Samsung Sells HDD Division To Seagate for $1.375 billion

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SweX, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Story and Press Release here:http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/19/samsung-sells-hdd-division-to-seagate-for-1-375-billion/

I'm not sure if this is good or bad news :doubt:

But I do know that Samsung made some high quality disks.
    Considering the one I got now is 8 years old and still spinning....

2. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Registered Member

I too have about 3 Samsung disks, did not like them at first because the access was slower than Seagate but I've come to like them . They are like the turtle that won the race, slow and steady and have not died on me, but I have had to return 2 Seagates over a 10 year period.

I think this has more to do with Seagate wanting access to a chip manufacturer than Samsungs :cautious: drive tech.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I always considered Samsung HDD's very good and reliable.
    In fact i was planning to get one, now that this happened . . . Oh well :rolleyes:
    I'll look elsewhere (Staring at WD)
    All my HDD's been WD except for one, and none of them have failed me still. The oldest being a 40GB one back from 2003 still works like a charm.

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

/me looks @ his collection of dead Seagate drives and sobs miserably... :mad:

(The other collection I have are IBMs DeathStars, ugh... o_O :blink: )

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I think that you can still find Samsung HDD here and there at least online, since this deal was just made.

So hurry up and start shopping :thumb:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

This leaves the market to Seagate and Western Digital. I can also attest to the reliability of Samsung's HDD drives, as I have one that is 7 years old and still spinning. However, I've had plenty of reliable Seagates too. With Seagate, it appears most of the problems are related to the Barracuda series. I've never had a Barracuda as I somehow always ended up with the server series HDDs (SV35, etc.) and they've all been good to me. :)

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Yes, since WD bought Hitachi as well, there are just 2 major players now, lets hope, that it will not result in higher prices or slower development due to lack of competition.

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

When did WD buy Hitachi?

Yes, only two big players now, we need someone more indeed. :(
    Too bad that Intel is focusing only on SSD development at the moment.

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

A month before Samsung (link), probably that is the reason, why Samsung "gave up" as well, since it would not stand a chance vs WD and Seagate.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I see, that wasn't long ago.

Yes Samsung would probably not have a chance against them. But it's a shame since I liked Samsungs HDD more than both WD and Seagates.

11. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

I seem to have heard last 2009 that Samsung allied with Toshiba for the hdd and DVD-RW drive manufacturing. I did not know what happened to that alliance with the hdd though but the DVD-RW drive manufacturing has pushed through. Now they sold to Seagate the hdd project. Seagate and Western Digital are the remaining major players. What happend to Fujitsu (which I think allied with TDK)..?

I have 5 dead Seagate drives. Those 5 were RMA'd 3x until I gave up let it rot in their boxes. I prefer WD drives. Since 2007 not a single dead or malfunctioning drive here. Though RMA can be a tough act for WD(friend had to ship it to Thailand own dollar)...with Seagate RMA is no charge if it is still under warranty. Warranty was shortened to 3 years from 5. WD is 3 years also I think.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Bad in my opinion. Who would have thought 12 years ago we would be left with Seagate and WD? Given that option I will stick with WD. When SSD takes over I don't expect either of them to be a leader. The memory manufacturers have a big head start.

13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i think this is good news for Seagate and Seagate drives in the future; i havent had any problems with seagate drives, i have one in my laptop, my desktop and my external drive is also seagate and none of them have given me any problems, and the one WD drive that i decided to buy because of the positive reliability reviews that WD drives seem to get died on me in less than a year.

14. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I thought LG was pretty big, and my HD and CD/DVD drive are both theirs. Is LG actually a division of (or maybe partly owned/controlled by) one of the bigger operations?

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

o_O I didn't even know that LG had a HDD division :p

When I hear the name LG I think about Panels, TV's and electronics in general.

16. Triple Helix

Triple Helix Webroot Product Advisor

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  17. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i'm pretty certain they dont, although i know they rebrand other hdd's from toshiba, seagate and WD

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yup this flat out sucks. seagate is one brand i refuse to carry at our shop. way to many failures. the newer sammy's were my fav drives especially the 500gb and 1tb f3 series i sold TONS of those and they are awesome drives...im not really a huge wd fan either to be honest but i would take them over seagate any day.

19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I am Not surprised at all, as these two (2) have been the major players. :cool:

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes and that's not good IMO. As it is with every market, competition is essential. And that's on the HDD market as well :thumbd:

Though it's great that we got HUGE competition on the SSD market :thumb:

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  21. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.