Sandboxie 4.05 beta out now

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by chris1341, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I'm still using 3.76 on XP should be O.k. shouldn't i?

Thanks for the update.. :thumb:

2. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Absolutely. ;)

3. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I still use 3.46 on xp sp3 and I'm happy with it.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I agree with Patrick and the Shadow that it is OK to still use 3.76 in XP but it is also my opinion that there is no reason to do so unless your XP is still on SP2 (not supported by SBIE V4) or if V4 has a conflict with other important software that you are using that can not be worked around.

In my XP, I run all kind of programs sandboxed all the time and all of them run just as well using the latest beta as they did in V 3.76. The only exception is an old version of KMPlayer from 2008 that ran a little smoother using V 3.76. Personally, I am not getting any kind of errors in my XP (or W7) and since V4 is working great and it is the present and future for SBIE, I recommend you to upgrade.

Bo

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Very solid advice, this.
    Bo knows. :thumb:

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Registered Member

-http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=94539#94539-
    -http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?RegisterSandboxie-

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  7. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

That's why I stayed with 3.46, as a protest against rentware/leaseware licencing and online activation models.
    I do though, have a legitimate lifetime licence.

8. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I'm glad I bought my licenses when I did and that tzuk is still going to honor those licenses.

9. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

I prefer to buy a product once and then use it as Long as I like so I don't think Tzuk will receive much sympathy with the new licensing model. The subscription model leads to People looking for alternatives like Bufferzone etc and obviously trading of old licenses for high Prices. Also People that purchase sandboxie in the future will have a clear disadvantage to those that already have a lifetime license.:thumbd:

10. imdb

imdb Registered Member

could someone confirm whether the only difference between the free & paid version of sbie is the ability to force-start apps w/in sb and 5 sec pause at the start of application?

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Registered Member

-http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?FAQ_Licensing-

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Well I suppose that having bought a license years ago has its own advantages in the light of the new business model. I think that changing to a yearly subscription will ensure the existence of SB in the near future, particularly considering how Microsoft is churning out operating systems lately, SB requires constantly updates and monitoring.

15 Euros a year is reasonable, but I'm surprised that it is for each computer in the household. In business any change will have to face customers' reception, and it is nice of Tzuk to honor lifetime licences issued in the past.

13. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thanks, ghost.

14. focus

focus Registered Member

These radical changes in the pricing were certainly unexpected here and I can't see how they will help Tzuk in the long run unless he is going to go commercial (ie Newegg...) for sales. The one PC one year deal for ~$22 as the only option is a big minus IMO, one year three PC's would be much more reasonable. If this new pricing schedule goes sour I would expect to see the free version turn into a 30 day free and the current lifetime licenses expire at the next major version release.

15. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I'm no marketing expert but I'm a big fan of Sandboxie and have been using it for years. It didn't take any particular genius on my part to recognize the worth of the software and the developer.

The cost of the lifetime license was a pittance and if for no other reason would have been worth paying to keep the software in development.

Beyond that, Tzuk, like any of us, is entitled to make a fair living (and dare I say profit?) from his hard work.

I wish him great success. He's earned it.

16. bo elam

Whatever happens in the future, current "Licenses issued in the past which did not include an expiration date will remain without expiration date, and may be used on more than one computer, per past licensing terms." I am quoting the second line on this post.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16676

About the free version. I hope it remains as it is now and I don't believe its gonna change. The existence of a perpetual free version makes it very easy to recommend Sandboxie. I like the free version because people can get a good taste of Sandboxies effectiveness and after using it for a while, might want to get a license.

Bo

17. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

A third scenario is imaginable:

The (constantly) free version remains (for the reason mentioned bei bo elam) but its features are dramatically reduced (in comparison to what the free version offers now). E.g.: no longer the possibility for restrictions concerning the start of programs in Sandboxie or their access to the Internet; no longer the option for automatical deletion of the contents when a sandbox is closed etc.etc. These features will only be offered in a 30 day free version. Users who want them longer will have to buy a licence (of course not a lifetime one but for 1 year).

I think this would be a quite unpleasant scenario but I fear that this will come in the future.

18. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

The man has to make a living. Sandboxie development is constant and innovative. It's a product well worth paying for in my opinion.

It remains the best value for money purchase I've ever made. More than 5 years of top notch security, constantly developed and improved for only 20 quid. I'd pay that and more for it every year to keep the product going.

Tzuk's a one man band. He's not in a position to continue offering what is a niche product with a shrinking income stream as his loyal users have already made their contribution. How many other one man bands are offering free products that are in a regular development cycle?

All power to him, this is long overdue in my opinion. If he needs to ask his lifetime users to start paying I'll have no qualms.

Cheers

19. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

~Offensive language removed~
    Tzuk should had done this from the very beginning. His is the very best security app out there, any price will be cheap.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  20. bo elam

True.

Bo

21. bo elam

I feel the same. Deciding to purchase my license was a wise decision.

I enjoy using computers and the internet a lot more since the day I started using SBIE. And that is priceless.

Bo

22. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I think this was the reason for the price increase. That and the fact that everyone thinks they should be able to sandbox every silly little program they have. It drives me nuts when I see people trying to install or run something in Sandboxie when it clearly wasn't designed for that purpose.

I kinda wish Sandboxie had two versions. One focused on security to sandbox internet facing apps and one that is focused on being compatible with more programs and priced accordingly.

I have 2 lifetime licenses and mainly bought them to support Tzuk. One of the main reasons I would recommend Sbie was because it was such a great deal but that is now over.

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I just couldn't agree more.:thumb:

24. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Anyone noticing an overall slowdown on a Win8.1 64Bit system even if nothing is actively sandboxed? Seems Sandboxie slows down my system after its installation.

25. bo elam

Hi rinem, Sandboxie doesn't do anything outside the sandbox, if SBIE and another program in your computer are having a conflict, you should only feel an slowdown when you run the conflicting application sandboxed. I recommend you install version 4.07.04 (latest beta). If things don't get better after doing so, I think you should post about your issue at the Sandboxie forum.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16838

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.