboxed shortcut for Notepad, I get same path as you. I think the one you created should work.

I don't think you need to tick the box in the picture, I don't and the shortcut works.

Bo

7. innerpeace

Great thanks Bo :). How can I tell if notepad was running as admin or not? I would like to double check because if this workaround works I want to share it with others. It also could be helpful to Tzuk.

That really stinks. Most of the conflicts I have had between OA and sbie were annoyances and nothing serious. I was on XP running as admin though. The problem we're having isn't specific to OA users AFAIK. The only thing we have in common is running windows 8 in a non-admin account. Early on in my troubleshooting I uninstalled OA and still got a BSOD.

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Innerpeace, I know almost nothing about accounts as I always run as administrator in XP and use the administrator account in W7 but I think, if you want to run a sandboxed Notepad as administrator when you click on the sandboxed shortcut, then you need to tick the "Run as administrator" option in Advanced properties or right click the sandboxed Notepad shortcut and select Run as administrator.

Bo

9. Jarmo P

If you have a Process Hacker, you can check the account under Notepad is running by:
    Processes-tab rightclick notepad.exe -> Properties, select Environment tab.

With Process Explorer the procedure to do is the same.

10. innerpeace

I'm new to limited accounts myself. I'm thinking you could be right. The thing I don't know is if it only runs notepad.exe as admin or if it will also run sandboxie's processes as admin. For all I know Sbie's process always run as admin.

Thanks Jarmo, I'll grab one of the mentioned programs :thumb:.

Edit: Ok, if I use task manager and go to details tab I'm able to right click one of the column header and click select column. I then can tick "elevated". Once I do that my short cut wasn't elevated. If I right click the the shortcut and run as admin notepad and sbie's processes are running elevated.

With all that said Tzuk released a new beta that I'll be trying out.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.