SafenSecure Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by richrf, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

For users of SafeNSecure:

I was reading some threads on the SafeNSecure user forum,

http://star-force.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

and it seems like the members there were likening SnS to Prevx, while from the descriptions of the products, SnS seems more like ProcessGuard with some built in heuristics to differentiate "good applications" from malicious ones. I understand that Star Force is building in system file protection into the product, but my understanding is that at this time, it is monitoring process activity similar to the way ProcessGuard. However, I do not know whether it has the other features that PG has (protection, rootkit prevention, etc), so there is probably some overlapping features and some unique features to each product.

Can anyone clarify - if it is at all possible? Thanks.

Rich

2. James Taylor

James Taylor Guest

I can't tell what a product does from reading the website of most security products. They are usually just a series of marketing slogans about how they make your computer immune to spyware, adware , worms. But not how.

From the forums it seems that it's protection currently extends to registry , files and folders relating to IE and Windows . This makes it very similar to PrevX.

It does not yet have the ability to block driver installs, prevent processes from being terminated/modified/suspended, block hooks dll injection etc.

It does have execution protection but like processguard it's fairly basic, you can't specify which processes can start which ones. It does protect itself fairly well.

The main advantage of SafenSecure appears to be that it can be intergretd with a Antivirus, and the prompts are a lot more informative then from PG and it seems a little 'smarter' and easier to use for newbies.

It's a nice all in one package. But my combo of PG+Regdefend+SSM+PrevxPro
    is more than sufficient.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi James,

Thanks for the additional info.

kareldjag seems to like this package.

http://star-force.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8

It does provide a good amount of protection in a single package. But it seems like a combination, of the type that you have, provides more - but also there is the issue of overlapping protection.

I am currently using KAV+WormGuard+ProcessGuard+RegDefend. You are more successful than I was in being able to install SSM and Prevx Pro.

Rich

4. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi rich,

James Taylor has quite summarized my point of view.

As an application firewall, Safe'n'Sec is more effective than ProcessGuard or System Safety Monitor.
    And consequently it might be interesting to combine it with PrevX which does not have execution protection.

And considering the efficiency and the best value for money of the full package (AV + S'n'S), i can just approve this product; especially in comparison with Principal antivirus (no signature) for instance which i consider as waste of money.

As a consumer, i defend firstly a large available choice and the best value for money.

regards

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi kareldjag,

Thanks for your comments. For clarification purposes:

1) Does SnS provide registry/file protection services as James indicates in his message

"From the forums it seems that it's protection currently extends to registry , files and folders relating to IE and Windows . This makes it very similar to PrevX."

If yes, then would you still suggest that Prevx Pro is needed in conjunction.

2) It appears that ProcessGuard at this time does provide some additional important capabilities that I think SnS has in the works but which are still not available - e.g. from James' message: "It does not yet have the ability to block driver installs, prevent processes from being terminated/modified/suspended, block hooks dll injection etc."

Do you think that these are not needed or do you feel that the protection that SnS provides in other areas compensates?

3) RegDefend appears to be more extensible - as evidenced in the extensions provided by Tony Klein and Kent in the RegDefend forum. Do you feel that this extensibility is not necessary because SnS is already covering all aspects of the registry that need to be covered?

4) Are there specific aspects of the SnS package that you can point to (without too much effort since I do not want to over occupy your time) that you feel provide more effective protection than ProcessGuard and SSM?

Thanks for any additional information. I have always found your posts to be most informative.

Rich

6. James Taylor

James Taylor Guest

If I had to choose only one , I would of course choose this, since it's going to be a more complete solution that either PG or RD alone.

As you said It does have the big advanatage of being a all in one package, and with the improvements that are coming, it should be a reasonable powerful package combining the merits of ProcessGuard+PrevxPro+Regedefend.

A very good one for those who don't like to play with security software.

It does take a bit more tweaking and a well maintained computer to pull it off I admit. But it's stable, uses a spectrum of products from different companies and is not too intrusive.

Well after a long period of training anyway.

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

It's a very new program but I believe they will make it better, most of the things is mentioned here now but already planned for next versions...it will be a more complete product and a combination.

it doesn't use a lot of resources and didn't slowed anything down. on another computer it just wouldn't work good.

I'll definately be following this product how it evolves.

8. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

Rich:

In the Safe'n'Sec web page, there is a link on the Testimonials area which point on my test page: i' hope that you'll find a beginning of answer.

I've reviewed 12 proactive solutions for home user and i'm just waiting for the answer (tests verification) of 2 no well known publishers to post them in this forum: then i hope that any user will be able to make some comparisons between PrevX vs ProcessGuard vs SSM vs Safe'n'Sec etc.

The best manner to make a neutral opinion is to try the product by yourself: that which works well for me (a paid IDS) or James Taylor or user "lambda" is not necessarily recommended for you or user "omega".

As an application firewall on "total mode", i've not found more effective product: even during the boot, the control is impressive.
    Another quality is that this product does not suffered of any incompatibility with any security soft (scanners or proactive): then this current version can be used with PG/SSM (with execution control/watch application activity diasbled) or PrevX.

PG provides more level security against advanced malwares and combine prevention and detection features (SnS is more a detection soft).

SnS acts as "registry firewall": alerts informations shows what key is in used.
    But we can't configure it specifically for a registry protection as we could do with RegDefend or RegRun.

On your already strong line defense, it seems that SnS is not really needfull.
    On the other hand, SnS can detect what PG execution control can't: it's always a personal choice!

regards

9. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

10. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks all for comments and links. Very helpful.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.