Safe'N'Sec Review

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SDS909, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Blue

No discussion that I've found, but from the one problem I am having, which is a shutdown issue, given I've seen it before with some other Kernel level software in early stages, I suspect that this fellow is also monitoring at that level. Tried Regtest with this program, Giant, and Spysweeper all running. On test 1 when I allowed Regtest, Safe'n'Sec caught almost all 5 whereas Giant, and Spysweeper were asleep at the switch. Yes it is an interesting product.

Pete

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I cannot see any reason why I cannot use it next to my RD and PG...I've been in contact with these guys and they are very responsive and they answer to all my questions.

version 1.1 will be released in a few days.

it is at kernel level, so no poller and the strict policy should be good enough :)

I find it to fill some gaps between pg and rd so I think I'll keep it,

cheers.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Peter,

Just for clarification:

When you ran your Regtest tests, did you have any other security programs running, e.g. ProcessGuard, RegDefend, an AV?

I also experienced a shutdown problem with SnS installed (I had to force explorer shutdown). Maybe the product will evolve into something interesting, but I think there has to be a more active dialog with the developer (such as Jason's participation on this board) before I would want to permanently install it on my machine. I guess it goes to the question of what is a "trusted source" for kernal level programs?

Rich

4. Peter2150

When I ran the Regtest, I had everything active, and allowed Regdefend to pass the Regtest efforts.

Re the shutdown problem, I am in dialog with the developers now. Work around is just disable Safe'n'Sec before shutdown and it is fine.

5. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

I'm told Safe'n'Sec 1.1 gets released tomorrow.

6. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hot Dog !!!

7. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

I just noticed Safe'n'Sec also stops Services from being installed/executed.. A game I just bought (Act of War) uses SecuROM v7 which installs a service and runs 24/7 and if its turned off, the game reinstalls it everytime you run it.

SNS stopped it and actually removed the service from the list in admin. The nice part, when I launch the game it still plays without the service running.

8. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

9. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

9:04 pm and still no 1.1 .

10. Peter2150

Just fired off a long email to tech support. Earlier today they sent me a beta of 1.1 to see if it would solve the shutdown problem. (I am using the full paid version).

It might have solved the shutdown problem, but I never was able to get the computer up and running. It would hang on login and need a power reset to get it going. Most bothersome was I was given a new key to use, which mean reactivation. This proved to be a royal pain, and of the 4 hours I spent trying to test 2 hours were totally wasted because of being entangled in the activation process. At the end of the email I STRONGLY recommended they consider changing this. This will seriously hurt this product. Be very anxious to see their reply.

Pete

11. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

If I had to guess, i'd say if you are running all that stuff in your tag, something is probably conflicting. So far i'm running Safe'n'Sec on 4 boxes here, and 22 at work with no issues. (Yes they purchased that many licenses)

Activation was smooth here as well.

I did have a friend have trouble with Safe'n'Sec hanging, but then again, he has problems with everything. So he reformatted today and everythings fine. I think his last format was 9 months prior.. Ack!

I suspect 1.1 being delayed was from your issue.

12. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

1.1 is running very nice here...I am told that this is just the beginning of the product, it will evolve and this is a raw construct on how it is going to be.

they are very dedicated to this product and offer truely good support.

I am impressed :thumbs!!

13. Peter2150

Hi SDS909

Couple of points.

1. A few other people had the same issue
    2. Actually right now 1.0 is running fairly smoothly and the shutdown issue is gradually dropping off.
    3. Activation first time thru went fine. but....
    4. I never got 1.1 up and running. Whatever change they made worsened things.
    5. On the activation issue, I have several real problems with it. With the beta they sent a new key. When I first did the uninstall (using their) uninstaller) and reinstalled the new program it didn't ask for the key. Finally dawned on me what was happening and I had to use regedit to remove all the registry keys, so I could do a clean install. (Tried an uninstaller I use and still had to do that) This is not acceptable, as it implies when I do an upgrade, I am going to get a new key and have to use regedit. 9 out of 10 users won't be able to do this. I also don't like that the activation requires me to be online while actually installing. I have stuff shut down at this point, and this is unacceptable. Take a look at how Process Guard and RegDefend handle this. Their programs come up in the trial mode. Then you cut and paste in a long key and your alive. Program upgrades don't require changing anything, but if they do, the new version just comes up again in trial mode.

