Safeonline blocking Snagit captures

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Biscuit, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Hi

Since upgrading to Safeonline, I believe that Snagit captures of web pages are being blocked by the security. I know that I can disable Safeonline before the capture to make it work, but this is a short term fix & very inconvenient as I use this feature several times a day. How do I fix this please?

Snagit v9.1.3 (build 19)

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

If you change the SafeOnline configuration from Maximum to High, it will allow screen captures to take place.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

3. Biscuit

Thanks Joe, but changing the Safeonline config is site-by-site isn't it? Or can I do a global change?

Edit: The setting for http sites as been left at "low". As an example, I can't even screen capture a page from Wilders.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  4. PrevxHelp

You can make a global change - the default setting for HTTPS websites is to block screen capture (on Maximum) but lowering that setting should fix it. HTTP websites, by default, shouldn't block screen capture but if you visit any HTTPS website within a session, the browser will be secured from screen capture for the entire session.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you experience anything different.

5. Biscuit

Thanks, but as I mentioned, it also blocks a screen capture here at Wilders.I just get a white screen.

6. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Was having same problem as Biscuit, nothing but a white screen. Even after changing to medium/rebooting didn't do the trick, but turning off Safeonline allowed this screenshot.

7. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Made post before making screenie:

Attached Files:

8. PrevxHelp

You may need to actually change it to "High" instead of "Medium", depending on how SnagIt takes screen captures. Prevx uses multiple different techniques to block screen capture and one of the techniques will be disabled if you configure it to High, which should allow you to take screenshots after rebooting your PC.

Let me know if you're still getting screenshots blocked if opening a browser only to Wilders and I'll see if there might be a way to reproduce this internally.

9. PatG

PatG Registered Member

No go Joe, prevx safeonline on, get a msg saying to the effect that a signal has been received for a capture and do I want to proceed. After saying yes, another window pops up and tells me that I can now proceed, but when invoking the pressing the "prtScn" kb key, get the white screen on ANY WEBSITE. And this is anywhere from Medium to High, makes no diff.

Turning off safeonline allows the screenie. Bug somewhere?

10. Biscuit

I understand. So if I run a Logmein rescue (which is secure) at any time in the browser session, Snagit does not work. I understand this also applies to any https session, e.g. Banking etc.

OK, so a fresh session, Snagit does capture within Wilders - although I do see a white screen flash just before taking the capture.

But Joe, this is not really workable. I use Snagit daily, possibly hourly & also Logmein & other https sessions. It's very scruffy having to restart the browser when I want to make a capture... & pretty well unworkable when in a Logmein session.

A little scruffy thing I noticed is that if running Safeonline & clicking configure, it auto adds whatever site is on the screen with full security & saves it - even if the config is closed without saving. I'll bet a lot of users are going to build up some non-working websites with that feature?

11. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

Yes, I noticed this. Its not pretty. It would be much better if Configure just bought up the list and Add Protection added protection. It would mean if you wanted to add protection and then immediately change the configuration you would have to click two buttons, but it would be more logical.

The Save button seems to be implemented inconsistently too - some changes need to be saved and some don't.

I dare not even try Reset as I don't know if it resets the current item or deletes all my entries and carefully entered confidential data.

12. PrevxHelp

Based on the frequency of your screenshots, I'd definitely recommend just permanently configuring it down to High from Maximum. The screen grabber protection doesn't remain very useful when the users themselves run screenshot programs frequently so it would be best to just turn it down to High and leave the antimalware functionality of Prevx to remove known malicious screengrabbers.

This is intentional - it saves the step of a user thinking they're going to "Configure" the protection, as in, put protection in place when not previously having it. We've bounced around between the behavior of the Configure button previously and automatically configuring maximum protection has resulted in the fewest amount of confusion, but we'll definitely take another look at it if we see users disliking the behavior.

13. PrevxHelp

We agree - the "Save" button will save changes to the basic slider-bar based protection levels. The other areas, like credential protection, are saved automatically when added because there is already another function to remove them if selected. The main benefit of not saving the slider bars immediately is that the user can just close the window to revert back to their previous settings.

Reset will reset all of the configuration (albeit with a warning) so we'd definitely recommend not doing that if you've spent time configuring everything :)

14. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

But clicking Add Protection also sets the protection to MAXIMUM and this is what the user should be clicking. The problem with the existing approach is that a user can't easily configure his/her list of protected sites from within the browser without accumulating extra sites unless he/she remembers to remove them.

Also, as you have it the +Add button at the far right of the "address bar" in the Configuration screen is only useful if a user types a URL in manually.

Can I make a suggestion ... ? :)

If you want the option of Adding Protection AND Viewing the Configure Screen (so the protection level can be changed for example), SafeOnline should have a "Split Button" for Add Protection. This could be used to either Add Protection (as now), or Add Protection and View Configuration. The split button would have a little drop down arrow on the right which would lead to a menu with options for (i) Add Protection, (ii) Add protection and Configure. Clicking the main button but not the arrow would just do the last preferred Action (effectively allowing the user to choose his/her default for the main button action).

(I might not have explained this very well. The Windows Snipping tool has a Split Button. The colour pallette in word has one too. There's also an example of a Split Button labelled Open on this microsoft website http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511453.aspx)

This way the Configure button could be just for configuring the list of protected sites or maintenance etc. (The "address bar" would then be empty in case the user wanted to type a URL in and use the +Add button.)

Hope this is a useful suggestion.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  15. Biscuit

Thanks Joe

I will look at reducing the default https protection, but at the moment, I've still got it disabled due to the mouse scroll issue.

I think you know that only a few advanced users will bother to configure Safeonline. The majority will click on the button thinking "I wonder what that does". Meanwhile they've probably broken their use of the site currently on screen as Prevx has added it to the protection list without any input from them. The 5% of advanced users can fix this, the other 95% are in trouble.

16. PrevxHelp

I know what you mean and I agree with it :) I'll see what we can do with adding this as a more "Microsoft-suggested" usability improvement (as many other apps use this same technique to differentiate granular features).

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

17. PrevxHelp

Yes, true - but we also have seen that non-technical users don't click the Prevx tab or "Add Protection" or "Configure" at all. Of the ones that do, our help file and our tech support team are pretty good at walking users through resetting or making further adjustments to the security.

It is non-trivial to manage security on a per-domain basis and do it logically without making a database for the user to try and sift through. If you (or anyone :)) have any suggestions on improving our usability, we're definitely interested in hearing them! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.