Sandboxie 4.05 beta out now

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by chris1341, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I don't feel any lag in my W7 using this version or the last one.

In Xp, I haven't tried this one yet, I ll do that later. But using 4.05.01, I feel a little sluggishness in XP when running a sandboxed Windows explorer. Running anything else sandboxed feels normal.

Bo

2. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

The same here. No lag at all.

I only experience a significant delay of emptying the sandbox in connection with the Internet Explorer, as described above by Arcanez:
    But this issue for me is not new (and not important as I usually do not use the IE). The delay happened already with older versions of Sandboxie.

3. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I'm still going to wait until the final version, unless I have the time to play with it or get bored enough lol

4. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

4.05.03 now available http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16079

Attempted fixes for issues with Chrome & Rich Text notifications, direct access to cookies in IE which also impacts on Facebook users in some scenarios. None effect me so can't comment but running well otherwise.

Cheers

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Running perfectly here with Win8 and Chrome. The occasional problem of SB freezing when trying to save an image with Chrome hasn't happened yet.

6. guest

guest Guest

Why even run a program like this, I did use it many moons ago but have went to Clonezilla to make clean images so I don't even worry about stuff like this any more, haven't been infected in a long time "luckily"
    but if I did I would just re-image, seems a lot easier to me, but everyone has their own ways of getting the job accomplishedo_O

7. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

To stay safe and infection free, why else?

8. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I would rather avoid infection to begin with. What if you get infected and many months go by before you realize it? You may no longer have a clean backup to restore from depending on how many you keep. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

9. bo elam

Exactly:D. I told him that before but he doesn't get it.

Bo

10. guest

guest Guest

well a clean image would be a necessity:D

I get it, I just don't see it in the same light you do

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Your posts seem to imply that whoever uses SB does not rely on imaging technology. It is a matter of layers, I use SB on all my machines and create images on a fairly regular base (every other month). As mentioned by other members, using SB reduces considerably the probability of infection, makes it possible to run safely without an AV, and saves me from relying on time consuming scans. SB doesn't exclude the use of images.

12. guest

guest Guest

My post was not meant to imply anything:gack:

13. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

14. karad

karad Registered Member

Will 4.05 beta be better for W7 64bits?

To make a long story short:
    I almost always use a ltd account in Windows7 64.
    As i go ltd I removed Drop My Rights choice from my Default in order to ease things,although with 3.76 i always used happily both ltd account and Dropped.

I run SBIE 4.04 paid+ AppGuard + Comodo AV+FW (no D+) and,
    like for many others ,3.76 worked PERFECTLY for me ,then i installed 4.04 and
    I've reached a point where i thought I was becoming insane as no matter what i did in the past months
    there was a constant flush of initial malfunctions, warning & alerts of various type.
    I studied all threads both here and at SBIE forums and came out with these settings:

c:\Sandbox location put back at C as originally installed (changing to E didnt work )

USER-SPACE=

c:\Sandbox put in UserSpace
    (featuring also c:\programdata and c:\users\accountname)

GUARDED APPS=

c:\sandbox Read/Write
    ...sbiesvc.exe Read/Write
    ..sbiectrk.exe Read only
    ..sandboxierpcss.exe Read/Write

PUBLISHERS=

left the orignal ones,only added Comodo Security Solutions.

POWER APPS=

..sbiectrl.exe
    ..start.exe

ADVANCED/APP.EXCEPTION LIST=

..sbiesvc.exe Read/Write
    ..sandboxierpcss.exe Read/Write

Now all programs and browsers work ok,no lags or malfunctions,but i still receive once in a while, lets say once per day ,an outburst of 3-10 alerts which are ever changing ,I got a sample from last week,but dont want to clutter the post.

I was accustomed to very rarely receive alerts with 3.76.

As i was pasting this I received a new one right now:

Can fellow Sandboxie/appGuard users please spot if i did anything wrong?

15. bo elam

Hi Karad, I cant help you solve the issues between Sandboxie and App guard since I have never used AG but I know that workarounds have been discussed here and the SBIE forum. You should not be getting 3/10 messages even if its only once a day, IMO. I am not getting any. I think you should do another search.

Is V 4.05.04 better than 4.04? In my personal case, I feel that every time a new version is out, the overall feel of using SBIE gets better. I suggest you upgrade now, over the top.

Bo

16. karad

karad Registered Member

As Bo suggested I've installed (over) 4.05.4 and up to now situation seems improved....
    Now is on Locked,tomorrow i'll check with High.
    If really it works-and I really hope so- it might be because I this time installed SBIE with AppGuard on Install and also with a disabled Antivirus.I read somewhere it could interfere with the kernel install. In retrospect I remember I didnt disable the antivirus when installing 4.04......
    A few days will tell....

17. karad

karad Registered Member

No need to wait a few days: shortly after i wrote the previous post the Rumba of alerts began again exactly like in the previous version.

At this point, considering that :

1-alerts dont apparently prevent SBIE from working ok,but they are fastidious and nobody can guarantee in the long run something wont break as they are a mirror that not everything is perfectly set.

2-in another pc of mine running Windows8 though I only have Sandboxie 4.04,not AppGuard, still it runs flawlessly. This makes me think the new v.4 is eminently for Windows8.

3-Sandboxie 3.76 worked ok in ALL my computers

4-I am unable to solve the problem and nobody came out with a solution (probably Tzu is still working hard on v.4 betas)

So,I decided to wait one or two days more and then I'll image my windows7 with one of a few months ago with 3.76........

Is there a chance a MS update breaks the old design of 3.76?:
    No problem, I hope that ,by that time, v.4 will have solved its (small) malfunctions.

18. bo elam

You mention that SBIE seems to be working properly, perhaps the alerts really mean nothing and can be safely ignored (click hide). I think you should post about this issue at the Sandboxie forum before going back to 3.76.

Bo

19. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

tzuk also fix in latest beta all opera 15/16 issues :)

20. karad

karad Registered Member

@Bo, unfortunately most of the alerts are not about completely trivial things ,otherwise I wouldnt care.

Instead of posting,I read in the last couple of days perhaps a hundred posts at SBIE forum,but i couldnt find a clue...

I understand you're worried I'm taking a step back in Sandboxie security,but what I plan to do is one thing I've done quite often in the past when I wanted to 'rejuvenate' the pc: I will put back an image going back to end of january 2013, and then i'll make all necessary updates, which wont include Sandboxie,which remains 3.76, at least for some time.
    Although Safeguy reporting

' Application Sandboxes: A pen-tester’s perspective '

has depicted a very sombre situation regarding Sandboxie and security, I still feel that the combination of Sandboxie,whether 3.76 or v4s,plus AppGuard,ShadowDefender and an optional antivirus can still insure some safety.

With a cleaner system I'll try again v.4 when some time is passed.
    Thanks for your help,
    karad

21. TheKid7

I agree.

22. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

23. bo elam

Karad, 3.76:cool: is just fine.

Bo

24. karad

karad Registered Member

Yes mick92z, I saw post44 you mention ,and it's been a milestone for me in changing settings and evaluating solutions.

Yesterday I zeroed all my AppGuard settings and tried again (last desperate attempt) by changing Sandbox from C to E, insofar experimenting again with solution 1 as explained by mod Peter,but ,unfortunately, it failed two weeks ago and its failing now,too.

I'll image my pc today or tomorrow morning and i need a couple of days to settle,after all these changes I think it is healthier to go back in time when things were just installed,then i will report back what the situation is.

Thanks to the Kid and Bo for their posts.

karad

25. TheKid7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.