Sandboxie 4.02 released

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by chris1341, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Hi Fingol – your 'paste' issue – are you referring to copy\pasting from a sandboxed browser to whatever? Or the other way round?

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks! It's working well on Win8 (64bit), Vista (32 bit) and XP.

3. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I had issues with Firefox and Forced Folders, had to revert to 3.7.6

Win7 64

4. Fingol

Fingol Registered Member

In the browser. Highlight something in sandboxed browser and copy. Copies to clipboard but won't paste into browser search etc.
    Worked fine in un-sandboxed browser. Worked fine in notepad.

5. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Had to revert back to 3.76 , firefox was acting weird, didn't liked that.

6. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

If you don't mind me asking, what problems were you experiencing while using Sandboxie 4.02 and Firefox?

Reason why I ask is...

Just in case I experience the same issues, I would like to know what to expect.

7. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

OK, thanks! – sounds like your problem is different to mine - I can select the 'Copy' option by r\clicking - but the 'Paste' option just doesn't appear in the context menu. I can use the Ctrl+C keys to copy - and then Ctrl+V keys to paste – this works OK at first, then simply stops working!
    Really weird!

8. pabrate

It was pretty simple and maybe stupid for someone but for me it was off-putting , my home page is set to about:newtab , so whenever I launch FF it opens that first, everything was fine with 3.76 and page was displayed without any delays, with 4.02 firefox starts maybe 1-2 seconds longer which is not the problem, but the problem is when it gets opened it doesn't display about:newtab page, instead you see Connecting.... on the first tab and it goes like that for maybe 5 seconds when it finally shows about:newtab
    Reinstalled, rebooted (tho not needed) , same thing happened.
    That's when I reverted back to 3.76 and everything was normal.
    If I used it more then maybe I would find more things like that, some other bugs, maybe some other sandboxed app would behave like FF
    I'm just very happy with 3.76 and I guess I don't need new features or some changes that are mostly Win8 related, frankly I didn't even looked at changelog so I don't even know what's new, but from what I heard it was mostly Win8 compatibility, maybe I'm wrong there.

Firefox 21.0 , Windows 7

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  9. Tyrizian

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Well, you could try to troubleshoot the issue (Which I have some suggestions if you want them), but if 3.76 is working without any problems, then I say stick with it, especially if you don't feel like conquering the issue with 4.02.

As far as I know, the newer version 4.02 fixes some compatibility issues with other programs, Windows 8 compatibility and Experimental Protection is no longer needed.

There might be more additions to this new version, but like I said...that's as far as I know.

10. pabrate

Thanks for offering help but I really don't need it, especially since I looked now at the changelog pasted below, I don't use apps mentioned and I'm on Win7 32bit.
    Maybe I'm getting old, back in the day I would gladly fight with this kind of issues, lately I don't have much time and simple "if it works don't fix it" works for me just fine :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  11. Tyrizian

No problem

Completely understandable :thumb:

12. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

If, after installing 4.02 and noticing the problem, you had launched Firefox out of the sandbox a couple of times, I think Firefox would have opened OK sandboxed afterward. By the way, I do have some problems in my XP but in my W7 32 bits computer (like yours), 4.02 is perfect. Firefox, Flash, downloading, anything to do with the browser or running other programs sandboxed, works without issue.:)

Bo

13. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I've installed SbIE 4.02 just after release date and everything works like should.
    Unfortunately after system restore (built-in Windows 7) to previous state - I cannot run any executable in SbIE anymore.
    It gives me an error:

14. StillAlive

StillAlive Registered Member

Issues with Sandboxie 4.02 are also reported
    http://www.comss.ru/page.php?id=82
    (in comments; with screenshots)

15. crapbag

crapbag Registered Member

Just re-installed AppGuard and trying to get Sandboxie 4.02 to work with it is a royal pain. Tried the fixes suggested in another thread but Firefox was still refusing to start. Had to put loads of Sandboxie processes and exe's into Power Apps and Guarded Apps. No idea what eventually got it to work. Will muck about later.
    Also noticed whilst installing 4.02 that it still recommended experimental protection. I'm running Win 7 x64. Thought this build scrapped that feature?

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Registered Member

Do you install Sandboxie under Install/Off Protection Level? What is in the AppGuard log when you try to run app under the supervision of Sandboxie?

17. crapbag

I installed AppGuard after installing Sandboxie. I've taken a look and added/removed changes to the AppGuard settings and got to the bottom of it.

I applied the settings suggested by Kid Shamrock here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=310812

Sandboxie still refused to launch Firefox.

It was only happy after I added sbiesvc.exe to the Power Apps list.

Go figure! o_O

Hoping that the 'experimental protection' prompt whilst installing Sandboxie was just a leftover from the previous version. This new build for 64-bit protection is the first version I've used since jumping ship from 32-bit XP.
    Looking forward to giving it another run out. :thumb:

18. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Like already mentioned by some other posters above I have also various problems with pasting (simply text) from and/or in the browser when using the browser in Sandboxie 4.02.

For example I experienced in some forums (one of them the Sandboxie Forum itself :D ) that I cannot paste anything (e.g. a copied link) into a posting in the forum.

It is strange that in other forums - like here at Wilders - these pastings work without problem for me.

Here the link to the thread in the Sandboxie Forum about the pasting problems:

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=15743

19. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Appguard on windows 7 64, and no problems.

sbiectrl.exe Read (only)

sandboxierpcss.exe ReadWrite

sbiesvc.exe ReadWrite

userspace C:\sandbox

Nothing in PowerApps

20. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

For those experiencing copy\paste issues from sandboxed browsers - just thought I'd mention what works for me (in both Windows 7 and 8 Pro)

I found that marking the selection – then using R\click > context menu 'Copy' – but using Ctrl+V keys to paste the selection, actually works. (for me, the context menu option 'paste' just does not appear!)

Edit
    For some reason the usual copy\paste options are now working OK – my 'workaround' only applies to copy\pasting to Apache Open Office! Weird!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  21. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

I also made the experience that the situation concerning copy/paste is unclear. Above I wrote that in some forums I could not paste anything (into a posting). A little time later it worked. (But other problems with pasting still remain). It is indeed weird. o_O

22. newyorkjet

newyorkjet Registered Member

No problems at all with Sandboxie 64bit (paid). Using Win 7 64 bit, IE 10, F-secure and keyscrambler. Thanks tzuk.

23. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

That's all that's needed on Win 8 x 64 also for most applications although depending on what else you use you might need to add sandboxiedcomlaunch and sandboxiecrypto to memory guard exceptions as well but I wouldn't unless you need to. AppGuard log will tell you if it is blocking memory operations for them and you can set read/write as appropriate.

@crapbag you haven't needed to use Power Apps method you link to to get x64 support since SBIE 3.7xx at least.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013
  24. merisi

merisi Registered Member

The strangest thing I've had happen since using Sbie 4.02 is my screen switching itself off while watching a film when it reached it's being idle time limit. It never happened before but I can only guess that the Sbie protection is so much stronger now that my OS wasn't even able to tell that there was something going on my pc and instead thought it was stood their idle.

25. crapbag

:) it's been a while since I used the two of them. I'll try out Seven64's setup.

Ta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.