Samsung Galaxy S IV

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Noob, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So what do you guys think about it? :rolleyes:

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Does it make phone calls?

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well they said on CNN that I could possibly use it as a remote for my TV....after that I switched channel with my perfectly functioning remote. So we'll see about that :D

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am really disappointed. Too me, look and feel of gadgets means a lot. S3 was ugly and they kept the same ugly shape for S4. I think most elegent looking Android phone is HTC One( though I wish they could make it more thinner and lighter).

But I think most people don,t care about the look and feel and they will buy it, . It will be the success of Samsung,s publicity department, just ike they succeed with S3. The only thing that I like in S4 is that they made it lighter and thinner.

Waiting for Nexus 5, Google X, next metallic Lumia and MS Surface Phone. :p And Ubuntu Of course.:D

Edit: Forgot to mention that some early benchmarks for Exynos Octa don,t seem to be so impressive.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. c2d

c2d Registered Member

I'm sure it's a great phone but HTC One is my favourite android phone atm.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Samsung is a big hypocrite. They complain that Apple keeps pushing out the same design, then they do the exact same thing.

At first I was on Samsung's side when Apple was suing them for copying, thinking how ridiculous it was of Apple. But the GS4 is nothing other than ripping ideas from various other phones and shoving it on a bigger screen that's exact same as the previous model. They truly are copying EVERYTHING from other manufactures, even decisions. The GS4 has really opened my eyes to this.

Personally the only thing the GS4 has done for me is made me want to stay away from anything Samsung in the future. I truly hope LG and HTC can pull forward with some quality Android products and push Samsung down a level.

edit: FYI I've now replaced my only Samsung product (PC screen) with an LG IPS display.

7. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I like the idea of the phone tilting to navigate. I can't see myself using my eyes or my hands to navigate by gestures. I don't particularly dislike the physical look of the phone, but my nexus 4 is pretty sexy with the glass back. I think they could work on the physical look of the phone. Other then that its a first step towards how I imagine most devices will function: hand/eye gesture, voice command, etc. I don't see a particular use for the double camera functionality, except to give them a more 360 view of my world. I'm thinking Uncle Sam turning it on remotely. I can see having the option to switch camera views so you can take pictures of yourself with ease or take pictures of something else. But both at once?

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want a smart phone without cam. :)

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

For me the Galaxy S IV is a good and worthy successor to the Galaxy S III . . . the only problem is that they kept the same design, i have no problem if it's plastic or any other material you guys call cheap but i don't like that it kept the same design even though its supposed to be the next gen. That's one of the reasons i don't like iPhone (There are many other reasons ofc). :rolleyes:

But still, if i get the chance to buy the phone for a good price i will pull the trigger and get it. :D

10. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Sometimes, I think that the Samsung Galaxy S IV (just like the previous model) is too big for a (smart)phone. It feels more like a small tablet. And I'm not a fan of the Android OS too.

But the Galaxy S IV is also cool in many ways. The hardware, for instance, is awesome.

And, I was genuinely impressed by one technology: eye-tracking. This one can drastically improve usability.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

12. elapsed

13. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The author is more like an Apple Fanboy/Fangirl. :rolleyes:
    Seriously.

15. Bill_Bright

Having worked in several giant corporations, I can tell you it is a fact one hand rarely knows what the other is doing. And I can also tell you that marketing weenies live in their own world. And unfortunately, marketing weenies have firm grips on the purse strings, which of course, drive the business decisions.

It happens all the time. And the sensation-seeking, biased media looking for the flashiest headlines blow everything out of proportion.

Marketing weenies almost destroyed Coke when they decided consumers wanted a new Coke.

Microsoft makes outstanding software, but their marketing weenies alienate their customers.

Samsung monitors, TVs, and yes, cell phones are top tier products, but their marketing weenies have alienated their customers.

And in each case, the press is relentless in tearing them apart - with exaggerations and sometimes, blatant lies.

