Sandboxie 3.70 Released

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TheKid7, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

PG, stop making false accusations for goodness sake. Why do you keep lying? And why did you resort to personally attacking me? Is that how you deal with people in life is it, to say they having something wrong with them as soon as they say something you don't agree with? Low awareness vs High awareness at display? How is your self-esteem these days?

Where have I said I am not happy with SBIE?

Have you even read all my comments to understand what I have been talking to and referring to? You need to contextualize my comments.

Where did I say I an UNHAPPY with it?

On the contrary, have a read of this:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2063781&postcount=2

2. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

Were still waiting for your answers to why it doesn't protect as well as the hype....

Why do you avoid such questions, and enter a defensive mode :eek: lol

attacking people of their mental states, their emotions, their inability to understand a product or their lack of understanding, have you seen all the tripe you have posted in this thread - it is seriously mental, and I stand by my claim that you have some serious issues.

You have given no evidence to back up your claims, you don't seem to grasp the fact that a user happy with the product doesnt has to prove why its good for them, or why it doesn't protect them to a user who is trying to say otherwise.

You say the product doesn't live up to the hype, so tell us why & stop avoiding it like the plague, attacking other forum members with such drivel that I can't believe a user is spouting (out loud). o_O

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

An old sidestepping strategy you are using there PG. I have asked you some questions and waiting for your sources and references, yet you sidestepped my questions and ran like a dog with his tail between his legs and hid from them, and now you are resorting to the infamous sidestep strategy to REDIRECT away from you and ask me questions instead, so you can avoid having to backup your answers.

Well PG, that old trick won't work on me.:thumbd:

If you continue to sidestep my questions and request, then it will show I was right along, you have ZERO and NADA and ZILCH references or sources to backup your claim and you are only PARROTING information that has been told you to and which you have been conditioned and brainwashed with to believe in, WITHOUT any PERSONAL or COMPARATIVE reference point.

Good luck with living your life like that.

AMWAY will knock on your door so have your pen ready to sign up without asking them to provide sources and references to backup their products objective compared to other avenues.

Who knows, you may like being in AMWAY :argh:

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Thanks..... sounds like Comodo has a similar feature with it's sandbox.

So we would be delegating sandbox or not calls to these vendors rather than make the call ourselves?

Maybe just maybe these products can make better calls than I can?

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Someone asked for proof about SBIE stopping infections. My own personal experience since I started using SBIE proves Sandboxies efficiency preventing infections. I use to get infected all the time, that stopped the day that I started using SBIE a little over 3 years ago. I am a guy that use to get infected once or twice a year, something will always go through the AV and now even though I am not using an antivirus, infections don't happen anymore. Thats due to SBIE and a little bit of brain work on my side.

Honestly, I feel lucky that I discovered SBIE and I believe choosing to use it is the smartest decision that I ever made related to computers. This little program that "speaks softly but carries a big stick" has made my internet experience a joy. No more worries as I know that when I close my browser, PDF Reader, Email client or any of the other programs that I normally use, the system is intact.

Bo

6. bo elam

Escalader, those products do make false positives sometimes.

When you using SBIE the only "calls" that you really have to make are related to which files are OK to recover to your hard drive and which programs are safe to install.

Bo

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Right, thanks but as a flawed human would I not also make calls that are false positives? How do we "know" the file is okay? or the program safe?
    Is there a guide anywhere to help us?

8. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Escalader, I'm far from an expert but there are a few options you can try.

First, make all downloads to a folder which is "forced" ("program start" settings) in one of your Sandboxie sandboxes.

If you set up this way, any app starting from within that folder will be forced to run sandboxed or will not start. (You'll have to ensure that your elected settings permit this.)

While the setup file is in the sandboxed download folder, you can scan the file, upload it to VirusTotal or Jotti and depending on their result, you may even install the app within the sandbox (restricting internet access and any other options you choose) to test out the program. (This will not work if you must install a driver, however. Sandboxie will not permit such an installation.)

These steps should go a long way toward helping to reduce the issues our flawed judgment and knowledge expose us to imho.

9. bo elam

In a way, if you are using Sandboxie, it doesnt matter if we don't know if the file is OK. As long as you open files that are downloaded sandboxed, these files wont make changes to your system.

