SafeSpace and Bufferzone uninstall issue

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by IceCube1010, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Hi

I had at one time used SafeSpace and uninstalled the program because of various reasons. I also had installed Bufferzone and had uninstalled for various reasons. My question is this: I have 2 directories on my harddrive that I cannot delete. My first directory is located in: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Artificial Dynamics...... I cannot delete this directory even in Safe mode! I tried scanning the registry for any trace but have come up empty. My other directory is: C:\Virtual.... This was created by Bufferzone and I cannot delete this either. Even in Safe Mode.

Does anyone have any idea how to delete these directories. Note: they are not causing any system problem that I know of but just an annoyance.

thanks for any input,
    Ice

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap,install safespace again with no other security apps in your pc install and and then delete it again and the problem will go away i had same problem with bufferzone and comodo and it works fine:thumb:

3. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I think unlocker will do it.Are those folders empty??If not better leave them i think.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

SOme programs leave their services hanging around (like Maxxblast schedule2) or remove ownership of current user.

Best thing is to install and uninstall with revo uninstaller set to high

5. capii

capii Registered Member

Please Read This: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2111337,00.asp

He says,
    "The utility's virtualization doesn't work as seamlessly as that of Altiris SVS (software that's not specifically security-related) or GreenBorder. BufferZone moves protected files to folders in a separate virtual repository and replaces the originals with shortcuts. For example, it would move a file named C:\Malware\bad.exe to C:\Virtual\Untrusted\C_\Malware.bad.exe and replace the file with a shortcut named bad.exe.virtual.lnk. A program outside the zone—Windows Explorer, for example—will see the shortcut. Applications inside the zone will be fooled into thinking that they see the original file. When they write to or read that file, BufferZone redirects their actions to the copy it moved into its repository. To store virtualized Registry keys, BufferZone uses a similar technique, which causes Start menu items added by programs in the zone to have names like "My Program.virtual"—an odd side effect."

I'm a newbie and so I could be wrong, but it sounds pretty dangerous to remove the folders.

6. IceCube1010

thanks. I think I'll try that with both softwares and see if they completly remove themselves.

Thanks Kees, I try that Revo uninstaller thing and give that a go as well.

thanks again for the ideas.

Ice

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

your welcome:thumb:

8. IceCube1010

Well, here's the results. I installed Safespace,rebooted, then uninstalled with REVO, rebooted and the directory was gone! :D However, I installed Bufferzone, rebooted, then uninstalled with REVO, rebooted and the directory is still there. C:\Virtual..... When I try and delete it, I get the error: Cannot delete ILOF787U: Access is denied. Does anyone have a clue as to what this is? This is the whole directory path that I cannot get rid of:
    C:\Virtual\Untrusted\C_\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ILOF787U

I tried deleting this in Safe mode but the same thing. Just short of formatting the drive, is there another way to delete this thing?

appreciate all the help,
    Ice

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

install it again and uninstall it but now in safe mode:thumb:

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Please also check your temp directory of IE (in IE options)

Install http://www.fajo.de/portal/index.php?lang=en&option=content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=0 when on XP Home, when on XP Pro use security tab, when on Vista also. Check who has ownership/access rights of that file.

Download a killbox http://killbox.net/ to check whether it is in use. Try to kill process with Killbox and search with runscanner whether this is a default start up process (and disable it)

Tried REVO at highest setting?

11. IceCube1010

Very good idea. I had to uninstall CIS this way because it was messing up my internet connection when I uninstalled from the OS proper. I will try and post back.

Kees, I will try those 2 utilities you mentioned also.

thanks again
    Ice

12. IceCube1010

Ok here is what I encountered. The 2 utilities for deleting locked files did not work. However, they are good to keep in your tool kit. I tried to uninstall Bufferzone in Safe mode but had the problem the Windows installer does not work in safe mode. Does anyone know how to start the windows installer in safe mode. Note: I'm running WinXP pro (sp3). In Vista you can uninstall in safe mode but not in XP.

thanks again
    Ice

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

did you tried it in safe mode with network?

14. IceCube1010

Yes. But apparently, you can't use the installer service in Safe mode with WinXP pro. I know in Vista you can uninstall in Safe mode but not in XP pro. Would you happen to know how to start the installer service in safe mode in XP pro?

thanks
    Ice

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

no sorry i dont use the xp pro.any way did you tried to rename it and then delete the b
    ufferzone file?

16. IceCube1010

Yep. I tried to rename the file but it would not let me. There is some kind of hook on this directory. I am going to start a thread, how to start the installer in Safe mode for XP pro.

thanks for all your help
    Al

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

or a app that for sure destroy the bufferzone files history:D
    did you tried the bufferzone forum,maybe they have a spcecial uninstaller for you

18. IceCube1010

I noticed a really long delay on getting any response so I posted here. I will probably have to try. I didn't think this would be so hard to do. I guess I was wrong. I'll post back if I can figure it out.

Ice

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it happen to me before it is very bad

20. IceCube1010

This Bufferzone is a real nightmare. It should be called the TwilightZone. I can't install it now, it fails on the install. I will try posting at their forum.

Ice

21. SA Jack

SA Jack Registered Member

I've also had problems trying to delete SafeSpace. I've posted on AD's forum, but the support there is essentially nonexistent. Also posted on a few others with very little success in terms of a fix. It was only when I read this thread where I see that a user was actually able to delete the "virtual" folders created by SafeSpace.

I've tried using Unlocker, and no luck. Unlocker indicates that it has unlocked the folders, however, I'm unable to delete them.

I've tried Revo several times, including the "advanced" mode. During the uninstall, SafeSpace wants Revo closed. However, I clicked "Ignore" because I would not be able to go beyond SafeSpace's normal uninstall. After clicking "Ignore", the uninstall was completed. Revo found the specific folder in questions (C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Artificial Dynamics\). It indicated it deleted the folder. However, after rebooting, the folders (and their 66MB of occupied space remained.

I even took over ownership of the folders as was suggested on this and a couple of other forums.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. The folders don't cause any problems, other than wasting too much space.

Thanks -SA Jack

I'm running XP, SP-3, Comodo CIS 3.5 (Firewall Only), Avast 4.8 (Latest Build).

22. IceCube1010

Well, here's the results. I installed Safespace,rebooted, then uninstalled with REVO, rebooted and the directory was gone! This worked for me. I still have the problem with Bufferzone. I kind of gave up at the moment.

Ice

23. SA Jack

SA Jack Registered Member

I've tried Revo Uninstaller several times. As I noted in my post, SafeSpace Uninstall wanted me to exit Revo, however I ignored because I would not be able to delete registry info or file data that needed to be cleaned-up. Also, Revo did reference the files that I wanted to delete, however, it was unable to remove them after I rebooted.

I also tried a program, recommended on Windows Secrets called Move on Boot by Gibbins. Concept was great of having the folders deleted before Wndows got hold of them. However, even that program was ineffective.

Not sure what to do now. Thanks for responding. -SA Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.