All I am saying is, while Samsung's marketing weenies put on a pathetic show with bloated fluff and consumer disconnects, the inventive minds who create and develop the products still produce industry leading, top quality products. So don't let the marketing weenies cloud your opinions about all those hard working engineers, designers, and developers who create quality, innovations.

Bottom line is Samsung is a reputable company producing quality products. In fact, you would be hard-pressed to find any Samsung product that is unreliable.

That is not a fair statement. If two products MUST perform the exact same functions, using the exact same tools, over the exact same networks, and fit in the exact same pockets, the designs have no choice but to be nearly identical.

And besides, Appleo_O Apple is clearly the biggest "my way or no way" company out there - way more so than Samsung, Microsoft, or anybody else - and Apple is happy to charge you more just so you can do it their way.

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

+99999
    Spot on Bill!! :thumb:

17. elapsed

I didn't question the quality of their products. But reputable? Right, if stealing makes you reputable then they definitely are reputable!

Maybe you should look up hypocrite because it's a perfectly fair statement. They dissed Apple for not coming up with a new design then did the exact same thing.

So? What does that have to do with the topic?

Let me get this straight. Samsung pays shills to yell things out from a crowd, the author is smart enough to recognize this and criticize it, but that makes him an Apple fanboy, correct? :ouch:

18. Bill_Bright

New design? Each is just an incremental improvement over the next. And again, Samsung is much more than a cell phone company.

19. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

20. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I disagree. It's not the physical design of the phone, it's that Apple are doing very little to add new features with new iPhone releases. Apart from having a larger screen size, there is very little difference between the iPhone 5 and the 4S, once you upgrade the 4S to iOS 6.

On the other hand, Samsung are adding some really useful new features with each new Galaxy release. Take for example that the screen will remain active while you're looking at it, or the ability to have two programs running on the screen at once, or that the Note 2 beeps to let you know if you've walked away with the phone and forgotten to put the stylus back in.

That is why my next phone is now not going to be a $200 Galaxy Note clone, but a genuine Galaxy instead.

Edit: I'm not saying that the iPhone 5 is a bad phone. But it was a huge disappointment that Apple chose not to add anything other than a bigger screen to make it stand out from previous iPhones.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  21. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Actually I thought the ad for the S3 did an excellent job of pointing out how little the iPhone 5 has to offer compared to the S3.

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well, the complete article was a rant . . . so i think he/she is either a fanboy or just hates Samsung.
    Come on, i don't like Apple but have you seen me telling everyone that Apple sucks or rant about them. :rolleyes:
    There was not a single positive thing in that article! :gack:

23. Bill_Bright

True, they did that, but they did it via an ill-conceived, poorly conceptualized marketing campaign that used silly skits and highly sexist (and outdated) stereotypes.

Does it really take a drunk woman to show anybody can use it? o_O

I have been supporting IT systems for over 45 years and some of the best, most professional, hardest working technicians and developers I have worked with have been women - often driven by the desire to prove themselves in a "man's world".

Now there's hardly anything nicer to look at than a beautiful woman, and certainly, sex sells. But, but a good product, capable of standing on its own merits does not need silly skits and sexist stereotypes to prove itself capable.

To be sure, my issue is with the marketing weenies, and not Samsung, or their new phone.

24. elapsed

Features =/= design and it doesn't make Samsung any less of a hypocrite.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Seriously :) I'm trying to understand how you figured out he's a "fanboy" by reading the article?
    This is not about Apple, iOS, Android or whatever.
    The article is about Samsungs presentation nothing more nothing less. The author may use iOS or Android or something else, but that doesn't mean that he liked the way Samsung released their new phone.

Again, what does Apple have to do with it?
    You have mentioned Apple two times in this thread already ;)

Also, no where in the text do I see the word Apple, iOS, Android etc....keep them out of it. This is about Samsungs presentation and their new phone.

Though since some of you have started to talk about Apple, afaik Apple thought that some of the technology like NFC wasn't mature enough last year and therefore they didn't implement it into the iPhone.

Personally I wouldn't mind if Samsung would take a look at how Apple does when they release new products on events like WWDC. Keep it simple and professional, but that's just me :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.