6. What is on my machine shouldn't be an issue. When I first got involved with beta testing with DCS it was due to my machine being very unhappy with Process Guard. I search for all kinds of conflicts, and ultimately as DCS ironed out Process Guard the issues went away, and now Process Guard is stable as a rock. Wasn't any conflict with my other software. Prevx runs fine on my setup, just slow, as many others have noticed. So I suspect that Safensec has some issues they still need to work out, and thats fine. BUT....

7. In beta testing, these issues, there are multiple times of resetting the machine back to before I started and taking a different run to see if the problem can be identified. This is where the activation process really showed itself to be a pain. It really doubled the time I spent trying to identify what was going on with the beta, and finally just wore me down. As I told Konstantin, this level of activation is probably fine for their copy software as IT professionals are dealing with it, but for the average home user in a $30 product it is overkill.

8. I think they have a great concept and it is a very light product, and I will keep trying to help them.

Pete

14. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

I agree the activation needs to be toned down, its a bit extreme. But keep in mind this is a brand new product, and they are very open to suggestions. So keep suggesting good things and i'm sure they will change.

I do love the product now though, and have had nothing but great luck so far.

15. Peter2150

I agree. Wouldn't have wasted the time writing what I did or trying to get it to work, if I didn't

Pete

16. peachtreecity

peachtreecity Registered Member

Safe'n'Sec 1.1 is up on Starforce's webpage!

17. Peter2150

Doesn't say anything about an upgrade

18. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Woot! I just noticed that.. Downloading it now.

19. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Well I upgraded to 1.1 and now I have Peters dreaded "Won't Shutdown" problem...

ARRRRGH.. We need to let them know this is a huge and widespread problem with this version now apparently.

20. richrf

richrf Registered Member

At this point, I would say that there are at least five reasons that I am much more comfortable with products such as ProcessGuard and RegDefend than I am about SnS:

1) I understand and am comfortable PG and RD's technical design architecture, features, and objectives. SnS is a bit obscure for me right now - but I realize that this may change over time as there are further discussions.

2) PG and RD are being developed by trusted sources who actively participate in discussions. SnS as a company is an unknown company and it is not clear to be whether or not they should be trusted at the kernal level - i.e. I should give them PG "clearance".

3) PG and RD did not exhibit or create any abnormal behavior when installed. I believe that the shutdown problems that SnS creates is probably an acute problem and will be solved in a relatively short period of time. However, it is not clear to me why PG should alert me that "changes" were made to ZoneAlarm after I installed SnS. This type of abnormal installation behavior creates substantial questions in my mind.

4) PG and RD had active forums from Day 1. At present there are no active support forums for SnS. I would guess that this can be easily rectified when the company is ready to create such a forum.

Still, the product looks interesting and I hope it develops into an excellent security product.

Rich

21. Peter2150

Well shutdown is now a minor issue. I can't get 1.1 up in any flavor. After getting nowhere with the 1.1 beta they sent me, I downloaded the trial of 1.1 off the website. Tried all variations of uninstalling 1.0 and installing 1.1. No luck. Just emailed them the latest results. Haven't heard yet.

Pete

22. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

The trial key wont work on mine once I uninstalled 1.0 to install 1.1 . This is a key that they sent as I had previously uninstalled 1.0 3 weeks ago. They need to lighten up there policy with this . It would be interesting to know does your key once purchased not work if you uninstall the programm more than once or twice to refomatt down the line even with a purchased version.
    Has any one noticed any changes or improvements with 1.1 compared to 1.0 ?

23. Peter2150

In my experimenting I downloaded the Trial 1.1 from the website. Didn't come with any key, so I tried the key I had from the 1.0 purchase. It worked. I actually got 1.1 working once and didn't notice any surface difference, but there obviously are differences, as I can't get 1.1 to work. Computer hangs while desktop is loading.

24. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Obviously a small bump in the road. Its a brand new product, so i'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Support so far seems excellent. Hopefully we can get one of them over to this forum to post about it.

I think its a bit rash to write it off. I found both PG and RD to be unpolished products that weren't very attractive for me to run in both functionality and interface. I MUCH prefer SNS over them, and I do love the added benefit of a great on-demand AV scanner embedded in the product.

I'm sticking with SNS, the shutdown problem is only on my backup machine, my main one is fine. I'll work with them to find the issue with the backup machine and move on. I do agree they need to relax their activation system by a huge margin, its far too annoying.

I'm sticking with SNS.

25. Peter2150

I am not ready to write off SNS although Process Guard and RegDefend are my trusted apps. Just because I am very familiar with both the developers and software, and both products work.

I think SNS has good fill in potential, but right now I don't really have a functioning product. Didn't here from them today, so I am waiting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.