Safest Registry Cleaner?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I can really recommend TuneUp Utilities 2006. :thumb:
    You can't go wrong with this tool ErikAlbert.
    It offers lots of utilities not found in other registry cleaners. :cool:
    Never mind the extra $10. :p ;)

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes, it looks that way, isn't it? :D
    But it really isn't. The freewares of registry cleaners are just not good enough for me, otherwise I would have used one of them.

I have three major reasons to buy "TuneUp Utilities" :
    1. I feel very uncomfortable with removing valid registries, that are apparently useless after installing winXPproSP2, but also after installing any other legitimate software and there is nothing wrong with keeping them.
    My knowledge isn't good enough to remove useless registries SAFELY and I've many doubts that anybody knows all the details of thousands registries to remove them safely as well.
    I don't even trust the author of any registry cleaner, because they all seem to have a different opinion.
    The fact that history has proven, that users screwed up their system by using registry cleaners, is enough for me.

2. I don't like to see these useless registries over and over again, when I run my registry cleaner, that's why I need the IGNORE feature.
    If necessary I can remove registries from the ignore list to put them back on the report list, which means that everything is covered.
    I've tested this with "TuneUp Utilities" and "AMUST Registry cleaner" and both were very good in this.

Compare this with the freeware "RegSeeker" and you will see the HUGE difference. The ignore feature of "RegSeeker" is a joke and very amateuristic.

3. I don't like the idea of using a registry cleaner for periodical cleaning, like many users do, because that's makes the use of a registry cleaner "dangerous".
    I will use "TuneUp Utilities" in combination with installing/uninstalling (Total Uninstall) of EACH legitimate software and that makes the report list of "TuneUp Utilities" very small, suitable for CAREFULL reading and making safe decisions in removing or not removing registries.
    In most cases I won't need "TuneUp Utilities", because "Total Uninstall" will do an excellent job, I only use it to check the results of "Total Uninstall".
    Registry cleaning is just one feature of "TuneUp Utilities", it does alot more than that and that makes the investment right.

Besides legitimate softwares, there are also many softwares, that users (including ME) like to try, just to see what it is : beta softwares, goodlooking screensavers, ... whatever you can think of.
    These are very "dangerous" activities and there is only one group of softwares that allow you to do this : FD-ISR, RollbackRx, DeepFreeze, ShadowUser, ..., because these softwares are able to bring your system back in a healthy state, including your REGISTRY.
    In the worst scenarios, you still have your IMAGE BACKUP/RESTORE to avoid an installation from scratch.

With a ROUTINE discipline and a good combination of softwares, I must be able to keep my registry clean and safe from the beginning and if it FAILS, I will be the first one to tell you about it. :D

3. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I've just downloaded and installed TuneUp Utilities 2006, and here's the findings with the 3 registry cleaner on my pc:

EasyCleaner v2 - no invalid entries

RegSeeker v1.45 - found 504 invalid entries

TuneUp Utilities 2006 - found 609 problems on the first scan, then on the 2nd run after the 1st problem were fixed/cleaned still found 216 problems. All in all more than 800 invalid entries were found. I am anxious and felt nervous on cleaning those what it found, but as I have remembered that this tool is one of the most popular "as safe" and aside from being good looking then I just decided to fixed and cleaned everything it found. Of course b4 i run the registry cleaner I made first a system restore point just in case.

TuneUp Utilities 2006 really looks good and has lots of features combined into one package, if ever i won in lotto then I'll probably buy this stuff. :D :D

4. ErikAlbert

Yes, "TuneUp Utilities 2006" is the Rolls-Royce of the registry cleaners. ;)

5. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Tune Up is amazingly inexpensive for all the little gizmos it has. :thumb: :thumb:

The JV16 and RegSupreme boyz know their job and these are reliable products. :thumb:

Also ACE Utilities gets a thumbs up too. :thumb:

6. ravin

ravin Registered Member

Erik, I noticed you didn't include microsoft's registry cleaner/tuneup from their safety scanner site. Any reason? I have used it on several occasions and checking the items found for removal all seem valid to me. just curious of your thoughts.

7. ErikAlbert

Yes I had a very good reason : I didn't know about Microsoft's Registry Cleaner when I did this test. After all there are sooo manyyy of them.
    However if it comes to application softwares, M$ is almost never my first choice. Most MS Applications are mediocre compared with 3th party softwares. :)

8. ravin

ravin Registered Member

fair enough..but in case your interested in trying it http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm?s_cid=sah

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I use Regsupreme Pro. As a semi literate pc user, I only delete what I know is safe. Usually if I can figure out what it is from recognizing a word in the description, and then back it up, I'll dump it. I initially had about 400 entries when I installed Regsupreme Pro, and am down to 90 that I'm afraid to touch. Good enough.

10. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

This M$ Safety Live Cleaner is so crappy that it will download the Active X control, start to install it in my system and then just stays there forever with a blank window and has to be killed externally as it will neither do or ask anything nor go away at all.. :gack:

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Advanced System Optimizer v2.0 http://www.systweak.com/asov2/ contains all you need to clean and optimize your computer. There are several other tweaks that you can adjust in the System Optimizer Window. I have uses this for a while, and my system is in top shape :cool:

12. true north

true north Registered Member

Excellent work ErikAlbert !!!!

13. ErikAlbert

Keep in mind that this test was posted on 2006.05.02, more than 6 months ago.
    Alot of registry cleaners had new releases since then and I'm quite sure that the results would be very different, if I would do the test again.
    So you can't really trust these old results anymore. Nevertheless thanks for appreciating my work, because it took alot of time to do this test, especially when you have only one computer, like poor me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.