Sandboxes podcas

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Meriadoc, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Steve Gibson talks about sudo virtualization 'lighter weight' application sandboxing such as Sandboxie, Greenborder... and some I havent seen stating you cannot trust them for security only privacy.
    http://www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htm#55

2. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Well for one thing, I think Gibson is somewhat inaccurate here; it might be that you can't fully trust them for security (isn't that true for any program?), but sure some of the programs he mentions are not "for privacy". Take Sandboxie: it doesn't protect applications from reading, only from writing to the "true" OS folders (there's a rather obscure method to deny reading from certain folders in the configuration files, but it's certainly not the primary scope of Sandboxie). Also:

He's gotta be kidding. Unless you delete the sandbox contents with something like Eraser, one can easily recover the files that were in the sandbox with any "undelete" programs found on the web.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Re: Sandboxes podcast

I thought it abit unfare to group these type of programs together and only really talk about one, namely 'Sandboxie.'

typical SG rant

another comment...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.