There are many ways that people can use SBIE, some users only use it only for browsing or trying programs but myself, I sandbox every program that I normally use. In other words, I don't stop using SBIE when a file is downloaded and recovered to my system. Most of my files get downloaded into a forced download folder but when they are moved out of there, for example a video, it gets forced into my KMPlayer sandbox where only KMPlayer can run and nothing can connect to the Internet. So, pretty much, I never stop using SBIE.

I rarely install new programs in my real system, I do try some under Wondershare Time Freeze but I am rarely adding anything new. Installing new programs really is the time when I have to be very careful. But really is not that hard to figure which programs are good to install and which are not. I mean, if we only download and install well known program and get the installers from the developer site or something like File Hippo, it should be fine.

Its simple, Sandboxie makes it simple. People here talk about common sense all the time. Using a little of it together with SBIE goes a long way. It has for me and I am not a computer guy at all. As a matter of fact I know very little about computers but I know how to use SBIE and take everything that it gives me and use it.

Bo

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Well i took the plunge and purchased sandboxie.Ive set it up to work with appguard and sticky passwords as per FAQs,and it seems to be working fine.I also followed advice here and made my downloads folder forced into sandbox.
    Im experiencing one quirk though and i cant figure it out.It concerns avg right click (shell extension) scan and sandboxie.If i navigate to "downloads" using inbuilt windows 7 64 explorer.exe i can right click any file there and scan with AVG and it works.However if i use explorer ++ (http://www.explorerplusplus.com/) and navigate to downloads avg right click scan doesnt work when sandboxie is running,and i notice the sandboxie icon having red dots for a few secs then going blank.I managed to capture a screenshot showing that avgscan is running sandboxed for a few secs.However using normal explorer.exe that doesnt happen.Any ideas how to fix this or why its happening?Basically i want to be able to rightclick scan in downloads folder with AVG but using explorer++ ,not windows explorer.

Attached Files:

11. bo elam

Hi Ellison, it looks like a conflict between SBIE and explorerplus. I suggest you go to SBIE forum and post about it over there. The chances that someone who also uses both software will see your request for help are greater over there.

Welcome to the Cult, Oops I mean the SBIE club. ;)

Bo

12. ellison64

Thanks...posted there.

13. Prole

Prole Registered Member

If you are using Windows 7, you can --

click the 'Start Button' --
    expand Sandboxie --
    right-click 'Run Windows Explorer Sandboxed' --
    and choose 'Pin to Taskbar' --

Then you can open Explorer from your taskbar and it open in the 'Default' sandbox. Just block internet access in the default sandbox.

I've deleted the normal 'Explorer' from my taskbar.

14. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Hi guys, I have been having a problem with the last two versions of SBXIE and Internet Explorer 8 x64. While it works OK with x32 IE, every time I try to sandbox an IE x64 window I get errors (see attached screenshots). My hardware and software configuration has been unchanged, so I can't see any third-party programs as being the problem.

I googled for it but could not find a definite answer. The sandboxie site has very little info itself:

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?SBIE1151
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?SBIE2303
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?SBIE2318

I've also tried with IE x64 safe mode (add-ons disabled), and it's the same.

Any ideas? I rarely use IE8 anyway, I just want to understand why this is happening.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  15. ellison64

Im new to sandboxie myself ,but i just opened IE 64 bit sandboxed with no problem.However i have IE 9 not 8....any reason not to use 9?.I also have sandboxie version 3.72 (this version has fixed the problem that i posted about explorer++....post 85).I also have the 64 experimental protection enabled..i dont know if that would make a difference?.Sorry i cant be of more help ,but the above settings seem to work fine on my pc.Sure none of your other security apps (if you have any) havent updated or changed somehow?).The screenshot looks as though somethings blocking SB from doing its stuff.

16. ellison64

The version 3.72 has fixed the problem :thumb:
    Out of curiosity when i updated ,sandboxie said it was registered but needed to be activated again.Is that normal ? and is there a limit on activations?.

17. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Even a lifetime license must be reactivated every 180 days. It's no biggie and only takes a couple of moments to accomplish. :thumb:

18. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Sandboxie v3.72 is out.

19. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

It can be set to be activated automatically, without one knowing and being aware of this.

20. bo elam

I saw it, great.:)
    Yes, that's normal. As far as I know there is no limits on activations but the license is personal. We can only use it on computers that we own.

Bo

21. ellison64

Thanks,i missed that first time around ,and notice you cant get the option until you activate again...which ive done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.