Said in HOSTS but it's not ?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by CloneRanger, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi,

A nasty www was blocked by PSOL the other day, the screen went black as it should and i was alerted by PSOL :thumb:

PSOL said that www was in my HOSTS file.

The funny thing is, i have a VERY small HOSTS file with less than 20 entries, and it is NOT in there :D

I clicked the ignore button and proceeded anyway for testing ;) and PSOL said it had removed the entry ?

How could it, if it wasn't in there, plus my HOSTS file is Read Only so PSOL couldn't alter it anyway ?

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

It's possible that your hosts file was modified by other sources or hidden back. A HOSTs file rootkit isn't unheard of, although somewhat rare. It could also be that another component in the browser is redirecting the browsing - the hosts file message is generic and not always indicative of a change directly to the hosts file (although that is most likely the case).

A read only attribute on a file doesn't prevent SafeOnline (or most applications) from modifying it :)

3. CloneRanger

@PrevxHelp

Hi

It's read only and locked by

lock.gif

You serious :eek: If that's the case, which i Very much doubt, then Prevx hasn't detected it :D

Such as ?

Well that makes it misleading then, and not the right info we need to see :(

Anything you can suggest which might be of help would be welcome :)

TIA

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

That certainly wouldn't prevent everything ;)

It is quite rare but I have seen an infection a few months ago which did it although I strongly doubt this is the case :D

Something in the LSP chain, a browser BHO that is maliciously redirecting traffic, a scripted extension within the browser, an injected DLL forwarding requests, something at the TDI level modifying packets, an NDIS rootkit changing destination addresses... the list continues :)

If you do run into it again on another domain, let me know and I'll take a closer look :)

5. CloneRanger

Originally Posted by PrevxHelp

Oh no :D

Interesting :eek:

So do i ;)

Thanks for the Such as info :thumb:

Will do :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.